PSA: Any diet that prohibits certain foods is a bad diet.

Options

Replies

• sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    from the day we're born we start dying, ain't no way out & no going back

so, do what you want to do, drink what you want to drink and eat what you want to eat,

in moderation :glasses:
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Actually they all work if you actually follow them.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    So, vegitarians that are completely healthy, live a life on a bad diet?
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    who are you to say what is and isn't a bad diet?

moreover, why should people eat foods that make them ill?

seems to me there are plenty of reasons for people not to eat certain foods.

^^^^^ Could not agree more.

Food is the best medicine there is - if you eat what your body truly needs. I am living proof of food as medicine, but I'm not going to go into detail. Just wanted to say that your PSA isn't entirely accurate. Maybe it is for you. Maybe it seems right for many people. But not for myself and many others.
  • LoveCR22
    LoveCR22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that the majority of folks who are jumping in to agree with you are significantly far from reaching their goals.

just. saying.

You might want to double check that. How's it going with *your* goals?

just saying

His goal he reached? :huh:
    I would think he's doing something right by his ticker...

If people want to eat pop tarts or mcd's everyday and count calories for life that's their choice if people want to eat nothing but fish and do a rain dance around their meals before eating it, or anywhere in between the two why does it really matter?

Do what works for you and don't worry about other people's choices and maybe then the forum would be filled with less childish topics and people could actually find helpful topics easier.

Dude - if he's at his goal, why is his ticker at the far *left* instead of far *right*

My ONLY point, was that a lot of the people agreeing with the OP were actually NOT significantly far from reaching their goals. A good portion of them are just as close to their goal as he is, if not significantly closer, or already at goal.

Yay for reading comprehension.

Really you want argue over the fact his ticker isn't facing the right way for you to understand it, despite the big zero pounds to go right in front of you? Which clearly show's he has reached his goal.

*pat on head

Have fun with that.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you and stop labeling what other people choose to do as "bad" or "good". Can't we all just get along?
  • aspireforfitness
    Options
    Agreed.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Beating the dead horse again, are we? Why are you so offended by the notion that some people don't want to eat EVERY food available on this planet?

What about a diet that someone chooses specifically for themselves (that may be based off of a diet such as paleo/primal or "clean" eating but with personal tweaks and variations, or simply a diet based off of foods the individual considers healthy) that excludes "trigger foods" that are likely to cause binge-eating?

For example, I no longer keep cookies or chips or other junky things in the house for myself. We buy them at the grocery store but they are for my boyfriend, who is not restricting what he eats at all (and I do not resent him for that). I prefer not to have very much on hand at all, but like I said, it would be unfair of me to enforce that rule when he is at a healthy weight and I am not.

I have sworn off fast food for a month because I have been slipping up and eating it on a near-daily basis, and the big reasons are: it makes me feel like crap after I eat it (I get horrible heartburn, lethargy, etc), it is generally less cost-efficient than cooking at home, and eating fast food does not truly satisfy me-- an hour or two later I want something more to stuff in my face.

I am avoiding certain foods not only for health reasons from a nutrient perspective, but also for health reasons from a consumption perspective. If I have a box of cookies in front of me, 9 times out of 10 I will not be able to stop after just 1 cookie. That's just not in the cards for me right now. 6 months, a year from now? Hopefully, because I would like to be able to enjoy treats in moderation.

But please stop telling me and others like me that we are wrong in wanting to cut out certain foods while we learn better eating habits.
  • LoveCR22
    LoveCR22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

so, do what you want to do, drink what you want to drink and eat what you want to eat,

True story.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Beating the dead horse again, are we? Why are you so offended by the notion that some people don't want to eat EVERY food available on this planet?

Not eating a food because you don't want to/are allergic to it is very different from not eating foods you WANT to eat because some diet expert told you not to.

That's what this is about. Denying yourself foods that you want, because some "diet plan" says you have to, is bad.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I agree if by "diet" you mean to lose weight. Eliminating or prohibiting any food groups because you will lose weight faster is wrong. A calorie deficit is how to achieve weight loss. However, there are lots of health reasons people have to eliminate foods other then the obvious medical conditions like allergies or intolerances. The health reason to eliminate a food maybe as simple as they feel better without it. For example: I feel better with little to no wheat because wheat makes me bloated. I do not have a medical condition to eliminate it and I do not do it for weight loss.

You can not dictate peoples personal choice to eat or not to eat whatever they want in their "diet" as described below.

From dictionary.com

di·et
    /ˈdī-it/Noun
    1.The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
    2.A legislative assembly in certain countries.

Also, I want to know what people think will happen if "prohibit" a food for a long period of time and then start eating it again? Like I said before for the most part I don't eat wheat or dairy. I went 3 months without both and then I started eating them both again for a short period. I didn't develop an allergy. I didn't gain any weight back. Nothing happened. Nothing except of course wheat still makes me bloated and dairy still gives me gas and acne which were my reasons for eliminating them in the first place.

Temporary or long term.... IMO it doesnt really matter. Again it's a personal choice what to eat and what not to eat (unless adviced by a doctor). My only suggestion is when you eliminate something make sure you supplementing for the loss of nutreints either with another food that contains the same nutrients or by a health supplement.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. I'm vegetarian, 3rd generation. For me, meat is bad.

My son has a ton of allergies. His diet is strict for a reason. And because of that strict diet, we do give him chicken or turkey every so often.

My other son is sensitive to gluten and peas. So I avoid those while nursing. That's not bad.

After a lot of research, I and my children's doctors agree that GMOs are probably one of the major causes of my sons' allergies. So avoiding GMOs is not bad.

Really, it should be about lifestyle. I'm not saying anyone should avoid certain things or not avoid them, but figure out what works for you and do it, and please don't make it sound as though people who chose to avoid certain foods have made a bad choice.

Of course, trying to force their diet on you, now *that's* bad!

FYI: allergies are an autoimmune disorder. Do you think it's possible that your choices based on "meat is bad" (I'd do some more research, if I were you, and I would argue that grain cultivation in the absense of animals is even more unethical than eating animals, especially wild or grassfed animals) may have hurt your children.... Yeah, I know you won't be able to hear that.

I have a strict diet too, so I get that part, but children need lots of nutrients, especially FAT and protein. And the best sources of those come from animals. Forcing a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle on children is unethical to me, but we have the right to do whatever we want to our kids I guess.
  • sixout
    Options

aka, don't do what you want, or eat what you want, or drink what you want. because if it was what you wanted, you wouldn't have to limit it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

He's trying to gain weight, and MFP's tickers don't really work that way.

They do, if you do it right.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

That's what this is about. Denying yourself foods that you want, because some "diet plan" says you have to, is bad.
    [/quote]

^^this defination I agree with!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Really you want argue over the fact his ticker isn't facing the right way for you to understand it, despite the big zero pounds to go right in front of you? Which clearly show's he has reached his goal.

*pat on head

Have fun with that.

clearly he hasn't, if he's trying to gain weight.

Have fun with working on your reading comprehension. *pats on head*
  • sixout
    Options

Not eating a food because you don't want to/are allergic to it is very different from not eating foods you WANT to eat because some diet expert told you not to.

Limiting yourself is also denying yourself something you want, it's denying you of more of that stuff. That's what a diet is, limiting things you eat, to what's best for you.

If you say "EAT EVERYTHING YOU WANT! in moderation" that's the exact as saying, eat in moderation, so not everything you want.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options

aka, don't do what you want, or eat what you want, or drink what you want. because if it was what you wanted, you wouldn't have to limit it.

It's dinner time here in the UK, I want a beer before my dinner so I'm going to have one; doesn't mean I want 20 :glasses:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, what? :huh:
  • sixout
    Options

It's dinner time here in the UK, I want a beer before my dinner so I'm going to have one; doesn't mean I want 20 :glasses:

So you only WANT one. You HAVE one. That's not limitation.
This discussion has been closed.