Love your fat *kitten*? Stop running on the treadmill!

Options
Here is an interesting article about one woman's experience.
http://m.xojane.com/healthy/the-treadmill-ate-my-*kitten*-or-how-to-avoid-treadmill-*kitten*-syndrome

Thank God I hate the treadmill.

Replies

• phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    or run as much as you want, but also do any sort of resistance training so the type II fibres in your *kitten* don't atrophy while losing weight.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    or put the treadmill on an incline.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    This is what a few of the comments suggest. Some others say to use the stair climber instead.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article, I walk on my treadmill I just read if you put it on an incline it is better to keep your round booty.

Thanks
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    If you love yourself at all it's best to avoid the treadmill altogether and take a run outside.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    This is what a few of the comments suggest. Some others say to use the stair climber instead.

an incline of 1-1.5 simulates running out doors but it is more interesting to run on a random incline or "hill" mode and will work different leg/butt muscles.
  • HerrStanfield
    Options
    Add Squats and Deadlifts.
    Lunges also work, along with climbing stairs/ box jumps, and other such exercises.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^ THAT. Seriously. And squats and lunges and leg lifts.....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    or run as much as you want, but also do any sort of resistance training so the type II fibres in your *kitten* don't atrophy while losing weight.

This!! ^^ It wasn't what was being done that made the *kitten* go away, it's what wasn't being done.
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you love yourself at all it's best to avoid the treadmill altogether and take a run outside.

Not to hijack the thread, but... um... what? I don't think we can or should infer that only the self-loathing run on treadmills. Would you actually look at someone on a treadmill and think, "That person obviously doesn't love him-/herself at all"? Sure, it's great to get fresh air. 100% agree. But running outside isn't always a good option for a number of reasons (weather, safety, etc.).

If I'm not mistaken, the discussion is about how to get the best workout/body with a treadmill routine. Running on a treadmill. Not 'whether to run on a treadmill or outside.'
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Not to hijack the thread, but... um... what? I don't think we can or should infer that only the self-loathing run on treadmills. Would you actually look at someone on a treadmill and think, "That person obviously doesn't love him-/herself at all"? Sure, it's great to get fresh air. 100% agree. But running outside isn't always a good option for a number of reasons (weather, safety, etc.).

If I'm not mistaken, the discussion is about how to get the best workout/body with a treadmill routine. Running on a treadmill. Not 'whether to run on a treadmill or outside.'

I respectfully disagree.

People running on treadmills are clearly there for some sort of punishment and the only guess I can possibly venture as to why somewhat might do that is that they clearly don't love or respect themselves enough to go for a nice run outside.

All you have to do is strrap your shoes on and go outside. Chances are you already did that to get to your treadmill in the first place.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh so thats what happened to me *kitten*!!!! :noway:
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Lunges also work, along with climbing stairs/ box jumps, and other such exercises.
    She said she was doing those before she started to use the treadmill and continued while using it but her butt got flatter anyway.
  • dluce2569
    dluce2569 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree...incoporate exercises that target the butt ~ Lunges, squats, deadlifts...etc.
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Like that could ever get rid of it LOL
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree.

People running on treadmills are clearly there for some sort of punishment and the only guess I can possibly venture as to why somewhat might do that is that they clearly don't love or respect themselves enough to go for a nice run outside.

All you have to do is strrap your shoes on and go outside. Chances are you already did that to get to your treadmill in the first place.
    [/quote]

Wow how nice it must be to live in a place where it doesn't rain or snow! Or drop below freezing. You must also be childless. And clueless.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    She said she was doing those before she started to use the treadmill and continued while using it but her butt got flatter anyway.
    How heavy was she lifting? Use weights that you can only complete 5-8 reps with good form. It takes a lot of hard work to build legit muscle mass. My butt has gotten bigger lifting. I squat 130 lbs, deadlift 185, lunge 95, and am working to increase these numbers.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    [[/quote]

I respectfully disagree.

[/quote]
    :noway: (closest thing to eye roll) Back in this actual thread, booty isolation work is always helpful, as are hills. I've found that running should usually be supplemented, even outdoor running
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Some reasons why people run on treadmills: they live in an unsafe neighborhood, they live in a place where the weather is horrible, they have children that they can't leave alone, they like to catch up on their favorite TV show while they run, they like the programmable features of a treadmill.

Edited to say sorry for hijacking the thread. Carry on! :)
  • meagank28
    meagank28 Posts: 52
    Options

I respectfully disagree.