Love your fat *kitten*? Stop running on the treadmill!

Options

Replies

• meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree.

People running on treadmills are clearly there for some sort of punishment and the only guess I can possibly venture as to why somewhat might do that is that they clearly don't love or respect themselves enough to go for a nice run outside.

All you have to do is strrap your shoes on and go outside. Chances are you already did that to get to your treadmill in the first place.

Wow how nice it must be to live in a place where it doesn't rain or snow! Or drop below freezing. You must also be childless. And clueless.

I live in London.

I also am the proud owner of a rain jacket and winter coat.
    [/quote]

im just here to watch the debate....
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Are you nuts? I live in a climate which is a frozen, icy hellhole 6-8 months of the year, and I don't really want to break a leg on icy streets or give myself severe frostbite in -50 windchill. What's more, I live in a highrise in the heart of downtown, and it's nearly impossible to run a full block without having to stop for traffic etc. Finally, sometimes I have to exercise after dark, and it's not safe for me to do so alone at night outdoors. For all these reasons, I choose the treadmill.

Do stair runs in your highrise. 20 minutes of interval running on stairs will do more for you than a crappy treadmill any day of the week!

I fail to see how stairs would be less "self-loathing" than the treadmill. At least I can read a book and enjoy myself on the treadmill rather than looking at concrete stairs and concrete walls and worrying about running into some random creep in a dimly lit, almost deserted, soundproof stairwell.

Nice try, but I enjoy my varied-incline runs on a treadmill, reading a good book and listening to music in my nice, sunny gym.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Have to agree. Outdoor running can't compare to treadmill running at all really. I used to run on the treadmill regularly a few years ago, 'thought' I was kinda fit, until I tried my first outdoor run. Hmmm. That was a different experience altogether! Now I'm just a lazy old mare and refuse to run anywhere unless there's an emergency. Even then it's pushing it.
  • smartin0181
    smartin0181 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I run on the treadmill, and I do the leg press, squats ect. I am in the process of getting a nice toned booty!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Add Squats and Deadlifts.
    Lunges also work, along with climbing stairs/ box jumps, and other such exercises.
    She said she was doing those before she started to use the treadmill and continued while using it but her butt got flatter anyway.
    How heavy was she lifting? Use weights that you can only complete 5-8 reps with good form. It takes a lot of hard work to build legit muscle mass. My butt has gotten bigger lifting. I squat 130 lbs, deadlift 185, lunge 95, and am working to increase these numbers.

I have no idea what you mean by "legit muscle mass" but it depends on the person. Some women put lower body muscle on easily and do not lose it easily. For others, the opposite is true.

Sorry, you're right, that wasn't clear. My mass I meant literally weight. New muscle tissue rather than seeing more clearly what has always been there.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The treadmill in my house is called the "Dreadmill" and is only used when it's not good to run outside!

Although, the Dreadmill is good for a laugh!
    tread_zpse55b1f20.gif
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Are you nuts? I live in a climate which is a frozen, icy hellhole 6-8 months of the year, and I don't really want to break a leg on icy streets or give myself severe frostbite in -50 windchill. What's more, I live in a highrise in the heart of downtown, and it's nearly impossible to run a full block without having to stop for traffic etc. Finally, sometimes I have to exercise after dark, and it's not safe for me to do so alone at night outdoors. For all these reasons, I choose the treadmill.

Do stair runs in your highrise. 20 minutes of interval running on stairs will do more for you than a crappy treadmill any day of the week!

I fail to see how stairs would be less "self-loathing" than the treadmill. At least I can read a book and enjoy myself on the treadmill rather than looking at concrete stairs and concrete walls and worrying about running into some random creep in a dimly lit, almost deserted, soundproof stairwell.

Nice try, but I enjoy my varied-incline runs on a treadmill, reading a good book and listening to music in my nice, sunny gym.

I never can/could equate exercise and reading as a joint experience. Just doesn't work in my head. I'm an either or type of girl lol. You must be a multi tasker lol
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    hello.

Just my 2 cents.

I live in Minnesota. I've ran in blizzards, sub 0 temps, -20 windchill, hail, sleet, rain, 100 degree weather, etc.

I've ran at 4am... i've ran at midnight.

I'm a very experienced running. I ran cross country and track in college.

I am still very fond of the treadmill. I do about 40%-60% of my training on a treadmill.

I don't understand most of the arguements about treadmills. As long as you are running, does it really matter where you are????

All of my PRs are outside:
    5k PR- 20:59
    5 mile PR- 34:58
    30k PR- 2:32:15

and I actually run same pace if not slower on the "deadmill". I believe it is all preference.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Well, aside from the fact there's always a random creep lurking around every corner......

I didn't say anything about "self-loathing". I just think it'll be 100 x more effective.

Also Lol @ reading a book. If you can read a book while you're running.... then you're doing it wrong!
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I dunno....Olympic runners and marathoners and such tend to have some pretty nice booties. I'm sure they strength train too but it seems like a stretch to blame it all on running! Maybe this woman was genetically predisposed to losing fat from her bum when she lost weight.

ETA true, they don't train entirely indoors....but what about track stars? Epic butts, totally flat racing surface...
    Can't speak to the marathoners but I know the shorter distance runners (100m, 200m, etc.) tend to do sprints and they lift REALLY heavy in the gym. (Spoke to one recently)
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Lol @ snow and rain.

If I'm going for a run, I'm going for a run. Whether it's p*ssing it down or not.

A treadmill is not a substitute for running outside. It's like doing squats on a smith machine. It's time people got real and got off the hamster wheel!

I think I just fell in love with you :heart:
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside because it is WAY less boring than running in place and I seem to tire less , but I do run on the treadmill; 1) when it is raining outside I'd rather get some exercise in than none...; 2) I have small kids and am a single mom - can't leave them in the house alone (no I don't have a sitter @ 4am or 8pm which is when I can run @ home) so I can run outside... So, there are good reasons to use the treadmill....
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Lol @ snow and rain.

If I'm going for a run, I'm going for a run. Whether it's p*ssing it down or not.

A treadmill is not a substitute for running outside. It's like doing squats on a smith machine. It's time people got real and got off the hamster wheel!

I think I just fell in love with you :heart:

Careful! I give some people a nasty rash.......
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    When I see someone running on a treadmill I think "Go go!" And other things that are positive. Dedication comes to mind as well. Wishing I could do it as well...I prefer heavy lifting anyway.
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wow. It's almost like different people have different subjective preferences.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Wow. It's almost like different people have different subjective preferences.

:)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside because it is WAY less boring than running in place and I seem to tire less , but I do run on the treadmill; 1) when it is raining outside I'd rather get some exercise in than none...; 2) I have small kids and am a single mom - can't leave them in the house alone (no I don't have a sitter @ 4am or 8pm which is when I can run @ home) so I can run outside... So, there are good reasons to use the treadmill....

I'm sure everyone capable of realizing that not everyone is the same or has the same lifestyle knows there are valid reasons why the treadmill would sometimes be the best option, even if it's only personal preference. It's only those that with the "if you are not like me, you are wrong" attitude that would argue.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Well, aside from the fact there's always a random creep lurking around every corner......

I didn't say anything about "self-loathing". I just think it'll be 100 x more effective.

Also Lol @ reading a book. If you can read a book while you're running.... then you're doing it wrong!

Tell that to my lost pounds, hugely increased endurance, and monitored heart rate of about 168 while I run. I assure you I'm working hard. It doesn't take extra effort to tap the screen on my iPad to turn the page and I am well into my target zone. Just because you can't read and run doesn't mean other people can't. I don't need to justify my exercise habits further, but I can absolutely say that my running is getting better and better and I can tell the difference. I'm getting fitter every day, working myself extremely hard, and getting great results. What works for one person doesn't work for everyone and this is what works for me (and it's working really well.) I need a distraction in order to push myself. That's not the case for everyone, but it certainly is the case for me. And if I lose my round butt doing it, at least my heart will be in good shape.
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    BUMP, MUST READ THIS
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I dunno....Olympic runners and marathoners and such tend to have some pretty nice booties. I'm sure they strength train too but it seems like a stretch to blame it all on running! Maybe this woman was genetically predisposed to losing fat from her bum when she lost weight.

ETA true, they don't train entirely indoors....but what about track stars? Epic butts, totally flat racing surface...
    Can't speak to the marathoners but I know the shorter distance runners (100m, 200m, etc.) tend to do sprints and they lift REALLY heavy in the gym. (Spoke to one recently)

To quote the blog itself, since many of you obviously didn't bother reading it, this is the reason it claims the treadmill doesn't work your butt like running on a regular, non-conveyor-belt surface:
    “Running on a treadmill doesn't use your butt or hamstrings, but instead pushes your legs back, which is the motion that your butt and hamstrings are responsible for."

So it's not about a flat surface or an incline or anything: it's about the fact that the treadmill is doing the second half of the work for you. And as another comment pointed out, running outdoors includes inclines, declines, bends, surface changes, etc, that a treadmill just can't replicate, and those things do force you to use different muscles or muscle combinations. Even a track at least gives you turns and probably incline changes if it's banked correctly.

And as a Denver area runner, I don't accept any of these excuses for not running outside except single parents with small children. Everything else (and possibly even that) can be worked around somehow, if you're actually determined to do it. If you honestly prefer the treadmill, that's just fine but be straight about it.