Love your fat *kitten*? Stop running on the treadmill!

Options

Replies

• stephaniecmoran
    Options
    My *kitten* is my favorite thing about me, it's big and round and i love it...this is probably why my trainer seems to have me doing a lot of lunge-y type stuff. And on the treadmill I am supposed to keep it at an incline. I pray my *kitten* never deflates.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The quote feature isn't that hard to figure out people.

I'm guessing the guy above me isn't a parent. Cause no mom on earth wants to take little kids when she's running. Why would she (we?). You do understand that kids aren't little soldiers that so what they're suppose to, right? They run all over. They stop when the see a bottle cap. They whine. They have to pee. So rofl @ bringing the kids along for a run. Silly silly boy.

Having said that, the 10 year old is probably getting close enough to the age where s/he can watch the 6 year old while mom takes 30-60 ,minutes to herself.

The bottom line is to each his own. Why does anyone want a fat *kitten* anyway? I like my muscular, badonkadonk thankyouverymuch,

Me? Yea, I'm a parent. Or did you not bother reading my post? Part of being a parent is pushing your kids. I realize the vast majority of western civilization has forgotten this, but it's good to remember once in a while. And yes, my 3 year old can run 2 miles now. The first mile is easy and I pretty much tickle her so she keeps running for the second mile. Then she goes in my kiddo backpack and my wife and I hike for several miles. When my knee is feeling okay, I take my 7 year old running with me. She mostly does intervals these days, but she runs. She's done 5 km with me a few times. Back when she was younger, and I was doing longer distances, she'd do 15 km on her scooter.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I don't really see why anyone would love their fat *kitten*. If you really want a nice *kitten* do some squats, lunges, etc.

It's not all about the size of the booty. Fat bums tend to be dimply and not very well shaped.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    If you love yourself at all it's best to avoid the treadmill altogether and take a run outside.

Not to hijack the thread, but... um... what? I don't think we can or should infer that only the self-loathing run on treadmills. Would you actually look at someone on a treadmill and think, "That person obviously doesn't love him-/herself at all"? Sure, it's great to get fresh air. 100% agree. But running outside isn't always a good option for a number of reasons (weather, safety, etc.).

If I'm not mistaken, the discussion is about how to get the best workout/body with a treadmill routine. Running on a treadmill. Not 'whether to run on a treadmill or outside.'

I respectfully disagree.

People running on treadmills are clearly there for some sort of punishment and the only guess I can possibly venture as to why somewhat might do that is that they clearly don't love or respect themselves enough to go for a nice run outside.

All you have to do is strrap your shoes on and go outside. Chances are you already did that to get to your treadmill in the first place.

You win the ignorant post of the day award my friend.

First obvious response, when its winter, I would argue the truly self loathing run outside. For right now in the spring, How about, I want to watch the NBA playoffs tonight, but I also want get in cardiovascular activity. Win/ Win. If i can get TNT on my google glasses one day then I will run outside. Win/Win/Win
  • Teddy_B
    Teddy_B Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you love yourself at all it's best to avoid the treadmill altogether and take a run outside.

It's really a matter of personal opinion. I prefer outside over the treadmill for two reasons:

1) More interesting scenery and a better variety of it

but also

2) Anytime I want, I can jump off a treadmill. If I'm out and about though, I still have to go back to my house or car.
  • Teddy_B
    Teddy_B Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    And really honestly, it shouldn't matter whether someone prefers a treadmill or outside--- as long as they're doing cardio in a way that they enjoy and keeps them coming back for more, they can exercise while running from the invisible monsters in their heads for all I care.
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting article about one woman's experience.
    http://m.xojane.com/healthy/the-treadmill-ate-my-*kitten*-or-how-to-avoid-treadmill-*kitten*-syndrome

Thank God I hate the treadmill.

i run on the treadmill all the time cause I WANT TO. i have ran outside before but it was just harder to get motivated to get started out there and some exercise is better than none. so ive been running on the treadmill only for the last 2 years and i must say my *kitten* looks awesome!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I kind of ran out of steam reading this thread on page 3. So sorry if this has already been addressed.

The author of that xojane article lives in New York City. You can tell from her Twitter account.

Climate has nothing to do with New York City being an unpleasant place to run outside. In Manhattan, there are three places that somewhat approach pleasant runs: the West Side Hwy/Hudson Park path, Central Park, and certain parts of the East River pier. For most people, getting to those parks requires either taking the subway or covering 15 blocks through traffic and hitting a red light every time. If you want to deal with that on your run, more power to you. You win the "tough outside runner" awards. Me, I'll walk a block to my gym and hop on the treadmill. Just like the xojane gal.

I also want to comment on the evidence that has been marshaled so far in support of the claim that treadmills make butts flat. We have a snapshot of a Yahoo questions page (seriously?), a snapshot couple of comments from who knows where, and a trainer's opinion. Do these sound like credible sources to anyone?

Until I see an, ahem, controlled study that shows the amount of fat and muscle mass to be different on outside and treadmill runners, I am not prepared to accept this on faith.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    And really honestly, it shouldn't matter whether someone prefers a treadmill or outside--- as long as they're doing cardio in a way that they enjoy and keeps them coming back for more, they can exercise while running from the invisible monsters in their heads for all I care.

THANK YOU.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The quote feature isn't that hard to figure out people.

I'm guessing the guy above me isn't a parent. Cause no mom on earth wants to take little kids when she's running. Why would she (we?). You do understand that kids aren't little soldiers that so what they're suppose to, right? They run all over. They stop when the see a bottle cap. They whine. They have to pee. So rofl @ bringing the kids along for a run. Silly silly boy.

Having said that, the 10 year old is probably getting close enough to the age where s/he can watch the 6 year old while mom takes 30-60 ,minutes to herself.

The bottom line is to each his own. Why does anyone want a fat *kitten* anyway? I like my muscular, badonkadonk thankyouverymuch,

Well, I must be crazy because I've been taking my kids on runs since they were just a few months old. My now 11 year old either runs with me or rides his bike and he keeps my pace up. My 3 yr old rides her bike or we use the jogging stroller.

Some of my best memories as a kid ( as young as 5) are runs with my mom on an early weekend summer morning. I was in races at that age, and since I didn't have much competition, often won my age group! I still run today, and even though I am overweight right now, am so thankful my mom took me running. The fact that I learned from an early age to enjoy exercise has been extremely helpful on my weightloss journey. Stop selling your kids short!
    Edit: Also, I don't prefer treadmills, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes, inclines's a good idea.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    the elliptical does AMAZING things for my butt... much better then the treadmill...
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    You're full of it. Either your kids are scared to death to disappoint daddy, or you just happened to be blessed with the world's most compliant kids. I''m sure you're getting a real good run at the speed and distance of a 3 year old. *rolls eyes* FWIW I workout with my 13 year old, and it's never as intense when you have to stop to correct form ... etc. If someone prefers to workout without kids, it's really none of your business.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm exhausted from reading all this. Feel like I just ran 5 miles! :laugh:
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
    skinny thighs and no *kitten* or bulky thigh and *kitten*?
    decisions!
    treadmill and lots of squats, donkey kicks and bridges me thinks!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You're full of it. Either your kids are scared to death to disappoint daddy, or you just happened to be blessed with the world's most compliant kids. I''m sure you're getting a real good run at the speed and distance of a 3 year old. *rolls eyes* FWIW I workout with my 13 year old, and it's never as intense when you have to stop to correct form ... etc. If someone prefers to workout without kids, it's really none of your business.

If you don't want to involve your kids, fine. Just don't make excuses, or challenge the veracity of my statements because you can't keep up.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    OMG!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You people are hilarious!!
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I kind of ran out of steam reading this thread on page 3. So sorry if this has already been addressed.

The author of that xojane article lives in New York City. You can tell from her Twitter account.

Climate has nothing to do with New York City being an unpleasant place to run outside. In Manhattan, there are three places that somewhat approach pleasant runs: the West Side Hwy/Hudson Park path, Central Park, and certain parts of the East River pier. For most people, getting to those parks requires either taking the subway or covering 15 blocks through traffic and hitting a red light every time. If you want to deal with that on your run, more power to you. You win the "tough outside runner" awards. Me, I'll walk a block to my gym and hop on the treadmill. Just like the xojane gal.

I also want to comment on the evidence that has been marshaled so far in support of the claim that treadmills make butts flat. We have a snapshot of a Yahoo questions page (seriously?), a snapshot couple of comments from who knows where, and a trainer's opinion. Do these sound like credible sources to anyone?

Until I see an, ahem, controlled study that shows the amount of fat and muscle mass to be different on outside and treadmill runners, I am not prepared to accept this on faith.

YOU! STOP WITH THAT LOGIC AND START TALKING ABOUT DRAGGING YOUR CHILDREN FOR A RUN IN ANTARCTICA!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    One thing I am sure will NEVER happen. In years of working out, it just gets rounder and firmer.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

If you don't want to involve your kids, fine. Just don't make excuses, or challenge the veracity of my statements because you can't keep up.

ps I see reading isn't one of your strong suits. You quoted me saying I work out with my 13 year old. Maybe you shouldn't multitask there bub. Your 3 year old might get lost along those long stretches of highway over which you and the Brady Bunch run.

OK now I'm really laughing. Have a good night Alice.