Love your fat *kitten*? Stop running on the treadmill!

Options

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Wow how nice it must be to live in a place where it doesn't rain or snow! Or drop below freezing. You must also be childless. And clueless.

Respectfully....you can run outside with rain and snow with the proper clothing. I run outside in the rain all the time, and some of my best runs have been in bad weather. So please don't use weather as an excuse for running inside. Same goes to Brunette....you can drive to a good area (such as a park or something) and you can carry OC or something, and you can take the kids with you in running strollers. So all those -excuses- are just that...excuses.

However....I do understand that for some the harder impact of the ground can cause knee problems where the treadmill doesn't, and some people just generally like a treadmill.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Lol @ snow and rain.

If I'm going for a run, I'm going for a run. Whether it's p*ssing it down or not.

A treadmill is not a substitute for running outside. It's like doing squats on a smith machine. It's time people got real and got off the hamster wheel!
  • meagank28
    meagank28 Posts: 52
    Options
    i think running outside is better also. that said, i use a treadmill simply because of crazy drivers and people in my neighbor hood don't keep their dogs in yards or restrained. hmm...... being run over, getting bit by a big dog or using the treadmill?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree.

People running on treadmills are clearly there for some sort of punishment and the only guess I can possibly venture as to why somewhat might do that is that they clearly don't love or respect themselves enough to go for a nice run outside.

All you have to do is strrap your shoes on and go outside. Chances are you already did that to get to your treadmill in the first place.

Wow how nice it must be to live in a place where it doesn't rain or snow! Or drop below freezing. You must also be childless. And clueless.
    [/quote]

I live in London.

I also am the proud owner of a rain jacket and winter coat.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I actually run on the elliptical because I have a pear shaped body and my butt needs to get smaller or I don't fit into the pants that fit on my waist. Treadmill butt syndrome would only help me fit into clothing for once.

A note: I lost abotu 1-2inches off my hips/butt during the summer just from tons of gardening and walking. I finally was able to fit into pants that didn't need a belt to stay up. It was awesome.
  • meagank28
    meagank28 Posts: 52
    Options
    forgot to mention i live in a texas town of 879 people. the nearest park is 60 miles away
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    If you love yourself at all it's best to avoid the treadmill altogether and take a run outside.

Not to hijack the thread, but... um... what? I don't think we can or should infer that only the self-loathing run on treadmills. Would you actually look at someone on a treadmill and think, "That person obviously doesn't love him-/herself at all"? Sure, it's great to get fresh air. 100% agree. But running outside isn't always a good option for a number of reasons (weather, safety, etc.).

If I'm not mistaken, the discussion is about how to get the best workout/body with a treadmill routine. Running on a treadmill. Not 'whether to run on a treadmill or outside.'

I respectfully disagree.

People running on treadmills are clearly there for some sort of punishment and the only guess I can possibly venture as to why somewhat might do that is that they clearly don't love or respect themselves enough to go for a nice run outside.

All you have to do is strrap your shoes on and go outside. Chances are you already did that to get to your treadmill in the first place.

Are you nuts? I live in a climate which is a frozen, icy hellhole 6-8 months of the year, and I don't really want to break a leg on icy streets or give myself severe frostbite in -50 windchill. What's more, I live in a highrise in the heart of downtown, and it's nearly impossible to run a full block without having to stop for traffic etc. Finally, sometimes I have to exercise after dark, and it's not safe for me to do so alone at night outdoors. For all these reasons, I choose the treadmill.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Also a thought. I do not run outside because I like to zone out while I run. This only happens when running or reading. Needless to say, I'm a HUGE safety risk to myself and drivers if I zone out and run in the city I live in. Not true for everyone, but I just feel safer knowing I won't have a dumb.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    the title alone........:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot (not on a treadmill, just outside on flat sidewalks), but I go up and down stairs a lot too, so I'm hoping that cancels it out :P
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    or put the treadmill on an incline.
    This is what a few of the comments suggest. Some others say to use the stair climber instead.

an incline of 1-1.5 simulates running out doors but it is more interesting to run on a random incline or "hill" mode and will work different leg/butt muscles.

I disagree with this ^^. It cant stimulate running outside because outside would have declines too.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Are you nuts? I live in a climate which is a frozen, icy hellhole 6-8 months of the year, and I don't really want to break a leg on icy streets or give myself severe frostbite in -50 windchill. What's more, I live in a highrise in the heart of downtown, and it's nearly impossible to run a full block without having to stop for traffic etc. Finally, sometimes I have to exercise after dark, and it's not safe for me to do so alone at night outdoors. For all these reasons, I choose the treadmill.

Do stair runs in your highrise. 20 minutes of interval running on stairs will do more for you than a crappy treadmill any day of the week!
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Whew! Good thing my fav machines to use are the elliptical and stair climber! Yay! Boobies have changed a ton, need to keep the bootay!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Add Squats and Deadlifts.
    Lunges also work, along with climbing stairs/ box jumps, and other such exercises.
    She said she was doing those before she started to use the treadmill and continued while using it but her butt got flatter anyway.
    How heavy was she lifting? Use weights that you can only complete 5-8 reps with good form. It takes a lot of hard work to build legit muscle mass. My butt has gotten bigger lifting. I squat 130 lbs, deadlift 185, lunge 95, and am working to increase these numbers.

I have no idea what you mean by "legit muscle mass" but it depends on the person. Some women put lower body muscle on easily and do not lose it easily. For others, the opposite is true.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    This is what a few of the comments suggest. Some others say to use the stair climber instead.

an incline of 1-1.5 simulates running out doors but it is more interesting to run on a random incline or "hill" mode and will work different leg/butt muscles.

I disagree with this ^^. It cant stimulate running outside because outside would have declines too.

Don't forget different textures - sand, mud, grass, concrete, tarmac (in summer/winter). Also turning to go around bends etc. All works a whole host of different muscles that being locked into a single plane on a treadmill will not touch.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I dunno....Olympic runners and marathoners and such tend to have some pretty nice booties. I'm sure they strength train too but it seems like a stretch to blame it all on running! Maybe this woman was genetically predisposed to losing fat from her bum when she lost weight.

ETA true, they don't train entirely indoors....but what about track stars? Epic butts, totally flat racing surface...
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Do stair runs in your highrise. 20 minutes of interval running on stairs will do more for you than a crappy treadmill any day of the week!

Honestly, that is what I would do lol. Stairs are a killer workout.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Don't forget different textures - sand, mud, grass, concrete, tarmac (in summer/winter). Also turning to go around bends etc. All works a whole host of different muscles that being locked into a single plane on a treadmill will not touch.

Agree ^^
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thank you... I have been trying to figure out what causes that. I don't have the problem, but want to avoid it! Lol!
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Okay, how did this become a "bash treadmills" thread? :ohwell: If you like to run outside, awesome. If you prefer a treadmill, awesome too. You're running. Better than sitting on our butts and gaining weight.

As someone else mentioned, I'm a pear shape and it's only since I started running on a treadmill that I've lost anything from that half of my body. I do run on a 4-5 incline, though, so . . .