Man to Man: A Support System for Men (part 2)

Options

Replies

• DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Caddyshack is 30 years old this week (a man flick among man flicks) and with that I leave you with this poem. "It's easy to grin / When your ship comes in / And you've got the stock market beat. / But the man worthwhile, / Is the man who can smile, / When his shorts are too tight in the seat." — Judge Smails
  • Bighank7752
    Options
    I amglad you laid down your gauntlet, I can't find mine. LOL
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Im still around fellers. typing lefty, 1 plate 2 screws in right arm.

guy was running from cops. took turn way left of center. i was coming other way. saw him for mebbe 2 secs, got bike almost to ditch, got clipped anyway. thrown from moto, right arm broke, lil rash, concussion. full gear of course. side of car cut wide open by my bike.

sitting round po'ed, trying not to nerve eat too much. thinking of 1 arm elliptical,,, better not for a day or 3. doc sez no bike, arm can't stand it. 10# weight limit on arm.

this sux,,, I had a great summer going too.

Damn! Well it's really good to know you survived it without severe damage bro. That guy could've easily killed you considering the way these punks drive when they're trying to run from the cops. You were fortunate. So the broken arm was the worst of it, huh? You get an MRI or CT scan on your head due to that concussion... to make sure there wasn't any long term trauma? That *kitten* who hit you is in a ton of trouble now, hitting you while fleeing the police will cause him to be at least charged with attempted vehicular manslaughter. When your arm heals they should let you beat the crap out of that guy.

Take it easy on just about everything for the time being. With your injuries the best thing you can do for your body is to cut back on stressing and let it heal. Even if you gain some fat in the process of recovery, you've lost the weight before, you can definitely lose it again if need be. If you're concerned, just keep logging it and you'll be able to see if you're going over maintenance.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Dan, I used to be a KSU season ticket holder, but I just don't have the time to blow that many Saturdays on Football games. I usually get 2 or 3 games in a season. I'm at least going to the NU game this year, a few more will probably shake out too.

Casper, that sucks about the wrist, melon, and bike. And I'm sure he was carrying enough liability coverage to take care of everything.:ohwell:

I'm having a good week so far. Down 4 pounds from Monday's weigh in. Have hit all of my goals this week except I had one Diet Coke yesterday afternoon. Now if I could get this DOMS out of the way I'd be golden.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I have been holding steady all week. My first mini plateau. I'm going to try upping the exercise for a few days and see how that goes, but i was already doing 9k+ a week.
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    help = not sure what is happening - under calorie goal everyday -by like 500 cals (including exercise cals) and i seem to be gaining weight - this is not good -any suggestions? my food diary is public if you want to look and give me some recommendations
  • Kasuko
    Kasuko Posts: 42
    Options
    help = not sure what is happening - under calorie goal everyday -by like 500 cals (including exercise cals) and i seem to be gaining weight - this is not good -any suggestions? my food diary is public if you want to look and give me some recommendations

Advice, stop going under your calorie goal. Seriously. Weight loss isn't the simple math everyone thinks it is. It's not quite deficit=weightloss but its close enough to be used. MFP does it all for you. To lose (almost) consistent weight you should set MFP with the proper weight loss goal and daily you should have exactly 0 calories left on your food diary, end of story.

I can go dig up my rant which explains this all using the laws of thermodynamics if you wish ... ah here it is
    We have already gone over the science behind increased calorie intact. Let's try completely unscientific metaphors now. Right now you are starving your body, it is a poor African orphan who no matter how badly wants some food it just can't get any. Now one day the UN comes and gives this child (aka your body) a whole loaf of bread. Boy is that child happy now! But does he scarf it all down in one go? No, he SAVORS every single bite of that loaf. He portions it out so the lovely enjoyment lasts longer. That is what your body is doing when you increase your calorie count. It holds on to them and savors them.

Now we give that child a loaf of bread EVERY day. Do you think by the 3rd week this child is still savoring every bite of his bread? Probably not, he knows there will just be another one tomorrow.

This is what we are trying to get you to do. You need to teach your body that you are not going through a famine. That there is in fact more than enough food around to survive and it can relax on the survival instincts and start letting those calories slide here and there because there will always be more tomorrow.

Do it for the starving African child!

(Now for some more of that science ... mmmm science)
    Your body takes one form of energy and converts it to another just like almost everything else in the world. There are two laws that govern all the energy in the universe. Those are the laws of thermodynamics.

The first law of thermodynamics states that you can not create or destroy energy. This is seen in everything from photosynthesis to nuclear bombs. It always holds true. The second law is a little more complex and involves isolated systems and entropy but it basically states that no system is 100% efficient this includes your body.

If we look at only the first law it would seem that if you don't burn the calories you eat then you will store them as fat. This is the general "accepted" view of calorie counting but it is in fact wrong because that breaks the 2nd law.

It is this law that states that there is always a waste by product in all systems. This means that you don't burn every calorie you put in your body, some of them are changed to waste energy and some of it is quite simply discarded through your bodies wastes. With this law you can begin to see that your body doesn't have to "burn" or "store" all calories put in (but it does have to do something with them as per law 1).

Thus increasing your calorie intact allows your body to get sloppy with the over storage of calories and it begins simply discarding them or running a more inefficient conversion. So the actual calorie "storage" is less even though calorie "intake" increased.

Now please realize this is all in balance and you can't just shoot your calorie intake through the roof hoping it won't keep any of them. The universe is constantly trying to balance out including your body.

Helpful at all?

*I am not a doctor the laws of thermodynamics are physical laws (aka Physics)
  • iplayoutside19
    Options

How long has this been going on?
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Darman,
    I looked through your diary and being that we had similar starting points and a similar plateau I have a recommendation. Try punching up your protein for about 2 weeks. Bars, shakes, whatever. You run pretty low on it and if you are exercising quite a bit, your body may need it to build muscle. You might be in a situation now where it can only make fat, because you have to have the protein to make the muscle. Any time I hit a plateau I increase my exercise for a week or 2 and jump up my protein intake to 140-180 g a day and each time the plateau has broken.

Oh, and I am always under my calorie goal but 500 to 1500 a day, so I wouldn't sweat that part a ton unless you are doing low amounts of exercise. I exercise a ton .. 1000-2100 calories a day and simply cant eat that much, even with drinking a few beers or vodka drinks. It hasn't been a problem so far. All I watch is Protein, calories, and sodium and the sodium is to make sure that i am getting enough for what I lose exercising. I want to be somewhere between 2500 and 5k sodium a day.
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Guys, I've been on a diet or 6 months now. I record what I eat, what I burn with exercise, how far I walk/bike and weigh-in daily. The math of dieting is simple: RMR calories + Exercise Calories - Food Calories= Gained Calories. For every 3,500 Calories gained you lose a pound. Over the 6 months I gained 114,000 kcals which translates in a theoretical loss of 32.6 lbs.

Well, In reality I lost 33 pounds!! Coincidence? Go figure.
  • darman
    Options
    Darman,
    I looked through your diary and being that we had similar starting points and a similar plateau I have a recommendation. Try punching up your protein for about 2 weeks. Bars, shakes, whatever. You run pretty low on it and if you are exercising quite a bit, your body may need it to build muscle. You might be in a situation now where it can only make fat, because you have to have the protein to make the muscle. Any time I hit a plateau I increase my exercise for a week or 2 and jump up my protein intake to 140-180 g a day and each time the plateau has broken.

Oh, and I am always under my calorie goal but 500 to 1500 a day, so I wouldn't sweat that part a ton unless you are doing low amounts of exercise. I exercise a ton .. 1000-2100 calories a day and simply cant eat that much, even with drinking a few beers or vodka drinks. It hasn't been a problem so far. All I watch is Protein, calories, and sodium and the sodium is to make sure that i am getting enough for what I lose exercising. I want to be somewhere between 2500 and 5k sodium a day.
    sounds like a plan keith - my protein intake has been down because of something I read about whey protein - I started beefing it back up this morning - and I am like you - I can only eat so much................going to change around the mfp to give more percentage to protein and less to fiber
  • darman
    Options
    Guys, I've been on a diet or 6 months now. I'm an excel freak and keep close track of what I eat, what I burn with exercise, how far I walk/bike and weigh-in daily. In the meantime I read a lot of enlightening theories in mfp, how to eat the exercise cals, how not to eat them, how the body is unpredictable, how muscles are heavier than fat and on and on.

CaloriesvsWeightLossChart_9885_image001.gif
    care to share your wisdom? would love to know your thoughts on this
  • darman
    Options

How long has this been going on?
    a couple of weeks now
  • darman
    Options

Advice, stop going under your calorie goal. Seriously. Weight loss isn't the simple math everyone thinks it is. It's not quite deficit=weightloss but its close enough to be used. MFP does it all for you. To lose (almost) consistent weight you should set MFP with the proper weight loss goal and daily you should have exactly 0 calories left on your food diary, end of story.

I can go dig up my rant which explains this all using the laws of thermodynamics if you wish ... ah here it is
    We have already gone over the science behind increased calorie intact. Let's try completely unscientific metaphors now. Right now you are starving your body, it is a poor African orphan who no matter how badly wants some food it just can't get any. Now one day the UN comes and gives this child (aka your body) a whole loaf of bread. Boy is that child happy now! But does he scarf it all down in one go? No, he SAVORS every single bite of that loaf. He portions it out so the lovely enjoyment lasts longer. That is what your body is doing when you increase your calorie count. It holds on to them and savors them.

Now we give that child a loaf of bread EVERY day. Do you think by the 3rd week this child is still savoring every bite of his bread? Probably not, he knows there will just be another one tomorrow.

This is what we are trying to get you to do. You need to teach your body that you are not going through a famine. That there is in fact more than enough food around to survive and it can relax on the survival instincts and start letting those calories slide here and there because there will always be more tomorrow.

Do it for the starving African child!

(Now for some more of that science ... mmmm science)
    Your body takes one form of energy and converts it to another just like almost everything else in the world. There are two laws that govern all the energy in the universe. Those are the laws of thermodynamics.

The first law of thermodynamics states that you can not create or destroy energy. This is seen in everything from photosynthesis to nuclear bombs. It always holds true. The second law is a little more complex and involves isolated systems and entropy but it basically states that no system is 100% efficient this includes your body.

If we look at only the first law it would seem that if you don't burn the calories you eat then you will store them as fat. This is the general "accepted" view of calorie counting but it is in fact wrong because that breaks the 2nd law.

It is this law that states that there is always a waste by product in all systems. This means that you don't burn every calorie you put in your body, some of them are changed to waste energy and some of it is quite simply discarded through your bodies wastes. With this law you can begin to see that your body doesn't have to "burn" or "store" all calories put in (but it does have to do something with them as per law 1).

Thus increasing your calorie intact allows your body to get sloppy with the over storage of calories and it begins simply discarding them or running a more inefficient conversion. So the actual calorie "storage" is less even though calorie "intake" increased.

Now please realize this is all in balance and you can't just shoot your calorie intake through the roof hoping it won't keep any of them. The universe is constantly trying to balance out including your body.

Helpful at all?

*I am not a doctor the laws of thermodynamics are physical laws (aka Physics)
    Kasuko - this was awesome thanks - really understood the analogy - but man that's a lot to eat in a day ya know.......
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Guys, I've been on a diet or 6 months now. I record what I eat, what I burn with exercise, how far I walk/bike and weigh-in daily. The math of dieting is simple: RMR calories + Exercise Calories - Food Calories= Gained Calories. For every 3,500 Calories gained you lose a pound. Over the 6 months I gained 114,000 kcals which translates in a theoretical loss of 32.6 lbs.

Well, In reality I lost 33 pounds!! Coincidence? Go figure.

@Darman, I was editing my post while you replied. I don't have a theory, I'm not a dietician or a doctor, I just did some number-crunching which turned out to be incredibly accurate.
  • Kasuko
    Options
    I'd also like to say that a calorie is simply a unit of measurement used to indicate the energy of the "stuff" in food. There are no "calories" in food like there is fat, carbohydrates and protein in food. In fact the calories come from that same fat, carbohydrates and protein.

That said, you have to realize that since the calorie isn't a physical unit that it has nothing to do with food size. You can get a ton of calories in small packages. Look at backpacking meals and power bars.

There is this misconception that high calorie foods are bad for you, but again calories mean nothing. High calorie food is bad for LAZY people who get way too many calories in a day. It's all about where you are getting the calories from. If you eat pure sugar you will get a ton of calories. Unfortunately refined sugar is easier to convert to fat than to burn in your body. So that's where it goes. Now if you eat complex carbohydrates (whole grains etc) then those are much easier to burn than convert to fat so that is what it does.

So to everyone who says they can't eat their calories I tell you, eat higher calorie foods. Just make sure those calories are coming from good sources (complex carbohydrates, good fats, protein) and not empty calories like refined sugar (*cough* soda *cough*)

Going to repost this on the main page too.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options

So to everyone who says they can't eat their calories I tell you, eat higher calorie foods. Just make sure those calories are coming from good sources (complex carbohydrates, good fats, protein) and not empty calories like refined sugar (*cough* soda *cough*)

Yeah well, there also comes a point when life and practicality get in the way of that. I get starvation mode. I also feel I would be quite uncomfortable before I even got close to it. But sometimes I'm more tired than I am hungry, and if that means I leave an assinine amount of calories on the table. Fine. I've still got 50 lbs to go before I hit my goal.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    Read in SI this morning: Michelle Obama recorded a TV ad with all 30 MLB Franchises to help fight Chilhood Obesity....19 of those 30 teams offer All-You-Can-Eat-Seats at their stadiums.....
  • Kasuko
    Options
    Yeah well, there also comes a point when life and practicality get in the way of that. I get starvation mode. I also feel I would be quite uncomfortable before I even got close to it. But sometimes I'm more tired than I am hungry, and if that means I leave an assinine amount of calories on the table. Fine. I've still got 50 lbs to go before I hit my goal.

No my post early explains why it is not fine while you have 50 lbs on the table still. I am not saying that if you are tired one day and don't feel like you can eat any more then you should HAVE to eat more. No, that's called listening to your body and is healthy. That is what you should do in that situation. Our bodies aren't constant and at times will need more or less fuel than what MFP dictates (example: fighting off an infection or cold) that's normal.

What I am saying is that when you are constantly under your goal, then it is time to come up with some new higher calorie recipes and start putting them to action. That simple.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options

No my post early explains why it is not fine while you have 50 lbs on the table still. I am not saying that if you are tired one day and don't feel like you can eat any more then you should HAVE to eat more. No, that's called listening to your body and is healthy. That is what you should do in that situation. Our bodies aren't constant and at times will need more or less fuel than what MFP dictates (example: fighting off an infection or cold) that's normal.

What I am saying is that when you are constantly under your goal, then it is time to come up with some new higher calorie recipes and start putting them to action. That simple.

Whatever, I get it. Not eating enough calories can cause problems. I can only speak for myself, not eating enough calories is NOT how we got this way!