Man to Man: A Support System for Men (part 2)

Options

Replies

• Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Well Guys, I have another challenge update and this time I am not hurting you . 1 pound lost this week.

Challenge Start: 226.2
    Last Week: 226
    Current: 225
    Starting: 333
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    well everyone - thanks for all the great information and advice - I did take it............and wouldn't you know it - those 2-4 pounds that were freakin me out - suddenly just went away

What I did:
    Increased my water intake - by......... A LOT went over 100 oz a day for like 3 days straight
    Increased my protein intake
    Increased good carbs - great side affect to that is that now my workout shirt doesn't smell like ammonia when the workout is over
    And as as result of the above 2 things my calories were increased

I feel great!! Ran 10k for the first time today and made it in 1 hour flat - whoo hoo!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    well everyone - thanks for all the great information and advice - I did take it............and wouldn't you know it - those 2-4 pounds that were freakin me out - suddenly just went away

What I did:
    Increased my water intake - by......... A LOT went over 100 oz a day for like 3 days straight
    Increased my protein intake
    Increased good carbs - great side affect to that is that now my workout shirt doesn't smell like ammonia when the workout is over
    And as as result of the above 2 things my calories were increased

I feel great!! Ran 10k for the first time today and made it in 1 hour flat - whoo hoo!!

Good job. I'm trying to work my way back up to 10K. Last time I did it, it took me 1:06. My goal is to get back there by Labor Day.

I went Mt Biking for 2.5 hours in the hottest part of the day yesterday. I even went over the handle bars and landed in sand when my rear tire hit a soft spot in the trail. I had put on sunscreen and bug spray before I left. Combine that with the sweat anything and everything stuck to my skin. When I got home any exposed skin was covered in sand, dirt, and other plant debris. I had to hose myself off before going inside. It was Awesome. I also burned 2300 calories. Ate 1500 back at dinner, I was kind of hungry. And I felt well enough to run this morning. However, I'm starting to feel all of that. Tomorrow will be a light weights day, especailly since the actual temp here is 107.
  • Kasuko
    Kasuko Posts: 42
    Options
    My first update, 2 pounds since initial weigh in. Wow it feels good to say that.
  • cnance
    cnance Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hey guys... read through most of this post and I'd like to join you guys.

I'm 34, 5'11", and as of this morning 198lbs. I started the year around 230. Started tracking my calorie intake after the Super Bowl and lost about 15lbs by just eating clean and drinking lots of water. Did P90X (lean version) from mid March until right before I went on vacation in June. Got down to 192 before my trip, I felt great and looked the best I've looked in my adult life. Took vacation and about a month off from working out and was back up to about 205, obviously didn't eat well either. Started two weeks ago doing C25K and 200 situps and tracking my food again. I forgot how much I used to like running and how much it helps with cardio burn.

Couple of questions. Has anyone done 100 pushups? I'm going to try it after finishing 200 situps. Have any of you done the 30-day shred? I see mostly women on here doing it. I liked P90X but I don't have the time for 60-90 minutes 7 days a week right now. I think I will do P90X classic at the beginning of next year, but I want to keep running and do some other small time commitment activities for the rest of the year.

Thanks.
  • summersmi
    summersmi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I haven't done 100 pushups in a while, but being in the military I have in the past done that many. It is how when I was younger I was able to get a perfect score on my Physical Test ( 100 pushups, 100 situps, run 1.5 miles in 9 minutes or less). I haven;t done this in some time though I'll tell you it hurts when you first try it.
  • daved71
    daved71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Welcome cnance. I have done the shred with my wife, just get some heavier handweights for yourself.

I was down to 175 at the start of the summer, but with summer and camping I have gained back 5 of that. I need to get back on track and get down to about 150 by the time I go to Florida in March.

Great job to everyone who is still losing weight.

Casper, good to hear that everything is ok and your not injured to bad.
  • darman
    Options
    yee- flippin - haw!!! I broke the 20lbs lost mark - down to 171 - and yes it has been there for 3 days now..............I am sooooooooo pumped

Hey great job on the mountain bike!! I want to get started doing some of the as well - pretty flat here though so we will see

Welcome to the group cnance!! great to have you - awesome forum here
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    darman, If I can find some elevation change and dirt trails (mostly ripped up RR beds) in Kansas, surely you could do the same in SC. Just sayin. I finally got aroudn to mapping my ride from Sunday. It was around 17 miles, and took 2.5 hours, and the further I get away from it, the more I realized how much I enjoyed it.

However, 17 miles in 2.5 hours tells me I'm in no condition to do this: http://flinthillsdeathride.com/ : Which I've had my eye on since I took up Mt Biking 8 years ago. I just knew I was in no shape to even try. Now I'm in 'better' shape, just not that kind of shape. I guess that should be a long term goal is to be able to do the Death Ride next summer.

cnance, Welcome to the group. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the Shred, but I know Casper has used it. I just have a hard time working out in front of a TV/Computer so I'm not a big DVD fan. Part of the reason I shy away from P90, Insanity etc.
    I did complete C25K last fall. That is an excellent program if you want to run. I fell off the running wagon earlier in the spring, but for the past week and a half I've been back.

I weighed myself this morning and came in at 279. Which means, after losing 6 last week...I haven't lost anything this week.
    I think I'm going to focus on hitting the goals I can control, and not worry about the scale, and weigh myself the Friday before Labor Day and see what happens.

On a good note, If I finish my planned work outs this week I will have covered 32 miles either running or cycling.
  • darman
    Options
    i hear ya' i play and yep you are right if i wanted it bad enough i would find somewhere - we'll see how it goes

Yeah I am trying to get away from the scales too - my weight fluctuates soooooo much during the week the scales mess me up - i am just going to "try" and start going with how i feel - even though you didn't loose be happy that you didn't gain anything
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    i hear ya' i play and yep you are right if i wanted it bad enough i would find somewhere - we'll see how it goes

Yeah I am trying to get away from the scales too - my weight fluctuates soooooo much during the week the scales mess me up - i am just going to "try" and start going with how i feel - even though you didn't loose be happy that you didn't gain anything

I know what you mean. A new hobby is completely out of the question for me.

I'm just going hit my fitness/nutrition goals, and re-evaluate after 5 weeks. In other good news I saw hip-bone when changing after my swim at lunch, and the Royals released Jose Guillen!
  • darman
    Options

I know what you mean. A new hobby is completely out of the question for me.

I'm just going hit my fitness/nutrition goals, and re-evaluate after 5 weeks. In other good news I saw hip-bone when changing after my swim at lunch, and the Royals released Jose Guillen!
    sweet!! I got out of the shower this morning and my wife said there was something on my side - she reached and felt it and said oh my that's muscle!! I was showing a 4 pack this morning!! next week marks my 1 year anniversary for getting in shape!!
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Gained 1.8 pounds last Monday

Pretty much up and down with the same 5 pounds for a couple of months.
  • cnance
    cnance Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been battling a sinus infection and haven't been working out, but somehow last almost 2.8 lb since last week to land at 195.2.

Not sure I believe it though, as this happened in the spring when I had a sinus infection also and the weight came back once I was off the antibiotic and decongestant.
  • summersmi
    summersmi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I think you just hit a point and it takes more to lose. Plus I have been doing more muscle building exercise so maybe......

sorry I meant to quote umpire in this one......computer illiterate.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I am newish to the site. My goal is just to lose a few inches of my waist and build some muscle. My BMI is in the normal range, but I need to work on cardio and figure out how to break my weight lifting plateau. I am hoping also to get some good advice and idea from the guys on this thread.

And thanks to unpire57 for pointing the way to this thread.
  • Umpire57
    Options
    I do what I can :)
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    I've been battling a sinus infection and haven't been working out, but somehow last almost 2.8 lb since last week to land at 195.2.

Not sure I believe it though, as this happened in the spring when I had a sinus infection also and the weight came back once I was off the antibiotic and decongestant.

Every time I go on AB I lose 5-7 lbs instantly.....and they come back when I'm done. It took me a full month to recover from the SI I had in March.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    I am newish to the site. My goal is just to lose a few inches of my waist and build some muscle.

This sight has helped me get to places I couldn't dream of 2 years ago. Now, I'm actually thinking about a Half Marathon. As a former jolly fat man I used to laugh at those people.

My advice to you is to focus on one or the other. You can't build muscle in a calorie deficit (Do not confuse muscle growth with increased strength), and you will need that to lose inches, although, they may not come off of your waist.
  • darman
    Options
    I am newish to the site. My goal is just to lose a few inches of my waist and build some muscle. My BMI is in the normal range, but I need to work on cardio and figure out how to break my weight lifting plateau. I am hoping also to get some good advice and idea from the guys on this thread.

And thanks to unpire57 for pointing the way to this thread.
    welcome!! man i know all about plateaus - what are you trying to break? endurance / amount ? i will say that for weight loss its all about endurance lifting but get me some info and i will see if i can help - i will send you a friend request so you can message me