Guys please explain..

Options

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Ah, so even how he loses is important.
    He can lose like a man or a sissy?

So, why do little guys pick on big guys if they know the big guy can whip their butt?

This also answers another of your questions but I am former military and work at a defense contractor so my "enviornment" probably colors my respose somewhat.

It is highly important how you win, even more important than why you are fighting. The argument is really just an excuse to get to the fight in most cases. You want your win to be undisputed and that includes not "cheating". Just look at the UFC. Nobody wants to see a fight go all 3 or 5 rounds. The best fights are over in less than a minute. Guys like "finishers".

Why do little guys stand up to big guys? Easy. They have nothing to lose. I am 5'11" around 250 lbs and have trained quite a bit in the martial arts. If I win a fight, no big surprise everything was stacked my way most of the time. If one of the kids from engineering who is 120 lbs soaking wet knocks me out then he has "manned up" an overcome "insurmountable odds". If I choke him out then I am just "beating up a geek" and he gets sympathy for not backing down. There is really no incentive for him not to fight and every incentive for me to find another solution to the dispute. This is also why I will never arm wrestle a girl.

Whew!

I have heard guys are more of risk takers.
    True?
    My incentive not to fight is to not get hurt... :happy:
  • koyangi
    koyangi Posts: 14
    Options
    True?

I don't really see fighting as a risk other than being seen as a bully or possibly being arrested. Unless it is a criminal attack (i.e. he wants you dead, no witnesses, etc...) and is just social positioning or sport there is usually very little chance of permanent injury from a fight. The goal is to win and if things start to go badly lose valiantly. The party with the upper hand will usually show mercy and stop after you have "had enough" which, coincidentally, also prevents the ever-dreaded miracle comeback.

As the great Evel Kenievel said,“bones heal, pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars...”
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    True?

I don't really see fighting as a risk other than being seen as a bully or possibly being arrested. Unless it is a criminal attack (i.e. he wants you dead, no witnesses, etc...) and is just social positioning or sport there is usually very little chance of permanent injury from a fight. The goal is to win and if things start to go badly lose valiantly. The party with the upper hand will usually show mercy and stop after you have "had enough" which, coincidentally, also prevents the ever-dreaded miracle comeback.

As the great Evel Kenievel said,“bones heal, pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars...”

Oh, right, the "very little chance of permanent injury" train of thought....
    Of course... :noway:
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I'm taking notes...

:huh:
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    The Alpha male thing is with the younger guys. The older guys have nothing to prove anymore.

Interesting

I call bullsh*t...once an alpha, always an alpha...do NOT take my alpha male away...gawd!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    aww man.. i thought this thread finally went away a few days ago. it's been a week and i still dont know what the OP is asking.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    The First rule ....is don't talk about it...
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    The Alpha male thing is with the younger guys. The older guys have nothing to prove anymore.

Interesting

this is complete BS. Being an Alpha has nothing to do with being young. Lots of women mistake the bad boy for being the alpha male that is simply not that case. I would say type A personality is often the Alpha Male. There are many characteristics of an alpha male that will not be identified by people who believe alpha male is an age thing having to prove something.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    ...The Male Code of Conduct

When guys are with a group of guys (work, sports etc.), what is the ultimate goal and what do you do/not do to achieve that goal?

How do your brains work?

Is is really all about "winning"? The competitive drive?

And the real point of my post: how does this carry over into your relationship with your wife/girlfriend? Or does it?

Guy code? There's a guy code.

No naked touching.
    Don't stand at the urinal next to someone if you can space it out.
    You don't have to talk about things just to fill the air with sound. Silence is good.
    Brains work the same as anyone elses. Electrical impulses. Chemically driven electrical impulses.
    Winning doesn't matter as long as I am winning.
    As for the wife and te girlfriend. That's why there is conflict between the sexes. It doesn't carry over well.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    ...The Male Code of Conduct

When guys are with a group of guys (work, sports etc.), what is the ultimate goal and what do you do/not do to achieve that goal?

How do your brains work?

Is is really all about "winning"? The competitive drive?

And the real point of my post: how does this carry over into your relationship with your wife/girlfriend? Or does it?

Guy code? There's a guy code.

No naked touching.
    Don't stand at the urinal next to someone if you can space it out.
    You don't have to talk about things just to fill the air with sound. Silence is good.
    Brains work the same as anyone elses. Electrical impulses. Chemically driven electrical impulses.
    Winning doesn't matter as long as I am winning.
    As for the wife and te girlfriend. That's why there is conflict between the sexes. It doesn't carry over well.

wife and the girlfriend -> ugh I'm in the second category.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I'm just peeking in to see what the secret to men is.

Food.
    Sex.

Got it.
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    For me that doesn't have any bearing. I've actually always had more female friends than male friends anyway. So there is no correlation to the relationship I have with my wife.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I've never won.
    I am competitive when approriate.
    We have no brains.
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm just peeking in to see what the secret to men is.

Food.
    Sex.

Got it.
    Newsflash.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I went to an all girls high school, then went on to nursing school, and now work with mainly women so all of this is very interesting to me. :smile:

Oh . . . now I get it.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Are we writing someone's philosophy paper right now?
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    What are we thinking?

Uhhhh...bo0bs.

Uhhhh...beer.

Uhhhh....food.

Repeat.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I'm taking notes...

:huh:

Me too.
    Owner's manual... :wink:
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    There is no goal or objective or "code". You thinking that there is one is because you are female.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I've never won.
    I am competitive when approriate.
    We have no brains.

I knew it!
    jk :wink: