Is it RUDE to offer your "fat clothes" to a friend?

Options

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I would have to err on the side of no. I do offer them to my DD and she has the choice of taking them or donating them. Either way its fine with me.

ETA - I should add that there are some things I never wore and still have the tags. Those I am going to sell on E-bay.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Bring your friend over to help you "sort your donation clothes". If she is interested then she will ask to take the ones she likes. It is a non-confrontational way to let her choose if she wants them.

HOw did the dude on the thread hve the best idea? lol ;)
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person whether they'd think it was rude.

I'd be grateful if a friend offered me some free clothes, personally, but some people can be super sensitive about that stuff.

If you know them well enough, fine. If you don't, I second the broad offer on facebook.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    My mom doesn't mind at all, but she's also said (multiple times), "HEY. GIMME ALL YOUR AGE APPROPRIATE (appropriate for *her* age) CLOTHES WHEN YOU'RE TOO EFFIN SKINNY FOR THEM."

I second the broad offer on FB, and if there aren't any takers, donate them.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    only if you call them "fatty" when you do it.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be offended! I've also seen ppl offer up stuff on MFP (not hinting :wink: ). If you have to ask, she may not be in the right mindset to take it the right way. Asking her to help you sort or posting on FB are good ideas, so is goodwill. I think in general, this isn't necessarily rude, it totally depends if you have that kind of relationship or not. I think it's green, generous and frugal, but some people have hangups about it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Bring your friend over to help you "sort your donation clothes". If she is interested then she will ask to take the ones she likes. It is a non-confrontational way to let her choose if she wants them.

What can I say? I am effin' brilliant!!
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I've passed along a lot of clothes, but my friends have specifically asked me to give them first right of refusal. If it is a name brand item I might try to find it a good home, but otherwise will donate.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES! It doesn't matter how you say it, we know you're giving us your fat clothes. I've been there, and it's totally embarrassing!

This. Besides, isn't it rude to "donate" your clothes to your friends anyways? Unless they're in need of course in which case I guess you can

why would it be rude?

I love when my one friend decides she doesnt want something...she has great taste!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

I am torn on this one.... On one hand it seems good, but on the other hand, you are still "calling out that one chubby friend for your far clothes." Most females would see right through that and still consider it 'being singled out for left over fat clothes'... And you are back to friends that would be fine with it and friends that would feel offended.

Edited for the typos I caught, which may not be all of them.
  • CaroseH
    CaroseH Posts: 72
    Options
    I've been on the receiving end of a friend's "fat clothes"...she had great taste and tended toward designer stuff. Hell yes, I wanted them! I didn't think it was demeaning at all.

I second this!!!! My friend had great stuff that was given to her as a gift, really nice designer clothing, but it was too big for her. She casually asked me if I wanted them, and I was super pumped to wear them! That being said, if your friend is self conscious about her weight, it's probably not going to be the best thing to do. I wasn't super concerned with my weight at the time, and didn't view it was a put down at all. But every one is different, and you as her friend can probably gauge where she's at with herself!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    no i don't find it rude to offer....i have a friend who has lost a lost of weight, and the pants i have when i was heavier fit her...she didn't/doesn't find it rude...she now has more pants to wear.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    It. Might depend on how good of a friend.
    Are you and these friends on Facebook. Maybe you could make a general statement of "I have a few dresses I don't wear anymore, cute and in good shape, anyone want them?"
    Less "personal" than zeroing in on that one chubby friend.....

Maybe Good Will is your best bet. (But I'd not be offended if it were me)

^ THIS. Really like the idea of making a generalized statement on FB. Then if she wants them, she can come to you.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You can always try freecycle. Post that you have some size __ clothes that are really cute with a lot of life left, come and get them.

Usually people give me clothes when they don't fit in them anymore the other way. Your problem is a good one to have! :)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

I am torn on this one.... On one hand it seems good, but on the other hand, you are still "calling out that one chubby friend for your far clothes." Most females would see right through that and still consider it 'bing singled out for left over fat clothes'... And you are back to friends that would be fine with it and friends that would feel offended.

Edited for the typos I caught, which may not be all of them.

Depends on how you bring it up. Mention while hanging with them that you need to sort through them and could use help. It really isn't that difficult.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Pffft! Free clothes? I'm in! You can call me "fatty" to my face if you have great style. I'll be right over to try them on. ;)
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    i dont think its rude, if youre close to the friend and as long as you arent being an *kitten* when asking if she'd like the clothes youll be fine. maybe say something like "hey, i was going to be donating some clothes, do you want to see what you want first?" idk, i dont think its rude...at least to me lol
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Offer them. If she's a good friend, she'll know your heart. My sister loves getting clothes I can't wear any more.
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just was gifted an awesome skirt from a friend who's lost weight. I'm still in process. I was very excited to get this skirt - I had admired it in the past! If she's a good friend, she will be happy to have them.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Just say:" I have a bag of clothes that is going to Good Will. If you know anyone who would want to go through them, let me know. Otherwise they will be gone by Tuesday."