I have a huge pet peeve with unleashed animals

Options
BflSaberfan
BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
I started running about a month ago....since then I have been chased by 2 dogs, and 2 goats. Yes, goats. I cannot tell you how terrifying it is to be charged by an animal. Why do people allow their animals to roam free? I live in the country and it is really common - in the summer we usually consistently have 4 or 5 runners come down our street and like clock work the same dogs chase the same people. I dont even know if this is legal or if there is anything I can do about it, probably not. I just think it's incredibly negligent of the pet owner to allow this with no concern for their pet or any people wanting to simply run down the damn street.

PS I can laugh about the goats today but I was absolutely terrified yesterday!

Replies

• piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    The goats may be chasing you because the are curious... I used to walk on a dirt road and there were several pastures with goats... they'd always come running to the fence and follow me down... Goats are usually pretty friendly unless its a billy..... ;/

As far as the dogs... Get a small airsoft pistol and shoot them or pepper spray them... Usually that only takes once and they quit their ****... If you live in town you can call the police about it also
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    The goats may be chasing you because the are curious... I used to walk on a dirt road and there were several pastures with goats... they'd always come running to the fence and follow me down... Goats are usually pretty friendly unless its a billy..... ;/

As far as the dogs... Get a small airsoft pistol and shoot them or pepper spray them... Usually that only takes once and they quit their ****... If you live in town you can call the police about it also

I'm not sure if they were curious or being aggressive and glad I did have to find out. One was pretty large and the other I am assuming female was much smaller but was running with him
  • LandonRand
    LandonRand Posts: 166
    Options
    Just run faster! :)
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    I had my dog in the yard playing fetch when a walker with a dog came by this morning. My dog is young (thus dumb), and ran to greet them before I realized they were there. The walker started hitting him with a walking stick and then said, "You should have that damn dog on a leash." To which I replied, "We're outside playing fetch our yard. He lives here, you don't, and he's not left outside unsupervised. Call the cops or don't walk here anymore."

THE END.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    I had my dog in the yard playing fetch when a walker with a dog came by this morning. My dog is young (thus dumb), and ran to greet them before I realized they were there. The walker started hitting him with a walking stick and then said, "You should have that damn dog on a leash." To which I replied, "We're outside playing fetch our yard. He lives here, you don't, and he's not left outside unsupervised. Call the cops or don't walk here anymore."

THE END.

Was the walker in your yard or the sidewalk/street? A coworker of mine use to let her puppy play in the yard, until he got hit by a car and died. She doesn't do that with her new dogs any more.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

God Bless America :love: :love: :love:

What was this thread about again?
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, specially the big dogs since i am scared of them,lol
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Chasing you playfully or to attack you? Either way just kick it or carry rocks in your pocket to throw at it.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    The issue isn't with leashes, it is with manners and training. My dogs are almost always off leash, and they are better behaved than most confined animals.

Though I must say you sound a bit like the city folk who move up here and then complain about the smells, noises and bugs associated with living in the country and around livestock. Perhaps you would be happier in the city?
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I was attacked by a duck once while running. Who knew a duck could be so aggressive? It was sort of funny.

What was not funny, though, was when I was bitten by a dog during a run. I agree: why the hell aren't these dogs on a leash? This dog was NOT merely playing fetch with its otherwise responsible owner in the yard.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I keep my dog off leash, I don't care if you don't like it. I would also have been more worried about the goats, they're shifty, I don't trust em!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

THE END.

Amen! Dogs don't need to be leashed on their own property!
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    Was a monkey riding the goat?

monkey-goat.gif
  • jayce54321
    jayce54321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This would be a better country if more humans were leashed.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    bleat.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I know here where I live it is illegal no mater what to have a dog unleashed on public property (or apartment complex ect...) but unless the cops see the animal unleash you have to go to court for it too when you press the charges.

I know this due to an idiot neighbor and her unleashed pitbull that has prompted my husband to now apply for a gun. I can't even walk our pets now without fear of the damn dog running after me and the 22 year old girl who owns it is always 50 ft behind and on her phone and not paying attention.

And I agree that as long as you are not on the person property, sidewalk and streets should be 100% pet clear for someone and the animal should be trained enough to stay in the yard or be on a leash or invisable fence.
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    The issue isn't with leashes, it is with manners and training. My dogs are almost always off leash, and they are better behaved than most confined animals.

Though I must say you sound a bit like the city folk who move up here and then complain about the smells, noises and bugs associated with living in the country and around livestock. Perhaps you would be happier in the city?

I grew up in the city, I wouldn't move back there if you paid me lol The smells, noises and bugs dont bother me at all. And I agree with the training, there is 1 dog that is outside without a leash he doesn't bark at me, nor does he run after me, just sits there and watches me.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    My dog hasn't been on a leash (or even collared) for over two months... and she's a "big ferocious" pitbull. She would chase you to play, and that's about it.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are the fainting goats?? Try screaming/scaring them and see if they fall over haha.
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I understand your concern. I was trying to run early in the morning in my neighborhood (before daylight), but I had to stop because I was afraid of the dogs. One dog was on a chain, but he was barking aggressively and pulling at the chain so hard you could hear it banging. He is a big strong muscular dog so I was afraid he might actually break the chain and get me. I may try the airsoft pistol thing like another user suggested in the future.