I have a huge pet peeve with unleashed animals

Options

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I started running about a month ago....since then I have been chased by 2 dogs, and 2 goats. Yes, goats. I cannot tell you how terrifying it is to be charged by an animal. Why do people allow their animals to roam free? I live in the country and it is really common - in the summer we usually consistently have 4 or 5 runners come down our street and like clock work the same dogs chase the same people. I dont even know if this is legal or if there is anything I can do about it, probably not. I just think it's incredibly negligent of the pet owner to allow this with no concern for their pet or any people wanting to simply run down the damn street. I can laugh about the goats today but I was absolutely terrified yesterday!

ETA - I have no problem with trained unleashed dogs, there is one on my street that doesn't bark when I pass him, doesn't run up to me , just sits there and watches me - his owner is always outside with him. I've passed him several times and have never had a problem.
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    This would be a better country if more humans were leashed.
    Yes!!

As a dog owner I always "love" the idiots who think they have control of their off leash dogs, morons!! Dog are impulsive, especially a younger dog. My dog is off leash only in off leash areas. If you play with your dog in your front yard you should have a physical or hidden fence to keep your pet safe and to keep others safe!

I agree with this too. And I have a dog of my own that I dearly love but I do not take her out without a leash.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I was attacked by a duck once while running. Who knew a duck could be so aggressive? It was sort of funny.

What was not funny, though, was when I was bitten by a dog during a run. I agree: why the hell aren't these dogs on a leash? This dog was NOT merely playing fetch with its otherwise responsible owner in the yard.

Dude, geese! They are freaking terrifying and HUGE! :grumble:
  • mls5871
    mls5871 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    IF you are concerned get an air horn. The loud noise directed at them will scare them away.

Pepper spray will only work if the other dog is really close, and the spray in the air will most likely get in your eyes too.
    An air pistol is to directional, and you don't want anyone to misunderstand what you are carrying.

AirHorns are the best protection for random dogs you encounter.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    i don't put a leash on him cause he never runs away... but don't piss him off cause he will chase your *kitten*!!!

IMAG0582.jpg
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My dog hasn't been on a leash (or even collared) for over two months... and she's a "big ferocious" pitbull. She would chase you to play, and that's about it.

And people who don't know your dog should just assume that of a pitbull? I hate the arrogance of dog owners who think it is ok to let their dogs roam especially if they are bigger breeds.
  • PhattphlabbieAquarian
    Options
    bi***** should be kept on a leash!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I love how these threads always end up in a "dogs are great" vs. a "dogs suck" debate. If you own a dog, then it is your responsibility to train it and ensure that it doesn't attack other people. Yes, a person who knows dogs can tell when a dog is play chasing versus attacking, but not everyone can.

Being chased by a goat though is a frick'n classic! lol :laugh:
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I love how these threads always end up in a "dogs are great" vs. a "dogs suck" debate. If you own a dog, then it is your responsibility to train it and ensure that it doesn't attack other people. Yes, a person who knows dogs can tell when a dog is play chasing versus attacking, but not everyone can.

lol yeah my friends on facebook got quite a laugh out of that one too - and while I am scared of dogs I dont dislike them....I just dont like them chasing me while they are barking.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I hate dogs. I have been scared of them forever. The county road my son's preschool is on has a trailer and this lady just lets her dogs run wild all over the road, fields, people's yards. A farmer actually had to stop plowing last spring as the dogs kept following his tractor and he was afraid he was going to run over them.

It's extremely rude to have dogs off a leash of you are not on your property. It's like when strangers let their kids climb all over your booth at a restaurant.

You may love them but they may cause other people anxiety and fear or maybe even allergies.

On a funny note, my boss no longer walks her street as she was attacked by owls twice last year. One swooped down and tried to take her away by her hair!
  • IHAVEPMS247
    IHAVEPMS247 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was walking my dog and was in actually in my yard (my dog was leashed) when their dog escaped it's home as the owners opened the front door bringing in groceries. Their dog attacked my shih tzu, which was only about 4 pounds at the time (few months old). My daughter was with me and as the owner came out to get their dog, the dog started to go after my daughter. I called animal control/police and nothing could be done because this was on the dogs second offense and it did not hurt my child.

The pit bull owner was required to get their dog fixed (they thought it would lesson the dogs aggression). They no longer allow the dog even in their fenced back yard without it being chained up because they are worried that the next time they get an animal control visit they will lose their dog. I however, cannot even enjoy sitting in my own back yard because that dog is out at least 15 hours of the day and it runs the entire length of the fence growling and jumping on the fence. The ground litteraly has a path that is worn down about 6-8 inches from the dog running back and forth along both my fence line and the house next to theirs.

I still walk my dog, but I carry a weapon to protect myself and child.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I bet when they chase you you run faster. You should be thanking them. Think of the drive and determination you have when running from them you would not have been able to harness on your own.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

lol yeah my friends on facebook got quite a laugh out of that one too - and while I am scared of dogs I dont dislike them....I just dont like them chasing me while they are barking.

I can imagine. No, OP, being chased by dogs isn't fun. I had a family friend who was attacked and mauled and lost his career as a deep sea diver as a result. I love dogs, I just don't care much for irresponsible pet owners.

Oh, and I've been chased and attacked by geese. So don't feel so bad about the goat. :wink:
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My dog hasn't been on a leash (or even collared) for over two months... and she's a "big ferocious" pitbull. She would chase you to play, and that's about it.

This ^ is also a dog that allows a toddler to chase her, pull her tail, and use her as a pillow. She snuggles the toddler as if he is her own, and gets sad when he goes to bed. Said dog also is a lap dog, who would rather lay in the yard and nibble on a stick than chase anyone. If you get her up to play, she will run with you, not after you.

Dog owners need to be responsible, as do people around dogs, cats, goats, ducks, etc. I was bucked by a horse when I was a kid, requiring surgery to repair the damage. I don't hate horses, or think that or any horse needs shot. I just don't ride them. So, if you really don't like what the dogs are doing, talk to the owners, or find a different way to run.

Everyone keeps forgetting that goats chased you as well. Do people want to shoot the goats too?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I still walk my dog, but I carry a weapon to protect myself and child.

My dad's neighbors have a really mean, aggressive dog. It's so bad that they have a sign in their drive on holloween to not approach the house because of the dog. It got out once and cornered my sister and step-mom. They were screaming for my dad who came out as the neighbors ran over to get it. My dad assured them that the next time the dog came in his yard, he would shoot it. Sadly, there have been a few times where my parents were working outside and had to have their guns on them because the dog has been out.

Last summer the dog got out again with my son playing on his swing set. He was up on the top so the dog couldn't get him but my dad came out of the barn with his gun on it and the neighbors ran screaming towards their dog, cussing at my dad. Needless to say, it's not a friendly neighbor relationship anymore.

Seriously though, it were a human coming after you in your own yard, you would defend yourself. Why not an animal? Why should people have to not use public roads because dog owners can't be responsible?
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options

This ^ is also a dog that allows a toddler to chase her, pull her tail, and use her as a pillow. She snuggles the toddler as if he is her own, and gets sad when he goes to bed. Said dog also is a lap dog, who would rather lay in the yard and nibble on a stick than chase anyone. If you get her up to play, she will run with you, not after you.

Dog owners need to be responsible, as do people around dogs, cats, goats, ducks, etc. I was bucked by a horse when I was a kid, requiring surgery to repair the damage. I don't hate horses, or think that or any horse needs shot. I just don't ride them. So, if you really don't like what the dogs are doing, talk to the owners, or find a different way to run.

Everyone keeps forgetting that goats chased you as well. Do people want to shoot the goats too?

I don't know that about your dog. And I don't need to. It's YOUR job as a dog owner to keep it away from me in public. Period. I don't care if it "just wants to play". I don't want to play with your pittbull. I don't need to find out it's history. I don't need to spend time getting to know it and your family to know that when I'm out for a run I won't be attacked.

Keep your dog away from me and we won't have a problem. If you can't manage that I will take care of it myself.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Wasp spray. Directed into the face. Works from 20 feet away. As a 23-year mail carrier I've had to deal with my share of dogs. The worst in my experience were Rottweilers. One of those tried to come in the open car window after me, snarling.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I was attacked by a duck once while running. Who knew a duck could be so aggressive? It was sort of funny.

What was not funny, though, was when I was bitten by a dog during a run. I agree: why the hell aren't these dogs on a leash? This dog was NOT merely playing fetch with its otherwise responsible owner in the yard.

Dude, geese! They are freaking terrifying and HUGE! :grumble:

Geese attacked my daugther at the park when she was about 2. Luckily she had a nice big diaper on to absorb the bite before I scared them all off!! My old work used to have professionals come in with dogs to scare off the geese because they would attack us walking in to work!!!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I had my dog in the yard playing fetch when a walker with a dog came by this morning. My dog is young (thus dumb), and ran to greet them before I realized they were there. The walker started hitting him with a walking stick and then said, "You should have that damn dog on a leash." To which I replied, "We're outside playing fetch our yard. He lives here, you don't, and he's not left outside unsupervised. Call the cops or don't walk here anymore."

THE END.

Was the walker in your yard or the sidewalk/street? A coworker of mine use to let her puppy play in the yard, until he got hit by a car and died. She doesn't do that with her new dogs any more.

This happens more than I care to think about. Unless your dog has perfect call-back, he should not be off-leash when not in an enclosure.

Probably already said, but find out if there's a leash law in your town, and report the owner. My neighbors had no problem reporting me when the kids kept letting my dogs out. I was chased by a pig once at a client's when I was pet-sitting. It's scary when you don't know what they're going to do. She was not a happy pig, either.