SPOUSE/PARTNER HONEST FEELINGS

Options
ryanlee77
ryanlee77 Posts: 65 Member
how does ur partner react .to ur fitness journey? Results?New look? Time spent at the gym... ?I can tell u mine is not real thrilled about it ,says I spend too much time at the gym and worrying about the way I look...:(

Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    He's fine with it. He knows it makes me happy so that's all that matters to him. I also try and do it mostly on my own time (5am while everyone is sleeping) so it doesn't have a huge impact on family stuff. The only thing he doesn't like is when I try and power through an injury. :happy:
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't care about what he thinks about it. He can either join me, or continue to sit on the couch.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    He loves it, it motivates him, and vice versa!
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    He is happy that I am getting back into shape, but the amount of time that I spend exercising is a bit of a strain. I go to hot yoga 3 times a week- class is an hour but I'm gone from the house for about two hours. I just started CrossFit as well, and I am also going to try and do that three times a week, but I am going to try and go to 6 am class, so it should be less of an impact on him and the kids as they will still be snoozing while I'm gone.
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My wife gives me static about spending time in the gym always logging my food. Frankly, I don't care. There are a lot worse things I could be spending our "non together" time on. What I do is best for my health, best for my longevity, and its best for my overall affect and mood.
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    divorce ... oh well
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    He's happy about it. I just had a baby 3 months ago and had gained 60 lbs. His mom had gained a lot with her pregnancies and never lost it so I think he was worried about me too. He goes out of his way to help me make time to work out and brings me healthy foods. Well he also brings junk for himself which can be hard to resist but that's on me I guess.
  • AprilLove125
    Options
    Mine has a hard time mostly with me eating healthy because he still prefers crap "food". We almost never eat the same dinners at home because of it. I am planning on joining the gym by my work and going on my lunch breaks because he feels that we have way too many things at home to take care of (4 kids, constant remodeling, a 2+ acre family farm) for me to go to the gym at night. We have two different lifestyles and it does put a strain on us sometimes.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Mines is great now at first he was not sure and thought I would get all "bulky" lol but now he sees that it really makes me happy and he has even joined me in the journey of eating healthier and working out! I didnt worry too much about him when he was unsure I just told him that I want to be around for him and our kids as long as I can be and this will help.
    Good luck to you, communication is key! :flowerforyou:
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My husband has been so supportive. He has joined MFP, gotten us a family membership to a gym, goes to the gym with me, he Celebrates my successes, and pushes me through my failures. I can even depend on him to check the labels when he runs to the store for me!That said... He wants this because I want this. He has never thought of me as anything but beautiful, he would just be happy for me to see what he sees. I am a pretty lucky girl! :love:
  • ryanlee77
    Options
    Wow thx everyone .Maybe ill try to start exerciseing in the a.m...
  • PhattphlabbieAquarian
    Options
    I get complaints about "My Vanity", about how I'm all about me, and "Who am I doing this for? (doing it to improve my health & fitness apparently is NOT an acceptable answer) combined with deliberate interruptions during a workout and complaints about not spending enough time her because of my workouts. No compliments, no encouragement, just bit**ing.
  • ryanlee77
    Options
    Lol I can relate!
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Though this is not an issue for me currently b/c I'm single and have been for a very long time; when I was with my daughter's father and started losing weight working out and started tanning after I had her, he became VERY insecure. Granted he was projecting a lot of his own issues and infidelity eh hem but it gave me the confidence to finally leave him.

Granted I later gained 40lbs hahaha not sucha good thing but this is entirely for me and I don't really talk about it when men I date
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    My husband is happy I have started this journey but try's not to show how happy. He thinks it will hurt my feelings that he thinks I need to loose weight so he pretends he never noticed I got heavy. Well I know I am fat but I am on my way back to healthy and the closer I get the more excited he is.
  • ShellGetsFit
    ShellGetsFit Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    My husband is supportive. He always said I looked great before but since I've started he can't keep his hands off me at all. I just wish that he would join me in this but he seems to have no desire at all.
  • kayla7jackson
    Options
    Fortunately, my boyfriend is very supportive of my journey. He always reassures me that he is happy with me just the way I am and wants to make sure I am only doing this for me. He doesnt want me to think that I have to lose the weight to keep him around. He is an amazing guy, a keeper for sure. He also asks me how things are going, what I did at the gym today, and when I tell him about my weight lose he gets super excited about it. :) I guess that is LOVE.
  • kayla7jackson
    Options
    My husband has been so supportive. He has joined MFP, gotten us a family membership to a gym, goes to the gym with me, he Celebrates my successes, and pushes me through my failures. I can even depend on him to check the labels when he runs to the store for me!That said... He wants this because I want this. He has never thought of me as anything but beautiful, he would just be happy for me to see what he sees. I am a pretty lucky girl! :love:

This is exactly what I have. :) We are very lucky! Hang on to him!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Same here :)
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Wow, perfect timing for this topic as I've had it on my mind this morning.
    I have embarked on many weight loss regimes in my 42-1/2 years. Some with great success only to fall apart after the fact.
    This is the first time that I have done a complete 360, walked away from Weight Watchers and started strength training. Never have I felt so strong, seen such dramatic results (inches not scale lol) and I plan on going all the way.
    So last night I was telling my daughter how I am going to get rid of all my clothes as I grow out of them (which is what's happening rapidly) I turned to look at my husband and I could literally see him biting his tongue. I knew with certainty that in his head he was saying, "yeah sure, just like every other time eh?". He would never say that to me, but I knew that was exactly what was going through his mind.
    I have decided that his doubt just makes me angry and sooooooooooo determined. I WILL succeed!!!! Without his even knowing, he is helping me lol.