It was an accident (pics)

Options
Duck_Puddle
Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
I’d love to say that I started all of this because of health concerns or because I was tired of being fat, or because I wanted to look good, or anything that begins so many inspiring stories. The truth is, I started completely by accident – because of a squirrel. Most of this is in my profile, but here's a recap:

I ran in high school & college because I enjoyed it, it kept me healthy and it cleared my head and kept me calm. While in college, I survived a brutal assault during which I was held captive, tortured and raped. It took several weeks for the wounds to heal and needing to clear my head more than ever before, I started running again. I was quickly stricken with shin splints. Although shin splits are not earth shattering, at the time I barely had the emotional fortitude to carry on with things that were working – I certainly didn’t have the strength to work through things that weren’t. So running became added to the long list of things my attacker took from me and I moved on.

Fast forward 19 years and a staggering 95 pounds to the fall of 2011 when I was walking one of our dogs. Ordinarily, when he spots a squirrel, goose, duck or other “prey”, he starts squirming and if no one is around, we’ll let him off the leash to chase whatever wild game has caught his attention. The particular squirrel that day must have been especially offensive, because he didn’t wait for an “OK” – he took off. And he’s a husky – so when he takes off – you go right along with him. So off we went – in a full-on sprint after this squirrel. When he finally stopped (probably all of 10 yards later), I wondered if the proper protocol was to call the coroner before or after I rolled my lifeless, sweaty carcass out of the sight of small children. But after I finally caught my breath – I had the a-ha moment. It occurred to me that I have been angry for nearly 20 years about all the things my attacker took from me – and in that one single moment, I realized that I have let him keep them. That was it – the moment I began this whole “journey” – the moment I told myself that although there are many things I will never get back – I would absolutely reclaim my life from the man who tried to kill me.

So I started a couch-to-5K-esque plan the following day. Each day I ran felt like the chance to metaphorically punch my attacker in the gut and that motivated me to get out of bed and go. In March 2012, I ran my first race. I expected that when I crossed the finish line, I would have the overwhelming feeling that I was metaphorically spearing my attacker in the eye with a giant stiletto heel. But that’s not what happened. I crossed the finish line and felt such a sense of personal accomplishment – and it wasn’t until late that night that I realized I hadn’t thought about him at all during the entire experience. That was the moment I realized that I HAD taken back running – it was mine – to keep – and he’s not even part of it anymore. I am running for me and me alone because I want to, and because I like it. Running is the first thing I have "taken back" just because I wanted to-I didn't have to run again to be "normal"-I just want to do it. That has been the single most powerful part of my recovery.

Somewhere along the path, I heard about myfitnesspal and joined up. MFP has given me the tools to understand the consequences of my food & exercise choices. In plain, simple terms, I have been able to learn how to make substitutions and changes to the way I eat and how exercise fits into a healthy lifestyle and how losing weight and being healthy doesn’t mean eating only lettuce and celery for a month. It means finding and making choices that fit with your lifestyle and preferences in a way you can sustain forever. There is no “done” – it just is. I still have a bit more to lose, but I am eating and exercising the way I plan to for as long as I am able. The weight loss will take care of itself (and if it doesn’t, that’s OK too – my happiness is not tied to a number on the scale). My mfp friends are a wonderful bunch. They inspire me with their achievements, they remind me to celebrate my successes (however small), and don’t hesitate to give me a good swift kick in the @ss when I need it. The forums give me a place to realize I’m not alone, and that it’s normal to think and feel a lot of the things I do. They give me a place to ask questions and get input from so many that are in or have moved past the place I’m at. I’ve learned it’s OK to be annoyed at having to replace your wardrobe 50 times, it’s normal-ish to not see a difference (but eventually it will happen). I’ve learned it’s OK to have a bad day or a bad week or a bad month. *kitten* happens and success is defined in how you move forward, not your past. I could not have made it this far without mfp or my wonderful mfp friends.

Although I’m not yet at my “goal” weight, I’m posting now because a work colleague I hadn’t seen in a while told me he was proud of me (for losing weight and being healthy and all). I realized then that I was proud of me too.

STATS:
Height: 5’4”
Starting:
Weight: 233
Clothing size: 22/24 pants, 3X/4X shirt
Measurements: 52” (yes – all 3 the same, cause that’s sexy)

Current:
Weight: 156.6
Clothing size: 6/8 pants, M/L shirt
Measurements: 39.5, 36, 38 (inches lost = 42.5)

I “net” 1200 calories (I follow mfp & eat back my exercise calories). I eat normal, everyday food. I have bad days, I go to parties, I go out to eat, I just live my life. I run 5 days a week, about 25 miles a week.

My best NSV’s to date:
• Fitting in the middle seat on an airplane and having to pull the seatbelt tight (a lot).
• Fitting in restaurant booths.
• Having my “real” health screening numbers (for insurance) be significantly better than the ones I’ve been lying with for years.
• Buying clothes without an X in the size.
• Running a mile.
• Running 5 miles.
• Running 10 miles.
• Running at all.
• Being called tiny & skinny-@ss in the same week.
• Feeling normal.
• Feeling like I am finally living a life for me, and one that doesn’t revolve around a man that tried to kill me.

I don’t have any photos of me at my highest weight, but these are close (probably around 210-215 in these):
0181173C-79DB-46AC-80DA-6A8B80F87CD8-7472-00000B0C26E4E51D_zps1bb41d9c.jpg

These are photos from my first race in March 2012 (left) and the same race this March:
B6FD955C-6293-4C25-BF6A-8A827BABFD19-6879-000009F5566040F1_zps7b0d6cc6-1_zps890e7393.jpg

The photo on the left is me deciding whether or not to buy size 6 jeans. The photo on the right is me deciding whether or not to bring the dress on a trip:
BF31014F-9F40-446E-A73F-A8AE6814015D-6879-000009F552FDCBDD_zps662815c9-1_zpsb37adf1c.jpg

Replies

• Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Your story is incredible and your stats are amazing- keep up the good work (both emotional and physical)
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    You are very inspiring! So glad that you have taken your life back! Good luck! :smile:
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Inspiration! Your story made me so happy! This is true victory and I commend you for taking back what's yours and moving forward! Keep it up!
  • emsthethininme
    emsthethininme Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Your story brought tears to my eyes... you are an amazing person! Thank you so much for sharing your story!
  • nicolej1016
    nicolej1016 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story with courage, candor, and wit! Very inspired and impressed by what you have achieved - inside and out!

Somewhere out there is a squirrel who should be given an extra acorn! :)
  • kss1231
    kss1231 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You look great. Keep up the good work.
  • vvrucker
    vvrucker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow, just wow. An amazing job! Way to go.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. You are doing great.
  • 3_is_enough
    Options
    That is just amazing! You have every right to be proud of yourself! You are such a strong woman!
  • RunnerLisa1
    RunnerLisa1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So proud to be your MFP friend. You & your story inspire me every day!!!
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    What an incredible story of overcoming adversity and taking back your life. You are truly a strong woman and I commend you on all your accomplishments. You look amazing!!!
  • lcrayburn1
    lcrayburn1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Good work!
  • bugs5697
    bugs5697 Posts: 85
    Options
    Truly inspiring.
    Congratulations on all of your success!!
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a recovery, and what personal strength. Thanks for being willing to share, and good luck on your journey.
  • janicemitchellcross
    janicemitchellcross Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You have come so far physically and mentally you should be proud. So glad to be part of your mfp family you are looking great
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Congratulations on all of your accomplishments. You have overcome so much. This is very touching and inspirational. Thank you for sharing.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Awesome success story all around. And I hope you brought the dress with you on that trip!
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    God Bless You!! , your dog, and the darned squirrel!! for your Ah-Ha moment. Your story cracked me up and brought tears to my eyes! You are a Wonderwoman and should wear a cape in your next race!
  • mjpbgtd
    mjpbgtd Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Good Lord woman! What you've been through, and what you've accomplished - amazing. Good for you. I admire your courage and honesty. Enjoy all the physical and emotional accomplishments of you've made -- nicely done, what an inspiration.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!