Funniest/Most Useless weight loss myth you've heard

Options
Growing up, I was always told doing crunches would give me a flat stomach, eating carbs at night would make me gain, etc.

Just wondering what other weight loss myths are floating out there (and misguiding people, haha)

Replies

• AceDuddyMegaa
    Options
    6 meals a day
    Carbs are evil
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I was always told doing crunches would give me a flat stomach, eating carbs at night would make me gain, etc.

Just wondering what other weight loss myths are floating out there (and misguiding people, haha)

Do not eat after a certain time.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    The calories from fruit don't count towards your daily total.
  • thomaseggleton
    Options
    Starvation mode
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Dinner shouldn’t be eaten after 7 p.m. because your body’s digestion gets weaker at night and cannot process food as well; undigested food is turned into toxins and often stored in your fat cells.

Just heard this today (on MFP no less) and it makes total sense - NOT!
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If you are not drenched in sweat after a workout then it didn't really matter or if you are not sore then next day you didn't workout hard enough once again.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    All of the above
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Your "first phase" of weight-loss should be diet-only, no exercise. (I'm very capable of moving, and even at my heaviest was able to go out and run at least a mile).
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Being told not to eat past a certain time in the evenings.
    F that. I consume the majority of my calories in the evenings. Ice cream before bed makes me happy. And has NO affect on my weight loss :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    The drinking water thing keeps coming up again and again. It's even here on this site (you're expected to log water in your MFP diary).
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Don't eat after 5pm.

What if I don't go to bed until midnight? What if I work overnight? 5pm is the magic time where my body automatically stops burning calories and/or digesting food? Horse pucky.

"I've gained 7 pounds." "It must be all that muscle you're putting on from exercising"

No one gains 7 pounds of muscle in a month.
  • ac_boubou
    ac_boubou Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do not eat the P. like potato, pasta, pastry, pain (pain=bread in french)
    I agree with the pastry, but for all others...no problem to eat that!

Do not eat the fruit after, do not eat this with that...all the association food. Come on! Wathever :tongue:
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon causes the pounds to fall off, so I am eating that instead of exercise. (family member told me that)
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Eating after 7 will make you gain weight
    You HAVE to eat breakfast or you will gain weight
    You cant lift weights (women) or you will get bulky/hard like a man
    You HAVE to eat **insert food here** to lose weight

Its amazing how many crazy theories you hear when it comes to weight loss
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Don't eat past a ceartain time, no pain no gain i.e if you're not in pain the next day you didn't work hard enough.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Cleansing
  • doctorwhome
    Options
    Fruit is high in carbs, so you shouldn't eat it.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Salt will kill you. Sugar will kill you. Fast food will kill you. Saturated fats will kill you. Walking doesn't burn a lot of calories. You need to lift weights to maintain your lean mass.

Oh, and NHS Choices saying that all men trying to lose weight should consume 1,900 calories per day (even if they burn 5,000 calories per day) and all women should consume 1,400 calories per day (even if they burn 5,000 calories per day).

Muscle and fat weigh the same.

Drink tons of water (an unspecified multiple of 1,016/907/1,000 litres) every day.

Don't eat after certain times. Only eat when hungry. Eat sugar-free boiled sweets when you crave sugar. Eating clean is the only way. Don't exercise so you can eat more.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    weight loss is 80% diet. Psssh.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Don't eat carbs.
    Don't eat after 7 p.m.

anything that comes out of Dr. Oz's mouth.