Funniest/Most Useless weight loss myth you've heard

Options

Replies

• aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I was always told doing crunches would give me a flat stomach, eating carbs at night would make me gain, etc.

Just wondering what other weight loss myths are floating out there (and misguiding people, haha)

why are these myths that you have stated?? they sound legit to me....i mean crunches work your abs.....too many carbs will make you fat especially if you are not burning them off..... Simple

Crunches build muscles, they don't give you a flat stomach.

haha. so that would mean....that it makes your stomach muscular??

i guess youre right...im sorry, crunches will make your stomach muscular....not flat....i assumed that a muscular stomach was a flat stomach.....thats what i would call a flat stomach...i guess youd call it rippley
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Clean eating/foods
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options
    ask this guy if he does crunches^^^^^^^^^^^

she didnt say burn fat from her stomach she said make her stomach flat....crunches will definitely assist in that...js. of course you cant eat a cake then do one crunch and expect your stomach to be flat
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I was always told doing crunches would give me a flat stomach, eating carbs at night would make me gain, etc.

Just wondering what other weight loss myths are floating out there (and misguiding people, haha)

why are these myths that you have stated?? they sound legit to me....i mean crunches work your abs.....too many carbs will make you fat especially if you are not burning them off..... Simple

i guess youre right...im sorry, crunches will make your stomach muscular....not flat....i assumed that a muscular stomach was a flat stomach.....thats what i would call a flat stomach...i guess youd call it rippley

I think flat stomach does not equal abs... You can have a flat stomach without having abs. You get a flat stomach by eating right and burning fat, you get abs by doing crunches. Growing up I thought doing crunches would give me a flat stomach also. Unfortunately, doing 1,000 daily but not eating right gave me hidden abs :laugh:
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    oh and anything with the word "cleanse" "thee day diet" "six day diet" bla bla in it...and "dr oz said..." makes me want to do mass murder...

^^^ YAY THIS^^^
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    fruit is thermogenic so you can eat as much as you want.
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options

I think flat stomach does not equal abs... You can have a flat stomach without having abs. You get a flat stomach by eating right and burning fat, you get abs by doing crunches. Growing up I thought doing crunches would give me a flat stomach also. Unfortunately, doing 1,000 daily but not eating right gave me hidden abs :laugh:

crunches gave me a flat stomach....is why i know this is true
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Sauna belt – This is sold as "the easiest way to lose belly fat". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :noway:
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    of course you cant eat a cake then do one crunch and expect your stomach to be flat

Personally, I like to take a bite of cake between each crunch/sit up. It keeps me motivated. :laugh:

I know people who had gotten staples put in the little curled part in your ear. Supposedly that helps control your appetite so you lose weight. I'm not talking uneducated people either, these are nurses and nurse practitioners that were having this done!
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options

crunches gave me a flat stomach....is why i know this is true

Right, so you had a fat stomach, did crunches and the fat disappeared? Alright, then. I guess you CAN target fat loss ;)
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    Sauna belt – This is sold as "the easiest way to lose belly fat". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :noway:

I remember the one belt that would vibrate... Just put it on and sit on your *kitten* and watch the fat melt and the abs appear!
  • BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Gatorade will "replenish electrolytes" after hard workouts. Says the Gatorade marketing department. All those tailored pre- and post-workout grocery items are totally unnecessary, expensive, and wasteful (in terms of packaging). Need quick energy? Eat peanut butter, honey, and fruit. Need hydration? Try water. Sheesh.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle without eating X number of calories. The best is when it is combined with the phrase "you can only make the muscles you have stronger".

So, in my mind I imagine your body sitting there saying "Haha workout all you want, you can't get stronger", and then you say "oh yeah?" and eat a piece of pie which puts you over x calories, which triggers an alarm in your body that tells all the muscles "Holy ****, get to work!" and then you have new muscles popping out all over. And then you grow wings and fly, yay.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    mine was take cold showers to lose weight not sure how that helps but it made me chuckle
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle without eating X number of calories. The best is when it is combined with the phrase "you can only make the muscles you have stronger".

So, in my mind I imagine your body sitting there saying "Haha workout all you want, you can't get stronger", and then you say "oh yeah?" and eat a piece of pie which puts you over x calories, which triggers an alarm in your body that tells all the muscles "Holy ****, get to work!" and then you have new muscles popping out all over. And then you grow wings and fly, yay.

Yup. You nailed it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

she didnt say burn fat from her stomach she said make her stomach flat....crunches will definitely assist in that...js. of course you cant eat a cake then do one crunch and expect your stomach to be flat

I'm pretty sure you can have ripped abs underneath a whole bunch of fat because crunches don't burn the fat on top of your abs.

"Women must eat 1,200 calories to lose weight regardless of exercise." said by a person in the medical profession.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options

I'm pretty sure you can have ripped abs underneath a whole bunch of fat because crunches don't burn the fat on top of your abs.

"Women must eat 1,200 calories to lose weight regardless of exercise." said by a person in the medical profession.

according to that guy, they do...
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

according to that guy, they do...

Behind everyone is a ripped body builder, except we all have a different level of fat on top. yeah....thats it. I really look like Ronnie Coleman, except for all this darn fat.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    six small meals a day. I've been told this by my bosses multiple times... I hate having to bite my tongue :(
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Ok, I have heard from many fitness professionals that if you are at a caloric deficit that you cannot build muscle. You can tone, but you cannot build muscle.