Funniest/Most Useless weight loss myth you've heard

Options

Replies

• 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Muscle and fat weigh the same.

Muscle and fat DO weigh the same.. a lb is a lb, it's the volume that is different, not the weight!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    That if you eat certain foods together and never eat fruit with csrbs you will lose weight lol

If you eat grapefruit you will lose weight.....can I eat a grapefruit with my hot fudge sundae? Heehee

Dont exercise for the first few weeks of your diet......really?
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle without eating X number of calories. The best is when it is combined with the phrase "you can only make the muscles you have stronger".

So, in my mind I imagine your body sitting there saying "Haha workout all you want, you can't get stronger", and then you say "oh yeah?" and eat a piece of pie which puts you over x calories, which triggers an alarm in your body that tells all the muscles "Holy ****, get to work!" and then you have new muscles popping out all over. And then you grow wings and fly, yay.

Wait... I thought it was red bull that gave you wings... if you keep changing the rules i'll never be able to fly.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Eat a huge, sugar-filled breakfast and you won't crave sweets the rest of the day!
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle without eating X number of calories. The best is when it is combined with the phrase "you can only make the muscles you have stronger".

So, in my mind I imagine your body sitting there saying "Haha workout all you want, you can't get stronger", and then you say "oh yeah?" and eat a piece of pie which puts you over x calories, which triggers an alarm in your body that tells all the muscles "Holy ****, get to work!" and then you have new muscles popping out all over. And then you grow wings and fly, yay.

Ok, I have heard from many fitness professionals that if you are at a caloric deficit that you cannot build muscle. You can tone, but you cannot build muscle.

That would depend on where you start. I started at 285, so yeah, I have a defecit, but I'm also building muscle (ppl tell me it's not possible) I am now at a point that my lean muscle is burning calories efficiently enough that I am losing more lbs each week than I even plan.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    the newest one ive heard was today

Crunches are bad for you
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,342 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are poisonous because they are related to deadly nightshade.
    You must do a liver cleansing diet.
    We are all allergic to bread/milk/ and it clogs the system and makes us bloat.
    Blood group diet. - arrgh!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I was always told doing crunches would give me a flat stomach, eating carbs at night would make me gain, etc.

Just wondering what other weight loss myths are floating out there (and misguiding people, haha)

why are these myths that you have stated?? they sound legit to me....i mean crunches work your abs.....too many carbs will make you fat especially if you are not burning them off..... Simple

Crunches build muscles, they don't give you a flat stomach.

haha. so that would mean....that it makes your stomach muscular??

i guess youre right...im sorry, crunches will make your stomach muscular....not flat....i assumed that a muscular stomach was a flat stomach.....thats what i would call a flat stomach...i guess youd call it rippley

I think flat stomach does not equal abs... You can have a flat stomach without having abs. You get a flat stomach by eating right and burning fat, you get abs by doing crunches. Growing up I thought doing crunches would give me a flat stomach also. Unfortunately, doing 1,000 daily but not eating right gave me hidden abs :laugh:

crunches gave me a flat stomach....is why i know this is true

I do crunches all the time. I'm 190 lbs. I do not have a flat stomach. Why? Because I have a high bf%. Crunches alone do not lower my bf%
  • itslouiejay
    itslouiejay Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Lemon detox, Apple cider vinegar cleanse, the potato diet, the carrot & orange diet, ginger teas to lose fat, and other bull crap!

"Detoxes" and "cleanse" make me cringe :sick:
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Gatorade will "replenish electrolytes" after hard workouts. Says the Gatorade marketing department. All those tailored pre- and post-workout grocery items are totally unnecessary, expensive, and wasteful (in terms of packaging). Need quick energy? Eat peanut butter, honey, and fruit. Need hydration? Try water. Sheesh.

Gatorade works as advertised. It's a little pricey but, AFAIK, it's got the stuff in the bottle that it says it has.

Quick energy?
    Peanut butter is high in fat and has protein, as well, so it's not much use during cardio. We have scads of fat reserves already and cardio demands primarily carbs, fat to a lesser extent, though it varies, while protein provides < 10% of the energy used during cardio.

Honey - fine if you need a shot of glucose but beware of the water requirement for pure glucose which is much higher than the water requirement for higher GI carbs (that's why energy gels use a limited percentage of glucose, in favor of things like fructose and maltodextrin).

Fruit - no question. Lotsa carbs there!

And water - I'm with you 100%. I drink it right out of the tap (horror of horrors!)

I make my own recovery drink (Crystal Lite, lite salt, and sugar) and I also "make" my own energy gel (check out https://www.energygelcentral.com)

Added - this page compares different energy gels

https://www.energygelcentral.com/energy-gel-basics/energy-gel-comparisons
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The funniest ones I've heard (both on MFP) are:

- fat comes out in urine in white chunks.

- skipping a post workout protein shake means torn up muscles are excreted out.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who didn't believe that calories existed at all. She believed that the reason she was fat was because she had cushings, but she didn't have any of the other symptoms of cushings. Really, she was just fat because she ate too many calories and she was very inactive. Oh, wait, calories don't exist. Nevermind.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Carbs and cardio are evil...

...send me to hell then :tongue:
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options
    but are you doing them right? theres a wrong way to do crunches....ok, like i said before, you cant eat a whole cake and expect to do a couple of crunches and have a flat stomach. so your right, crunches will not help you in that situation. I never said you could target the fat on your abs by doing crunches. Howevwer, as i have said before, crunches will help you in getting a flat stomach. I know crunches are hard to do and they are a pain in the butt, but lets not get all crazy and claim that they do NOTHING for your stomach.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Gatorade will "replenish electrolytes" after hard workouts. Says the Gatorade marketing department. All those tailored pre- and post-workout grocery items are totally unnecessary, expensive, and wasteful (in terms of packaging). Need quick energy? Eat peanut butter, honey, and fruit. Need hydration? Try water. Sheesh.

I ran 25 miles yesterday. I needed the electrolytes to put the fluid into my muscles and organs for replenishing my body. Water would just slosh around in my stomach and possibly cause dilutional hyponatremia. (If i drink too much-but thats rare) I cant eat peanut butter or fruit during a run so Gatorade is great for that l. And actually during very hot weather it is essential and water not as effective.
    But i get your point water and the real thing is good! - You can make your own electrolyte solution but its yukky!!
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    oh and anything with the word "cleanse" "thee day diet" "six day diet" bla bla in it...and "dr oz said..." makes me want to do mass murder...
    This for sure and the no/low carb diets are wack... I eat so much pasta and bread it's stupid and I have lost a ton of weight.. I just make sure it's whole grains and not overly processed.....besides, it's SO tasty!!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    The funniest ones I've heard (both on MFP) are:

- fat comes out in urine in white chunks.

- skipping a post workout protein shake means torn up muscles are excreted out.

If have white chunks in my pee I'm headed straight to a doctor...that just ain't right!!!
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options
    but are you doing them right? theres a wrong way to do crunches....ok, like i said before, you cant eat a whole cake and expect to do a couple of crunches and have a flat stomach. so your right, crunches will not help you in that situation. I never said you could target the fat on your abs by doing crunches. Howevwer, as i have said before, crunches will help you in getting a flat stomach. I know crunches are hard to do and they are a pain in the butt, but lets not get all crazy and claim that they do NOTHING for your stomach.

and im out...gotta go do some crunches
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    oh.. milk is bad for humans because baby cows drink it (or something to that effect).
  • HudaSaman
    HudaSaman Posts: 46
    Options
    put cabbage leaves on you belly and you will lose the belly fat!!
    looool