Funniest/Most Useless weight loss myth you've heard

Options

Replies

• levicrouch
    Options
    Drinking apple cider vinegar will help lose weight. I hear the don't eat after 8pm one alot as well.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    "If you eat dinner late at night it willl go straight to fat and you'll never be able to lose it". By "late" she meant any time after 6 p.m.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    six small meals will keep you out of "starvation mode" shudders....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    oh and anything with the word "cleanse" "thee day diet" "six day diet" bla bla in it...and "dr oz said..." makes me want to do mass murder...
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Oh, THIS thread is going to start some arguments.

For me, it's eat more to weigh less. Honestly, each body is different so what works for those that follow the EMTWL regimine may not necessarily work for ME. It's what got me fat to begin with. I eat a lot of healthy foods, but I'm also a grazer so that didn't help.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Carbs are great, fats are the debbil. :devil:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Drinking apple cider vinegar will help lose weight. I hear the don't eat after 8pm one alot as well.

And pickle juice. Gee whiz. I wonder how many people have gotten ulcers doing this?!
  • ndj1979
    Options

For me, it's eat more to weigh less. Honestly, each body is different so what works for those that follow the EMTWL regimine may not necessarily work for ME. It's what got me fat to begin with. I eat a lot of healthy foods, but I'm also a grazer so that didn't help.

has there ever been a thread that did not start arguments?
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A really sweet friend of mine was telling me of her new diet where she has magnets but on her face and ears and eats low carb... Said she lost 9 lbs in a week or something crazy but my only thought was well the low carb is probably what did it not the couple hundred bucks to have magnets stuck on you face. But of course I didn't say that since wasn't asking for my opinion.
  • misseseaj2010
    Options
    The drinking water thing keeps coming up again and again. It's even here on this site (you're expected to log water in your MFP diary).

Drinking Water and getting enough fluids is part of a healthy diet. This website isn't just about losing weight, so why shouldn't it have a water tracker?

People say to drink water to make your stomach fuller so you'll eat less. I've never heard someone say you'll lose weight just by changing your water intake?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just don't understand what they meant about "it's even here on this site"?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    About 80% of the threads on this forum.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Change it to 90% and I agree.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Carbs are bad. Even the ones in fruit...

ETA: also going to agree on the 80% of the threads. And people constantly pushing their beliefs onto other people. NO weight/fat loss method is going to work for EVERYONE. So STOP telling everybody to check out a certain topic...
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I was always told doing crunches would give me a flat stomach, eating carbs at night would make me gain, etc.

Just wondering what other weight loss myths are floating out there (and misguiding people, haha)

why are these myths that you have stated?? they sound legit to me....i mean crunches work your abs.....too many carbs will make you fat especially if you are not burning them off..... Simple
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options
    Growing up, I was always told doing crunches would give me a flat stomach, eating carbs at night would make me gain, etc.

Just wondering what other weight loss myths are floating out there (and misguiding people, haha)

why are these myths that you have stated?? they sound legit to me....i mean crunches work your abs.....too many carbs will make you fat especially if you are not burning them off..... Simple

Crunches build muscles, they don't give you a flat stomach.

Also, they didn't say too many carbs will make you fat, they said carbs at night...
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options
    A really sweet friend of mine was telling me of her new diet where she has magnets but on her face and ears and eats low carb... Said she lost 9 lbs in a week or something crazy but my only thought was well the low carb is probably what did it not the couple hundred bucks to have magnets stuck on you face. But of course I didn't say that since wasn't asking for my opinion.

taahaa, magnets.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Just curious, but having a calorie deficit doesn't work for you? If you truly understand eat more to weigh less...then you understand that it's not about just shoveling food in your face and hope to weigh less, it's about eating enough to fuel your body and your exercise and still lose weight. It's about not having to survive by starving yourself. Eat more to weight less works of the very same principle as any other "diet"...reduce calories, it just does it in a way that doesn't automatically assume that women need 1200 calories to lose.

Eat more to weight less did not get you fat, just eating more did. Period. Same with me.
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options

haha. so that would mean....that it makes your stomach muscular??
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Change it to 90% and I agree.

QFT...so much T
  • squatsandlipgloss
    Options

haha. so that would mean....that it makes your stomach muscular??

If that's how you want to call it oO Crunches don't burn fat from your stomach. You can't target where you lose fat.