Keto?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Following this thread is making one thing clear to me about ketogenic diets... Coach Reddy is never going to convince people that a keto diet is bad, nor persuade them to give it up, and keto proponents are never going to convince him there is nothing wrong with a keto diet. To that end, being so opposed to ketogenic diets, I don't know why he's here continuing to denigrate them when so many people, who could very well be test subjects for keto diets, attest to their long-term effectiveness. For me it's time to get off this Moebius Strip of a thread.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Following this thread is making one thing clear to me about ketogenic diets... Coach Reddy is never going to convince people that a keto diet is bad, nor persuade them to give it up, and keto proponents are never going to convince him there is nothing wrong with a keto diet. To that end, being so opposed to ketogenic diets, I don't know why he's here continuing to denigrate them when so many people, who could very well be test subjects for keto diets, attest to their long-term effectiveness. For me it's time to get off this Moebius Strip of a thread.

bye!

i don't think keto doesn't have a place, i'm just saying more people are using it than need to be using it, and long term, most people end up rebounding, and thus, failing.

for most people it is unsustainable. that does not mean the same thing as being a "bad diet"
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    @CoachReddy, aren't you primal meaning you don't eat any grains? What makes it less difficult for you and more difficult for me? I wish you luch too :) May the odds be forever in your favour! lol

i follow primal about 80% of the time, however my version of primal is nowhere near low carb, since I eat a ton of fruit and veggies and sweet potatoes
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm finding this whole thread fascinating. I have a few questions about keto, who wants to answer them?!

- I play roller derby, which is a pretty good workout & high-endurance (500 cal/hr according to my BodyMedia thingie). Would I have to wait for the off-season to start keto?
    - This is less of a question...but...I really do love sweets. Someone promise me those cravings would go away with a keto diet? What would happen if I was in ketosis and ate a whole bag of Skittles?
    - I assume you still have to keep your calorie count relatively low for weight loss/fat burning - how do you manage that with so much fat? I mean, a piece of bacon is almost 100 cals on its own?

Thanks everybody :)

-I burnt 545 calories today@ the gym. I'm just fine. Some days I eat back calories if I'm really hungry, but usually not.
    -Can't promise you your cravings for sweets will go away. My cravings for carb's did...but as with everything, not everyone is the same.
    -I eat about 1500 calories a day. The bacon I eat is 90 calories for 2 slices. But it isn't ALL about the bacon. Being able to eat it with no guilt is certainly a perk =)

Good luck to you.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    @CoachReddy, aren't you primal meaning you don't eat any grains? What makes it less difficult for you and more difficult for me? I wish you luch too :) May the odds be forever in your favour! lol

i follow primal about 80% of the time, however my version of primal is nowhere near low carb, since I eat a ton of fruit and veggies and sweet potatoes

Yeah, I can see that by your food diary but still no grains or dairy. Do you think that is more sustainable than low carb?
  • siblita
    siblita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think the whole "low carb lifestyle" has been completely over-hyped.

I think you may be one of those people who are not carbohydrate intolerant or insulin resistant and you should be glad. But, until you open your mind to the reality that there are many people out there with widely varying degrees of both issues, you will never understand that for us it is not over-hyped, but under-hyped. There are many people who would benefit metabolically from a low carb or keto diet and they never try it because people like you with limited and biased information tell them it is unhealthy and over-hyped. The fact that many in the medical field are just as uninformed as you doesn't change the fact that this way of eating works for many people and it is more healthy than feeding ourselves with foods we are unable to properly process. Do a little research on the side effects of uncontrolled Diabetes and tell me those are healthy for me.

I agree totally. Very eloquent response!
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    When I first started my SKD (Standard Ketogenic Diet-no carb ups) none of the "keto flu" symptoms hit me until about a week and a half/two weeks in (despite me showing positive ketones on ketostix since week 1). Basically if you carb cycle too soon, your body will kind of revert back, and you're basically going to start over.

what about this makes Keto sound like a natural thing for human beings to be doing? you have to make yourself sick while your body adjusts, and THEN if you mess up on the cycling, you have to start all over.

and folks wonder why I think keto is unsustainable....

I got a week of headaches when I stopped caffein and smoking. How about your muscles hurting after a workout? Making it seem unnatrual because of a VERY short adjustment period due to getting off sugar is not seeing the forrest though the trees.

the adjustment isn't "getting off sugar", it's retraining your body to stop metabolizing glucose, which is the "default factory setting" in favor of cannibalizing fat cells. caffeine and smoking are not part of your natural metabolic process... sugar is.

listen, I understand the draw as a means of losing weight more quickly, but unless you plan to stay on this carb cycling plan indefinitely, you're going to have to learn to eat without gimmicks at some point. and if you are planning on carb cycling your whole life, then I wish you luck!

I think at this point we're arguing semantics here, there really isn't any particular "factory setting" for people. HOWEVER since modern agriculture techniques allowed for civilization expansion we (people), generally have ate a predominantly grain diet. There are "primitive" societies still on Earth that eat a primarily animal diet, so to them the exact opposite happens with the introduction of high amounts of carbs.

If you think "primal" isn't low carb you're probably not accounting well for history. It's "easy" to follow a "paleo" type diet when we have food imported from all over that isn't indigenous to the region. This is a rather simple example but humor me and try to imagine this:
    Make every inch of your yard into a "veggie" garden. Most of these things are NOT calorie dense; so after a long cultivation time (and a decent energy expense doing it all by hand), by the end of the "growing season" you probably have less then a month's worth of calorie intake (several weeks is closer to what I'd wager). Fruits and veggies were an AUGMENT to primal diets, which were primarily hunted.

Really if you think about it, if we went "totally primitive" with our food production techniques (no fertalizers, GMO, anitbiotics,hormones,etc- modern technology) a substantial portion of the world's population would die off.

Honestly in our society it's unlikely that most people EVER enter ketosis up until the point they actively try to do so (through dieting in most cases). We don't have to retrain anything, it's intrinsically part of our physiology. The human body DOES resist change, is the point I was trying to illustrate (and why I used the drug/alcohol example).