Keto?

Options

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Well, I am diabetic, and why anyone would want to voluntarily put their bodies into ketosis is beyond me.

I think you're confusing ketosis with ketoacidosis. Two VERY different things.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It's unfortunate, but the healthcare industry doesn't exactly turn a profit from healthy people.

Ain't that the truth.
  • GreenEggsNHan
    GreenEggsNHan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thinking of trying this out too... possibly. I do love my sweet potatoes though :/
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    The main way keto helps so much is because it STOPS cravings and so allows more success. Also by cutting out the most dangerous foods (not fats but sugars and processed junk) you are going to be eating more good healthy foods and less chemical so called healthy/low fat stuff. Keto enables control!! For many of us "a little" of many food groups is very difficult to manage. Non carboholics may never understand!
    this this this!!!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I think the whole "low carb lifestyle" has been completely over-hyped.

I think you may be one of those people who are not carbohydrate intolerant or insulin resistant and you should be glad. But, until you open your mind to the reality that there are many people out there with widely varying degrees of both issues, you will never understand that for us it is not over-hyped, but under-hyped. There are many people who would benefit metabolically from a low carb or keto diet and they never try it because people like you with limited and biased information tell them it is unhealthy and over-hyped. The fact that many in the medical field are just as uninformed as you doesn't change the fact that this way of eating works for many people and it is more healthy than feeding ourselves with foods we are unable to properly process. Do a little research on the side effects of uncontrolled Diabetes and tell me those are healthy for me.

:drinker: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I know Keto may have worked for some, but to me it sounds like just another fad diet. Keto severely slashes carbs...sometimes to fewer than 100g/day; that's not healthy nor sustainable.

Fads don't last 40 years. Less than 100 g of carbs per day is perfectly sustainable, and is perfectly healthy.

Meh, that may be. Still, 100g of carbs is equal to roughly 3 bananas. Cutting carbs that much will make you feel tired/moody all the time.

Odd. I eat 25g of carbs, or less a day. I wake at 4am, spend an hour (6 days a week) at the gym. I work no less than 10 hours a day, asleep by 8:30pm and I'm FINALLY sleeping all night. I have never felt better, I'm anything but tired/moody. Come to think of it..I was tired and moody before I was introduced to keto...

And my hair/skin looks fabulous! =)

Whoa...whoa...whoa....you only eat 25g of carbs/day? That's completely unhealthy...especially when supplemented with a lifestyle of bacon & chocolate. At 25g (or less) of carbs/day I don't know how anyone could function.
    ermagerd... Why does everyone always say this? Can you elaborate on why you think it is unhealthy? Most bacon is only unhealthy because of the added nitrates and crap. If you're smart about what kind of bacon you buy, it's perfectly fine. And chocolate is generally not eaten on a keto diet (hello, sugar!), unless you have very dark chocolate (think 70% or higher). Dark chocolate is actually pretty good for you in moderation!

If you're thinking about it being unhealthy on a micronutrients level, can a person on a keto diet not get all of their micronutrient needs through other non-carby foods like vegetables? Lots of veggies have the same micronutrients that fruit has, without all the unnecessary sugars.

The people that I've know who've tried to follow low carb fad diets ALWAYS supplemented their lack of carbs by eating "healthy" (read: low carb) foods like bacon. They would eat copious amounts of high-fat, cholesterol-laden foods "because they can". Eventually, they got the point where low carb was no longer sustainable...once they got off the low carb train the weight came back with a fury.

Low carb diets are the latest diet craze because they produce quick results (mostly water weight) but participants are encouraged to eat unhealthy, high-fat foods. Rather than eat a healthy balance of all the macros your body needs, they severely (and unnecessarily) limit carbs to unsustainable levels. I mean, come, let's get real: are you really going to be able to eat only ~25g carbs/day every day for the rest of your life...NO.

A balanced approach to diet (noun) and fitness is necessary for long-term success

Well the low carb people I know, eat tons of vegetables, with tons of bacon, and tons of nuts, and tons of cheese.
    And when they were ready to go back to "normal" they didn't binge on carb-laden foods. They introduced carbs little by little increasing their carb intake at a moderate pace. And are MAINTAINING their weight loss through low-carbing.

And please tell me, who are you to tell me I can't eat this way the rest of my life? It's my life and I will chose to live it the way I want. It's been a year now, and that doesn't seem like a "fad" or "short-term diet"
    Eating lots of carbs makes me unhappy, eating a tiny bit of carbs makes me happy. I think I'm making the right choice.

A balanced keto diet approach, 65% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbs is another viable way to live, be happy, and lose tons of weight.

You can eat however you want. I just wish people would stop making carbs out to be the "the enemy" and realize that they are actually necessary for a well rounded diet.

I don't think you understand that excess carbohydrate is NOT healthy for those with certain metabolic disorders, such disorders that are increasingly rampant in the general population. With the exception of non-starch vegetables and some low GI berries, carbs ARE the enemy to some people - to their bodies, that is.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Fad diets are the bane of many would-be healthy people.

To this I also say, ain't that that truth.

Sadly, a low carb and/or ketogenic diet has become "fad" fodder for people looking for a quick fix to their unhealthy lifestyle. They read how people lose weight so quickly but fail to read the part about how those people are losing weight because they are finally eating foods that their body can actually process. Followed correctly, neither of these diets are unhealthy or fad. But, they aren't for everyone. We all need to listen to our bodies and figure out what works for us and all we can do is make recommendations to others based on "what works for me." People who jump on a diet fad bandwagon do so because they don't want to do the hard work necessary to find out what their body needs to be healthy. It is annoying and frustrating and it is what gives low carb naysayers their "data" of how unsustainable it is. If you look to people like Dana Carpender, Dr. Stephen Phinney and Dr. Jeff Volek, who have been on low carb or ketogenic "diets" for at least a decade, I am sure they would laugh at being told their diet is unsustainable.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You can eat however you want. I just wish people would stop making carbs out to be the "the enemy" and realize that they are actually necessary for a well rounded diet.

No, they are not.

The traditional Inuit diet was 99.9% animal derived. For millennia they lived on the fat and meat of marine mammals and fish. With the coming of the white man and his diet came obesity and diabetes. Moreover, the body can make the glucose it needs from protein and other non-carbohydrate sources... . gluconeogenesis. For me and others like me, being insulin resistant, carbs *are* the enemy.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    They read how people lose weight so quickly but fail to read the part about how those people are losing weight because they are finally eating foods that their body can actually process. Followed correctly, neither of these diets are unhealthy or fad. But, they aren't for everyone. We all need to listen to our bodies and figure out what works for us and all we can do is make recommendations to others based on "what works for me."

^ This.

Olympic strength trainer and coach Charles Poliquin once said that if you can eat pasta, eat it; if you can't, then don't eat it. He was recognizing that everyone is different, and no one diet fits all.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i started that way but i missed food and im loosing just the same on low calorie .. saying that i can get 1200 cals a day of pure crap and not loose a lb but eating the same calories now ( vegan) mostly veg and wholewheat foods i also make sure i drink 2liters of water or more and boom the weights coming off again x
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'd love some people to educate themselves at least a bit on newer info on the poison and dangers of so called healthy foods and the facts that good fats are such a benefit and that the whole cholestrol scaremongering had many mistakes especially re fat. Good fats are good, including good bacon; sugar and white flour are causing heart attacks and obesity! The mass producers of grains and sugar etc have had so much power and brainwashed us well!!

Ah, since you are so educated, can you tell me exactly how white flour and sugar are causing heart attacks and obesity?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I mean, come, let's get real: are you really going to be able to eat only ~25g carbs/day every day for the rest of your life...NO.

Uh, yes, if I want to actually live long enough to enjoy my life without kidney disease, heart disease, diabetic retinopathy, and glaucoma to name a few of the health risks associated with excessive blood glucose levels.

and again....:drinker: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Well, I am diabetic, and why anyone would want to voluntarily put their bodies into ketosis is beyond me.

I think you're confusing ketosis with ketoacidosis. Two VERY different things.

I stand corrected
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    This is my only advice:
    7bcf2021e1fcb993ddf6c746a11cbb8f.jpg
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i'm a long distance runner, been playing with ketosis for a week or so now, and have half-heartedly been doing some research about the affects on running - this stuck out to me and i will research the book it references...:

"Read Volek's new book on exercise performance. He offers the case studies of quite a few ultra-marathoners - folks who do 50, 100 mile runs - who live in ketosis just for the advantage of always have steady fuel during these very long endurance events."

ok. here's a link to the book on amazon, if any other endurance athletes out there are reading this thread and curious about operating in ketosis...:

http://amzn.com/0983490716
  • Mandino788
    Mandino788 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Wow! I didn't expect this to blow up like it did!

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I'm going to start this either Friday or Saturday (depending on when I go shopping) and stick with it for 2 weeks (I get paid bi-weekly) to see what happens.

Thanks again!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 50g carb/day keeps my cravings at bay but like a PP pointed out people who want to dabble in keto think they can just eat bacon and sausage all day long and no veggies or fruit. I'm eating more fruits and veggies now than I was on my SAD... I'm eating way more fat too. I feel wonderful and I have plenty of energy for my runs too. Okay, they're not that long but my body FEELS strong and capable. Try it, but I would give it more than 2 weeks personally. My first week was like coming off crack and was pretty miserable. I lose about 1lb/week of water weight lol. So far 18lbs worth of water!
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I know Keto may have worked for some, but to me it sounds like just another fad diet. Keto severely slashes carbs...sometimes to fewer than 100g/day; that's not healthy nor sustainable.

Fads don't last 40 years. Less than 100 g of carbs per day is perfectly sustainable, and is perfectly healthy.

Meh, that may be. Still, 100g of carbs is equal to roughly 3 bananas. Cutting carbs that much will make you feel tired/moody all the time.

Odd. I eat 25g of carbs, or less a day. I wake at 4am, spend an hour (6 days a week) at the gym. I work no less than 10 hours a day, asleep by 8:30pm and I'm FINALLY sleeping all night. I have never felt better, I'm anything but tired/moody. Come to think of it..I was tired and moody before I was introduced to keto...

And my hair/skin looks fabulous! =)

Whoa...whoa...whoa....you only eat 25g of carbs/day? That's completely unhealthy...especially when supplemented with a lifestyle of bacon & chocolate. At 25g (or less) of carbs/day I don't know how anyone could function.

Why is that unhealthy?

I function quite well, thanks. Amazingly well. My Doctor fully supports my choice. All my blood work is excellent. So is my blood pressure, not sure if that's related. I reckon' it isn't that unhealthy...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i'm a long distance runner, been playing with ketosis for a week or so now, and have half-heartedly been doing some research about the affects on running - this stuck out to me and i will research the book it references...:

"Read Volek's new book on exercise performance. He offers the case studies of quite a few ultra-marathoners - folks who do 50, 100 mile runs - who live in ketosis just for the advantage of always have steady fuel during these very long endurance events."

ok. here's a link to the book on amazon, if any other endurance athletes out there are reading this thread and curious about operating in ketosis...:

http://amzn.com/0983490716

Lol Volek and Phinney

http://anthonycolpo.com/tim-olson-another-low-carb-athlete-that-never-was/
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor. Save your money. Instead, spend that money on fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains. I actually asked my doctor about this last year. He said that it is actually not good for your body because it is not a permanent, lasting fix and that all the weight you lose on these diets will just come back because it is impossible to sustain this type of diet for long in the real world. There is truly only one way to lose weight and KEEP it OFF. Eat right, and exercise.

Agreed. I would also add "make room for the occasional treat". Cutting carbs is a diet fad that just won't die, and it can have dangerous side effects.

That said, you should not overload on carbs...you should eat a healthy amount as determined by your weight loss goals; only eating 25g carbs/day like the other poster claimed she did is just nuts.

If that is working for you, why are you here?