Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Keto?

Replies

• cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    I know Keto may have worked for some, but to me it sounds like just another fad diet. Keto severely slashes carbs...sometimes to fewer than 100g/day; that's not healthy nor sustainable.

Actually, Johns Hopkins has been prescribing a ketogenic diet for epileptic children for decades. It's not unhealthy, unsustainable or a fad. But, like any way of eating, it's not for everyone.

For me, as a Type 2 Diabetic, carbs of 100g or more a day is unhealthy and unsustainable. Yes, I have the lab results to prove it. After only two weeks on a ketogenic diet my A1C results improved dramatically.

There is no one way of eating the works for everyone. If you are carbohydrate intolerant, then a ketogenic diet can work for you and will actually make you feel much better than you are feeling now. Everyone that is carb intolerant has their own level of intolerance. Mine is pretty severe and a traditional low carb diet left me constantly craving sugar, but a ketogenic diet does not do this for me. I have no cravings and I feel 100% better than I have in 15 years.

It's not always easy to follow a ketogenic diet in this carb-laden world, but all it takes is dedication to knowing you are eating for your health. This is not just a weight loss diet for me, this is how I will have to eat for the rest of my life. But that sounds way better to me than insulin shots for the rest of my life so I can eat a few potato chips.

I like the cookbook from this website: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/ The recipes are easy and taste delicious.
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Any time I try the recommended www.reddit site for keto recipies etc I get "page does not exsist or some nonsense page. Any info? I've probably got all recipes anyway but always on the lookout for a new idea!
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Losing all those cravings for the awful processed junk and sugar we love is such freedom. Feeling so much healthier from eating much less white flour and sugar and junk and from eating good fats and greens is wonderful!!!!!!!

This is so TRUE, Ruthie. I love the freedom from lethargy, bloating and carb craving. I can focus on other things in my life and not my next carb fix.
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Do yourself a favor. Save your money. Instead, spend that money on fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains. I actually asked my doctor about this last year. He said that it is actually not good for your body because it is not a permanent, lasting fix and that all the weight you lose on these diets will just come back because it is impossible to sustain this type of diet for long in the real world. There is truly only one way to lose weight and KEEP it OFF. Eat right, and exercise.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Any time I try the recommended www.reddit site for keto recipies etc I get "page does not exsist or some nonsense page. Any info? I've probably got all recipes anyway but always on the lookout for a new idea!

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member

Try http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/ otherwise just go to reddit and search for keto.

I have been on a ketogenic diet for 5 weeks now - dropped 14lbs or so; I don't snack between meals because I'm not hungry; I don't think about food as much, and I feel great. I aim for 20gm carbs or less day and lately I have been cycling a bit, probably doing about 60-80 miles most weeks, so it's not a huge amount but it keeps me fit. I have noticed my lactate threshold seems lower; but when I get home after a 2 hr ride I am not hungry. On my normal carb-based diet I would be ravenous and stuff my face as soon as I got in the door.

Check out /r/ketogains on reddit for info from people who are performing at high levels on a ketogenic diet
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    I know Keto may have worked for some, but to me it sounds like just another fad diet. Keto severely slashes carbs...sometimes to fewer than 100g/day; that's not healthy nor sustainable.

Fads don't last 40 years. Less than 100 g of carbs per day is perfectly sustainable, and is perfectly healthy.

Meh, that may be. Still, 100g of carbs is equal to roughly 3 bananas. Cutting carbs that much will make you feel tired/moody all the time.

Odd. I eat 25g of carbs, or less a day. I wake at 4am, spend an hour (6 days a week) at the gym. I work no less than 10 hours a day, asleep by 8:30pm and I'm FINALLY sleeping all night. I have never felt better, I'm anything but tired/moody. Come to think of it..I was tired and moody before I was introduced to keto...

And my hair/skin looks fabulous! =)

Whoa...whoa...whoa....you only eat 25g of carbs/day? That's completely unhealthy...especially when supplemented with a lifestyle of bacon & chocolate. At 25g (or less) of carbs/day I don't know how anyone could function.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    do not do it...worst diet ever another fad crappo diet scam...trust me
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    dropped all my weight from 300 to 600 grams carbs a day:)
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member

This sounds a lot like me: I used to eat fast food every single day, pizza, fries, pasta etc, but as a recovering carb-aholic,

Knowing that you can go from just like me to keto is really inspiring :)

For me, it was very very very very hard to get into the whole low carb swing of things. I was eating McDonalds for breakfast, Wendy's for lunch, Domino's/Pizza Hut for dinner at my highest weight... And I would still be hungry at the end of the day after all that... :noway:
    Also, I kept "cheating" the first 3 weeks I tried to get into low carb, I know that's horrible, but it's true, I couldn't stop myself from going back and bingeing on the sugary, fatty, greasy, salty food. Especially the convenient, delicious fast food :ohwell: It's different for everyone, and for some it's easy, but it was just really really really hard for me.
    What I did, was that I finally I told myself to just try it, for two straight weeks, to be strong, and give this a REAL shot, no cheating, no carbs(or very low carb), quitting the fast food cold turkey.
    I threw out all my junk food, bread, pasta, and replaced it with cheese, meat, nuts, veggies etc.
    I made myself a vision board, posted quotes, posted goal photos, posted month to month goals, what would happen if I kept going and gained more weight, and what would happen if I lost the weight... Kind of my consequences/rewards.
    I planned out my meals, my snacks, my drinks and have been doing great since then :happy:
    I keep my snacks on hand at ALL times at work, at home, in my car, just in case I get cravings, and giving in is not an option.
    I STILL have to have my "meal plan" every single week or I'll slip up.

And, I found low-carb replacements for cookies, cake, pizza, fries, mashed potatoes, pasta etc.
    But now, I just don't crave those things anymore, I am genuinely happy with my normal low carb food choices now (usually meat, bacon, veggies, cheese).

I really do wish you all the success and luck in the world, this journey is a hard one, but one that is very rewarding and worth the effort. :drinker:
  • ruthiejewell
    Keto is obviosly not a scam in any way!! How could anyone believe that with all the info so available? It's simply a way of eating, particularly benificial to many diabetics and people with epilepsy .. who may not be using it for any weightloss whatsoever. Read the previous posts and info.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Do yourself a favor. Save your money. Instead, spend that money on fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains. I actually asked my doctor about this last year. He said that it is actually not good for your body because it is not a permanent, lasting fix and that all the weight you lose on these diets will just come back because it is impossible to sustain this type of diet for long in the real world. There is truly only one way to lose weight and KEEP it OFF. Eat right, and exercise.

Agreed. I would also add "make room for the occasional treat". Cutting carbs is a diet fad that just won't die, and it can have dangerous side effects.

That said, you should not overload on carbs...you should eat a healthy amount as determined by your weight loss goals; only eating 25g carbs/day like the other poster claimed she did is just nuts.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    Dropped my 41 pounds from the Keto diet plan and STILL dropping...
    My boyfriend has lost 61 pounds from Keto diet plan and STILL dropping... (he's been on it about 6 months longer than I have and has less to lose)

All from under 25grams of carbs a day.
  • Dree3
    Dree3 Posts: 54 Member
    I've been living a keto lifestyle for a year now, and I'll never go back to carbs. You can still have some fruit in moderation, as long as you stay under your carb limits. I've never experienced any of the lethargy and fuzzy head stuff people talk about; I think it's just a matter of getting the right nutrients (and supplements for where you're lacking). I'd recommend this lifestyle to anyone and everyone.
  • ruthiejewell
    Those who follow a keto diet have never argued that this is the only way to lose weight! Calorie control of course will do it. Keto makes us feel healthier, stops those cravings and helps us sleep, among many other benefits. Of course people will lose weight other ways, even eating 100% junk if the calories are correct!
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    pictures of 2 different servings of 30 grams of carbs here:
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/thirty-grams-of-carbs-in-two-ways

I know which serving I'd rather have.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    In...

...to read later.
  • goodformgirl
    goodformgirl Posts: 4 Member
    I've been in Ketosis since last Wednesday. The only time I felt tired was the few hours as my body switched over. I feel exactly the same as before now. My body will fully convert to using ketones over the next 2 weeks.

Bear in mind though that for a "fat loss diet", ketosis is not necessary. Just having low carbs is fine. That's a quote from the man that designed the Ketogenic Diet.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

You will go into PISS (Post Induction Stall Syndrome) and your weight may stall after your first weight loss of water. Remember to drink full-sodium chicken broth to help with the headaches!
  • JessicaOnKeto
    Those who follow a keto diet have never argued that this is the only way to lose weight! Calorie control of course will do it. Keto makes us feel healthier, stops those cravings and helps us sleep, among many other benefits. Of course people will lose weight other ways, even eating 100% junk if the calories are correct!

QFT
  • ruthiejewell
    Thanks for reddit info. I'm suspicious now as it threw up so many strange pages and won't let me search unless I register. Am I being paranoid??!!