WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2013

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    This is a question about the strength training logged in. I don't know if what I did was nominal enough it didn't give me any calories burned or it just do it at all for any of the strength training. I hope that when I am able to do quite a bit that I will be able to log in some calories burned.

:flowerforyou: When I first started strength training I wore my heart rate monitor and found out how many calories I burned during my workout....that allowed my to compute a calories per minute figure to use on my own strength training entry so now that I don't wear a heart rate monitor I can use that to enter my workout under cardio....I called my entry "at home weight training" and it automatically computes how many calories based on how long I spent with my workout.

:bigsmile: BJ, congrats on the new miracle grandchild.

:bigsmile: our household has officially "broken up with cheese" when I finished the last serving of feta on my eggs and veggies yesterday.......Jake stopped eating cheese a few days ago and this morning he said that this was the first day he has awakened without a craving for cheese.

:cry: it has been raining all night and continued this morning....it didn't make much of a difference in the two hour dog walk, but there won't be any yard work going on.....I'll use the time to go to Costco with Jake and work on the dances for the Friday line dance class.

:bigsmile: DWTS was awesome last night ...I can hardly wait to see the results.

:heart: Barbie from drippy NW Washington
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Just a quick pop on......saw Dr. this am (after about 4hrs. sleep)........had very carefully kept the tick packaged as instructed by various web sites and took it along, also as instructed online. Saw one of the guys I regard as one of the better Drs; it's a huge fairly well-respected practice. He didn't even look at it!!!! Didn't look at the site it was removed from either!!!! Said he wouldn't know who to refer me to who has a speciality in anything to do with tick-bourne diseases!!! Said he wouldn't know where to begin finding a place to get it analyzed for disease and insurance wouldn't cover it and it would cost thousands if I did. At this point I'm wondering just what it is he does know????????? He called in a script for Doxy. I did pick them up but I don't want to medicate unless necessary and I'm SOOOOO frustrated at this point!!!! IF it's a dog tick nymph, there's no danger, IF it's a deer tick nymph, there's a 20% chance it's carrying Lyme. We all have heard about the overuse of antibiotics.............and still, drs. hand them out like candy. I think I've lost perspective here---Is it just me, really???----I'll probably just take them like a good little sheep/patient. I'm so just plain disgusted, getting informed and trying to be proactive in your own care just isn't cost-effective, apparently(!!!).....and, may I add, I do have decent insurance, a PPO which is paid dearly for every month. This was not supposed to turn into a rant, sorry. Believe it or not, I usually do go through life sailing calmly along; there's just been too much STUFF in the past couple weeks......

Fingers crossed for everyone here and their friends and family affected by the tornado.

Very Angry yanniejannie........mid-Atlantic where storms (of all kinds) are likely today
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Just a quick post to say hi. i read all the posts, but with a household of company, no time to respond to all. Congrats to all who are celebrating and big hugs to those who are hurting or frustrated.

I met with the director of nursing, director of restorative care, and the charge nurse at the nursing home yesterday. They were clearly expecting me to show up and all dropped what they were doing to meet together. They had already reported the fracture to the state (legal requirement) and the state will be investigating in addition to their own investigation. We tried to re-enact the incident as it was reported but we all agreed the fracture probably did not happen that way. They all know my background so no one is trying to BS me and I trust they will try to resolve the issue. I still like the nursing home; accidents do happen, and if the incident can be resolved i will be satisfied. I looked them up on the state website and they have no formal complaints against them or any state sanctions. We are there nearly every single day and have always been impressed with the care, but I think they are terrified we'll sue them.

Dad says when sitting on the side of the bed he started to fall and the aid pushed him in his chest to get him back in bed; this might have been the cause if it was hard enough. Knowing my dad, if he was hurt, he wouldn't have said anything, he's a "tough guy". So I'm keeping my eye out, I'm going to investigate the manufacturer of the easy stand lift to see if other injuries have occured on it, and I'll wait for the investigations to be done.

OK that's it for me. Take care, Meg
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Just a quick pop on......saw Dr. this am (after about 4hrs. sleep)........had very carefully kept the tick packaged as instructed by various web sites and took it along, also as instructed online. Saw one of the guys I regard as one of the better Drs; it's a huge fairly well-respected practice. He didn't even look at it!!!! Didn't look at the site it was removed from either!!!! Said he wouldn't know who to refer me to who has a speciality in anything to do with tick-bourne diseases!!! Said he wouldn't know where to begin finding a place to get it analyzed for disease and insurance wouldn't cover it and it would cost thousands if I did. At this point I'm wondering just what it is he does know????????? He called in a script for Doxy. I did pick them up but I don't want to medicate unless necessary and I'm SOOOOO frustrated at this point!!!! IF it's a dog tick nymph, there's no danger, IF it's a deer tick nymph, there's a 20% chance it's carrying Lyme. We all have heard about the overuse of antibiotics.............and still, drs. hand them out like candy. I think I've lost perspective here---Is it just me, really???----I'll probably just take them like a good little sheep/patient. I'm so just plain disgusted, getting informed and trying to be proactive in your own care just isn't cost-effective, apparently(!!!).....and, may I add, I do have decent insurance, a PPO which is paid dearly for every month. This was not supposed to turn into a rant, sorry. Believe it or not, I usually do go through life sailing calmly along; there's just been too much STUFF in the past couple weeks......

Fingers crossed for everyone here and their friends and family affected by the tornado.

Very Angry yanniejannie........mid-Atlantic where storms (of all kinds) are likely today
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Oooppps, one of those replies with the quote done separately.

Here is a Lyme disease suffers association which seems to discuss failures of existing tests, and some other things...
    anything that helps! Good luck, I know how that worry feels from my field trips as a consultant to many of these areas.... and came out of the fields with ticks on my clothes!

This post seems to point back to US docs, saying Can docs are hogtied by the system...http://thelymemaze.blogspot.ca/p/find-lyme-literate-doctor.html I think it will be useful to you.

http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/2211123-lyme-disease-patients-at-risk-in-ontario/ is from a woman in Brantford Ontario...and she obviously knows who the Lyme literate docs are...

BJ, in the heart of SWO!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    OUCH:frown: :grumble: I am sore today. I didn't think that the 3 reps of 10, one of 5 pounds and the other with 10 would make me this sore today. But I HURT!!!! Plus the belly doesn't feel good this morning. I know I have too eat something, for my diabetes and for my health but I just don't want to. I think I'll go in and grab me some yogurt.. I have my water beside me as always.

Joyce, sore in Indiana
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Well I’m way behind on all these posts again :noway: . I’m just starting from p. 8 and will try to catch up from there.

Work is really slow right now, but I’m enjoying the summer like weather with my DD :bigsmile: :glasses: . Her internship doesn’t start until next week so she has some time right now for friends and family. My DH will be home soon and the 3 of us are planning a bike ride. I think riding again has really spurred my weight loss. I’m now slightly under my goal (unbelievable!!!). :laugh: Being sick over the weekend and then some dental work yesterday has depressed my food intake. My mouth is still sore today but I’m trying to eat a bit more. I’m just hoping that I stick around this weight.

Barbie – thanks for the advice. :flowerforyou: I’m going to try and add those extra 50 calories in per day hopefully tomorrow as I’m confident I should feel more like myself again and will be wanting to eat.

YannieJannie – condolences on the loss of your cousin:brokenheart:

Yardtigress – congrats on the weight loss. :drinker: I’ve been lugging pots and plants too. They look so tiny right now, but I’m hopefully we’ll have a bountiful harvest this year. I’m trying heirlooms for the first time – hope they are hardy enough for these Chicago summers.

Mimi/SMVQ – happy b-day…like Cheryl I can’t respond like I used to with so many on here, but I like to try and read through the posts when I can, reply if only a quick note and individualy when I can. I do miss this thread when I haven’t been on it for a few days.:happy:

Cityjane – my DH and I are equally obsessed…when the topic of weight loss comes up we can go on forever. However, we have had 3 people also join MFP as a result and all of them are so happy losing and getting healthier… so I don’t feel so bad about going on and on anymore.:wink:

Carol in WNY – good luck breaking that plateau…I know how frustrating it can be. ..hoping the shake up gets things moving for you again.:drinker:

Lila – hope your back is feeling better:sick:

DeeDee – if Jb doesn’t give you a garden for bathroom cleaning I will. Like jb I love to putter with the plants and hate to clean inside. I’ve still got cleaning on my ToDo list – somehow I never get to it????:laugh:

Michelle – I measure everything as well. That kitchen scale was such a good investment!:bigsmile:

Debiann – welcome back and early happy b-day..so glad you are back and recommitted to you:drinker:

Kathy – Seriously is right. How hard is cereal??? I’m so glad my DH finally decided it was time to get healthy this year. He is 56 and on blood pressure and cholesterol medicine. What finally triggered some action on his part was seeing some vacation photos – I don’t think he had realized until that time just what that number on the scale meant in his body. It has been so nice partnering up with him on this (prior it was so tough – pie night, going out, Fannie Mae, ughhh!). It sounds like your DH is starting to get it. I really hope he does.:grumble:

BJ – congrats on your new DGD:heart::heart: :heart:

Meg – I missed your original post about your dad. I hope that he is okay and that he is going to remain safe

Joyce – hope you are feeling better soon:sick:

Sending prayers out to OK – so much destruction and loss

Well I made it through the last several pages of posts…whewwww. Everyone have a wonderful evening. Jodios :smile: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :bigsmile:
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Kathy-whenever my DH starts to eat something he's not supposed too(he's a heart patient) I remind him to up his life insurance so me and my next husband can have a good time. Lol. He gets the hint.

Connie- I'm a member of the Augusta gem and mineral society.

Just stopping by to say hi.
  • colograndma
    colograndma Posts: 67
    Options
    Good Evening!

Here I am at the end of the day finally catching up on things... and I have had another day "off". :laugh:

Our Son in law came over to help DH cementing the 2nd raised bed veggie garden, and DD came too, They apparently had been fighting... so spent the morning talking with her. They are not really married but have been together for 5 years. Kills me to see my kids hurting. Then I had to run to a business meeting at work and just got home. Did get the snap dragons planed early this moring, they will look great where they are.

I had a ball at the Intarsia class last night, and am making a piece with some of my favorite stones... I will post it on my profile pic sometime.

Thanks everyone for Praying for our family in OK, so thankful they are all ok.

Michele- your Pergola furniture sound great. You will enjoy it this summer I am sure!:smile:

Kathy- Your flooding sounded terrible, glad insurance covered it then. I used to be an insurance agent, and can not imagine the mountain of work all the companies will have now in OK. Re: DH, are you sure he and my DH are not twins? This new house is 1/2 mile from Daylight Donuts, and a grocery store... Donuts are his breakfast of Champions, and he is a smoker too. Gotta Love them, all we can do is some day they will see the light.

YannieJannie- You have a right to be angry. Trust me I work @ a hospital, and this type of stuff happens all the time. :angry: Gone is the day of Old fashioned Dr's that do everything. Kinda sad really.

Yardtigress- whoo Hoo a fellow Rockhound! You will probably be the only one to understand that it took alot longer to move DH's rock shop than it did the house.... DH only has about 4 ton of rock and tons of equipment.:laugh: But I love making jewelry too so I cannot complain :bigsmile:

:heart: Hugs, Connie
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My heart is heavy and breaks for the people in Oklahoma, I can only send prayers to all effected. I will never understand tragic events such as this.:cry:

Well I was not a winner of the Powerball…. Lol… Yep…still working like a good lil’ girl! Got home around 7pm ate my salad logged my food read the posts and hoping to call it a day very soon! :yawn:

Michele, I am so happy for you and your new outdoor space, which sounds like it is progressing right along!
    I mustThank you for the congrats :happy:

DeeDee, Congratulations on your one year anniversary ! You Rock!
    P.S. and indeed I will pop in when I can…:laugh:

Sasha, sounds like a lovely way to celebrate Victoria Day, time spent in the garden is always well spent.:flowerforyou:

BJ, Congratulations on the birth of your precious Granddaughter!:heart:

Yanniejannie, My goodness how terribly frustrating for you! I would consider getting a second opinion! Don’t worry about the rant….it is good to vent, I also would be furious!:wink:

Meg, I some how missed something; but It sounds like it was with your Father, I hope you resolve the issues and that he is ok.:blushing:

Jodios, Love, Love, Love the “Family bike ride” How awesome! :smokin:
    I do Thank you for the good luck wishes…. We shall see what the shake up does. Lol :laugh:

Yardtigress, LOL… I got quite the chuckle from the post about the life insurance!:laugh:

Connie, I love the raised bed made from blocks! Most people use wood, but I think the blocks are way cool, as blocks won’t rot over time!:glasses:

Well I must call it a day! I was going to go to bed early….so much for that….but I am caught up with all the posts…hee hee!
    Good night to all of you from all of me!
    Peace~N~ Hugs
    Carol in WNY
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    where does the time go? :bigsmile:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Pretty busy day today. Went to the Y and did an hour of spinning, came home and Vince wanted to work outside, so we put down some more river rock. Worked from 10 until 2, then I went into the pool. It was 81 degrees. I needed to come in first and just take a quick shower to get the red clay off my legs. I was in such a rush to get into that pool, that I totally forgot to take off my glasses. So there I was in the shower with my glasses on....lol But the water was nice, I scrubbed the tiles. Now I know that I scrubbed them on top (I leaned over the wall and got down as far as I could) but today there were these black streaks. That seems to happen when it rains. Fortunately, they do scrub off. I hope that this doesn't continue, what a pain it'll be to have to scrub after every rainstorm.

Had to go to WalMart to get this pinwheel tray that I'd ordered. I found out that it's actually less expensive to buy them prepackaged. 24 pinwheels in a tray would have been $18. By buying them in the package it would have been $12. It's amazing, I asked why the difference in price and I had to explain to them how I arrived at the price (4 packages of 6 @ $3 each would be $12). Finally, they said that I should go to the customer service desk and just tell them that the tray wasn't to my liking and get a refund. I didn't have to give a reason, but they did refund my money and I just bought them individually. Isn't that weird?

We had Rummikub here tonight. At the next board meeting I am going to recommend we add it. I don't forsee the board turning it down. We'll have it in different member's homes, the host will provide a dessert and be responsible for an entree (subs that we can cut up, these pinwheels, whatever)

Connie - so glad to hear all are safe in OK

Found out that the spin bikes at the Y were donated by one of the Cardiology groups here. What awesome advertising for them!

Tomorrow I'll do yoga and the deep water class, then we have senior bowling. I'm supposed to go to mahjongg tomorrow night, but depending on the weather will depend if I go. As long as it isn't rainy, Vince and I just may work some more on the landscaping. Right now we're about to start working on the hard part of where the river rock will go. There is a pretty steep incline on one side of the steps and that needs to be river rocked. I'd rather work in short bursts rather than for hours and hours, I'm thinking that Vince is starting to do this, too. Normally, he would be the person who would put things off and then do everything all at once. I'm the type of person who will do a little one day, a little the next, until the job is done.

Debi - happy early birthday!

Kathy - Vince is the same way as your dh. He would rather take a pill than change his lifestyle. His feeling is "I eat bacon so that my cholesterol med has something to do" Vince is fond of saying that I'll be mad when I die before he does and I'm the healthy eater.

cityjane - have a great time in Cornwall

bj - congrats grandma!!!!

yanniejannie - I'd be upset, too at the MD. But, like you, I'd probably just go along, at least at first

Meg - it's great that your dad has you by his side. You're right, accidents DO happen.

yardigress - lol... life insurance!!!!!

Gotta get to bed, but first need to empty the dishwasher.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    BJ: I’m so happy your nieces are safe. Congratulations on the birth of your new granddaughter.:bigsmile:

Barbie: I’m wondering about the breakup with cheese. What was the final culprit? Calories, fat, or sodium? :huh:

Yanniejannie: You have good reasons to be angry. :mad: What a frustrating experience. I’d be mad, too. Doctors in your area should be aware of the tick threat and have a plan to deal with it.:flowerforyou:

Meg: I’m glad you’re being so proactive on your dad’s behalf. It is a blessing that you have a medical background and expertise so you can evaluate the situation realistically.:flowerforyou:

Yoga this morning was so good. We did strength training and I hope we do it again regularly. :bigsmile: I managed to get in for a haircut, too. The barber I use is very skilled and I was the first cut of the day. Other than that, I haven’t accomplished one tiny thing. :noway: I like to be productive and today didn’t meet that goal. :tongue:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options

Barbie: I’m wondering about the breakup with cheese. What was the final culprit? Calories, fat, or sodium? :huh:

Katla in NW Oregon

:laugh: cheese has so many strikes against it (fat, sodium, calories) along with setting up the craving for more.....who ever eats just a single slice????not me:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • colograndma
    colograndma Posts: 67
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

For those of you that wanted to see our little jungle, I posted new pictures in our Blogger Blog. maandpastrunk.blogspot.com

Night to all!

Praying for Oklahoma... casualty count has come down...Thankfully.

Hugs to all
    :heart: Connie
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Hi wonderful ladies!

Been absent from posting for ages - no excuses just like us all a busy enjoyable life that gets in the way!

I am loving the longer daylight days - so nice to go for long walks in the evening too!

Last Sunday took three of our GC for a nature walk - it was such a lovely time. Armed with a bird book, wild flower book, binoculors and a small picnic we ambled through a local nature reserve. DG aged 1 was beside himself to see the ducks and the swans on the lagoon. We sat on the beach and the two girls explored a sand dune building and digging - while DG found out amongst other things how difficult it was to walk on soft sand and that it wasn't nice to eat! They pronounced to their parents that it was the best place ever! It's funny that we haven't taken them before as it is very near us. It is managed by the company my husband works for - in fact my husband undertakes much of it. Last year I undertook some conservation work there - but prior to that he had not thought to mention how lovely it was! Men! It's one of the best kept secrets of the area. I think it's just a little too close too where he spends his working days! But it's not now- taken quite a few people there!!!

I was so saddened to hear about the dreadful events of the tornado, my heart goes out to all those affected.

Caught up briefly on the posts - you are all working so hard to reach your goals and congratulations to those who have reached them .

My maintenance continues at a steady pace and I continue to add calories to find my maximum. Some days I struggle to reach it - I so enjoy my healthy recipes that I no longer crave the calorie dense foods that add nothing to my healthy life style.

Weight training is steady and the visual progress slow - want to feel confident in sleeveless clothes!! But I can be patient and persevere.

So off to start another day - thankful of all of my blessings and prepared to make the most if it.

Keep smiling
    Jo
    UK WALES
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am taking the pills....... needed or not. Better safe than sorry and all that......but it still irks me no end.

BJ........thanks so much for the info; couldn't get the first link to work; but the second was very interesting.....one thing the dr. did tell me is that even with the Western Blot, the patient has to sign a wavier stating that they know that the results are not necessarily correct. (?!)........congrats and best of everything life has to offer to the new grandchild.......BTW, I keep forgetting to tell you, one of my 2nd cousins lives in your neck of the woods, on Lake Rideau; it started as a family summer home and she's always loved it up there, so, after marrying a Canadian, they bought out the rest of her family, did major renovations, and live there year round.

Meg.......if you are generally happy with the nursing home, it must be a good one...were there any deficiencies on the annual state inspection? Does your state do that? I know we do here in the east.......continued hopes for your dad's fast recovery and a resolution of the incident.

jodios..........BELOW goal????? How fantastic!

Carol WNY..........good luck breaking your plateau

Connie.........been following your raised bed progress; for some reason, I didn't realize you were actually cementing the blocks. Will check our your blog later.

Have to run, newspaper is .
    here, then taking my car to the garage

Great days for everyone,
    yanniejannie
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Bj :smile: congratulations on your new granddaughter:love::flowerforyou: !

Yanniejannie :smile: I don`t blame you the least for being mad at the Dr.:angry: ! I think I would have gone ahead with the antibiotics too! Like you, better safe than sorry!!!

Jo :smile: Sounds like a wonderful time in a wonderful place with your grandchildren:flowerforyou: ! I did get a little chuckle out of the sand not tasting very good:laugh: .

I have an appt. at the dentist this afternoon for my crown, I`m not looking forward to it, I`ll be in the office about 2 1/2 hours or more:grumble: , they make the crown while you wait, while that is nice it also makes for a long time sitting still, I don`t sit still very often, I`m always on the move. Plus I`ll have to watch my water intake this morning, I`m not sure the dentist would be happy with me having to go potty while he`s trying to work:laugh: . Ah well, it will be good to get it done!
    I just heard there was a shooting in Orlando FL between an FBI agent and a guy who knew the Boston bombers, my kids are on the way to Disney as I type this, they left last night on a train, geez it`s a little scary!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC where hopefully the sun will be bright today:glasses:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,343 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I feel so tired this morning - visitors do that to me. We lead such a quiet life normally that all the socializing and excitement wears me out. I don't know how I'm going to summon up the energy to get the garden tidied and all the packing ready for Cornwall. DH has got cricket tomorrow so we will have to do the garden today. We've got geraniums to get in and masses of weeding as well as stuff to pick. Just the thought makes me feel weary, but I expect once we get started after lunch it won't take that long.
    I did manage my gymming this morning and I've been into our little town to shop for a few bits and to take a skirt to the tailors to get it taken in! :flowerforyou:
    Oh well, must go out and pick some radishes. The first of the spring this year. If I can get myself off this couch! :laugh: :wink:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,795 Member
    Options
    well I went to the gym this morning, I just wasn't feeling it this morning, tried a little of this and that. was going to post last night and my husband shut the modem off,trying to conserve electricity:happy:
    gained a couple of lbs how I dont know, because I am eating under my calories,dont know.. sodium,I am drinking alot of water...
    had a rain shower here this morning so dont know if the lawn will dry out before I go to work so that I can mow the lawn:frown: