HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Syneea wrote: »
    This was probably a couple months ago. Maybe May? Anyway, I have gone up in clothing sizes, but my waist is still 29" and my weight is staying pretty consistent. I have very mixed feelings about what lifting has done to and for my body. My husband is loving the #squatbooty and I'm in love with my shoulders, as long as I don't have to try to fit them in sleeves. :lol:

g1t5ennlzk8v.jpg

Your arms and shoulders look great! Do you care to share your mixed feelings? :-)

Sure! Thanks! My shoulders have always been big so they are definitely where I've made the most progress!

I never really had issues finding or fitting into clothes before I started lifting. Now, it's really difficult to find clothes (tops and pants) that fit correctly without being either so tight I can't move (I'm looking at you, Calvin Klein dress) or so baggy that it looks like I'm wearing my husband's clothes. I've outgrown most of my pants this year, and some of them I only got to wear once or twice because I just bought them.

On the complete other hand, it's awesome to look in the mirror and SEE all the hard work I've put in over the last year be right there in front (and behind :smirk:) me, and to have people notice and comment on how strong I look. Hand down, I would rather someone say I look strong/fit than that I look pretty.

A super big bonus of lifting is how well I fill out pants now and the fact that my husband of 16+ years can't keep his hand of me. :blush:

Here is another bonus: you can wear sleeveless dresses and tops and look absolutely awesome.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    dpaden25 wrote: »
    Question for all you lovelies! I did download the app 5X5 and it really seems so minimal in terms of exercise. In the beginning, did you all start with just bar? How many calories? Sub with cardio? How long did a typical workout lasts? TIA for all my questions! Sorry if it's answered somewhere else!

I started lifting with the bar, except for deadlifts. I think I probably trained form around 65+ pounds, making sure to have the bar raised off the ground to the height it would be if there were 45s or bumper plates on.

The thing about 5x5 training is it looks easy on paper, but it's not that easy. In fact, 5x5 training for intermediate to advanced trainers is extremely difficult, because you get to a point where you can't add weight every workout like that. That's why it's a great beginners workout.

That workout as a beginner might take me 45 min. An hour tops. You can do some cardio. I don't. Your calories will depend on how much weight you have to lose and how much of a deficit you can get away with while still recovering and meeting your maco and micronutrient needs.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Syneea wrote: »
    This was probably a couple months ago. Maybe May? Anyway, I have gone up in clothing sizes, but my waist is still 29" and my weight is staying pretty consistent. I have very mixed feelings about what lifting has done to and for my body. My husband is loving the #squatbooty and I'm in love with my shoulders, as long as I don't have to try to fit them in sleeves. :lol:

g1t5ennlzk8v.jpg

Your arms and shoulders look great! Do you care to share your mixed feelings? :-)

Sure! Thanks! My shoulders have always been big so they are definitely where I've made the most progress!

I never really had issues finding or fitting into clothes before I started lifting. Now, it's really difficult to find clothes (tops and pants) that fit correctly without being either so tight I can't move (I'm looking at you, Calvin Klein dress) or so baggy that it looks like I'm wearing my husband's clothes. I've outgrown most of my pants this year, and some of them I only got to wear once or twice because I just bought them.

On the complete other hand, it's awesome to look in the mirror and SEE all the hard work I've put in over the last year be right there in front (and behind :smirk:) me, and to have people notice and comment on how strong I look. Hand down, I would rather someone say I look strong/fit than that I look pretty.

A super big bonus of lifting is how well I fill out pants now and the fact that my husband of 16+ years can't keep his hand of me. :blush:

Here is another bonus: you can wear sleeveless dresses and tops and look absolutely awesome.

And I DO! :mrgreen:
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Incredible! And I like your message for the ladies about not to be afraid of lifting heavy weights.
  • memathmfp
    memathmfp Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Since starting to lift in April, I've cut back on the number and length of my runs (though I still run 20ish miles a week bc I enjoy it). An unexpected but very welcome byproduct of my new routine is a major increase in speed. I used to hang out around a 9:45-10 minute mile. It has been steadily decreasing and today I ran 4 miles with an average 8:07 min/mile. Even had a 7:48 mile in there! I'm totally floored, I never thought I could run that fast--and I'm still upping my weights.

Thought I'd share to encourage those who have a hard time letting go of some cardio--spending the time lifting will help your performance more than you expect!

That is really good to know! Thanks for sharing!
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    BUMP *Inspiring ladies everywhere to pick up heavy *kitten*
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • afort001
    afort001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I really love this bc my fiancé is always like just do cardio, you will bulk up . I'm like shuddup! You look awesome
  • mmdolly56
    mmdolly56 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So did the extra exercise also turn your hair black? Just doesn't seem like the same people in the before and after pics.
  • arditarose
    Options
    mmdolly56 wrote: »
    So did the extra exercise also turn your hair black? Just doesn't seem like the same people in the before and after pics.

Who are you talking to?
  • unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Before, a few months prior to heavy lifting:

Tcu7zpP.jpg

170 lbs. Size 12 dress. Approximately 30% BF.
    Waist = 33 inches
    Hips = 41 inches
    Under bust = 38 inches
    Thighs = 23 inches
    Arms = 13 inches

Now, 5 months after starting a progressive loading heavy lifting program:

ySQwmSK.jpg

151.8 lbs. Size 4 dress. Approximately 20% BF.
    Waist = 27 inches
    Hips = 36.5 inches
    Under bust = 31 inches
    Thighs = 21.5 inches
    Arms = 11 inches

17.2 lbs lost. 4 sizes lost. Approximately 10% BF lost. 21 inches (and counting) lost.

Still think heavy lifting will make you "bulky?" Think again.

Heavy lifting ladies, I invite you to post YOUR before and after pics. Maybe, just maybe, we can attempt to snuff out this, "WEIGHT LIFTING WILL MAKE ME HYOOOOGE" myth.

Goals. Congratulations on bulking :wink:
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Who are you talking trolling to?

ETA: @arditarose You look amazing!

Muah! Thank you :)
  • NanP135
    NanP135 Posts: 219 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Love doing heavy lifting. lost another 4 1/2 inches with strong lift program last month and looking forward to more loss.
  • arditarose
    Options

Who are you talking to?

My guess is she's talking to OP, who I can see in her original photo does appear to have lighter hair. . .and who apparently has chosen to fool us all and certainly could NOT have just, you know, colored her hair.

Derp.

I've had 4 different hair colors since I started lifting/using this app.
  • arditarose
    Options
    memathmfp wrote: »
    Just finished week 5 of SL and I'm down 5.2lbs, down 15 inches, and down 5% BF! Wowza! Just blown away by these results!

Nice! Enjoy and keep it up :)
  • memathmfp
    memathmfp Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Nice! Enjoy and keep it up :)

Thanks! It's kind of addictive and the results just make it more so. :smiley:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!