HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

You are my hero[/quote]

Thank you! :smiley:

• diverjent
    diverjent Posts: 6 Member
    Options

@arditarose I'm 5'3", 47 years old. I'm not new to lifting. About 8-9 years ago I lost 96 lbs also doing lifting. Sadly ended up gaining it all back for various reasons. I've tried using trainers in the past with bad results so this time it's all me. If I'm going to try something new I just read up on it and/or watch a bunch of YouTube videos on form.

Thank you for sharing your experience with lifting. You look absolutely great!! I need to start!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch thank you!

@arditarose I'm 5'3", 47 years old. I'm not new to lifting. About 8-9 years ago I lost 96 lbs also doing lifting. Sadly ended up gaining it all back for various reasons. I've tried using trainers in the past with bad results so this time it's all me. If I'm going to try something new I just read up on it and/or watch a bunch of YouTube videos on form.

I should specify I didn't hurt my arm lifting. I actually got tennis elbow while playing tennis! :neutral:

Thank you for answering! You look great.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I really want to start soon. I have a lot of weight to lose, 80lbs or so. I am unfamiliar with the weight room in the gym. Thinking of starting SL 5x5 or strong curves. I am a definite pear shape and want to shape my backside, but not lose it. Anyone have an opinion or advice? Also, what about calories? should i start at maintenance? small deficit?
  • slimcharm20
    slimcharm20 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Same here @jasperdog52554 just trying to figure it all out! Good Luck!
  • slimcharm20
    Options
    @jessiefrancine your post wasn't for me.. but was very helpful, thank you!
  • jasperdog52554
    Options
    I really want to start soon. I have a lot of weight to lose, 80lbs or so. I am unfamiliar with the weight room in the gym. Thinking of starting SL 5x5 or strong curves. I am a definite pear shape and want to shape my backside, but not lose it. Anyone have an opinion or advice? Also, what about calories? should i start at maintenance? small deficit?

I have done both programs and my recommendation would be to start at SL 5x5 because there are fewer exercises to learn, and the ones you do learn give you great fundamentals for the variety that you find in Strong Curves. But either would be a good beginner program. If you do decide on SC, I would invest in the book--it's not expensive and there's some good detail in there. The SL program is available for free on pdf.

If you have 80 pounds to lose, you should continue to eat at a small deficit.

Thank you! That's what I was thinking too. Maybe I can get the hubs to do it with me. Although it would be funny to see him doing hip thrusts in the weight room! :p dying to know, how did your butt turnout after SC?

@jessiefrancine thank you!

@slimcharm20 I think we got some good advice today! Good luck <3
  • jasperdog52554
    Options
    @amyrebeccah that would be awesome
  • slimcharm20
    Options
    @jasperdog52554 Yes, thank you for asking the great question! :)
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Going to give this thread a bump because it deserves more love!
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    sophiemama wrote: »
    I've been reading this thread for years now. I check back in ever now and then to see who has posted an awesome picture. I'm not new to MFP but I am new to lifting. I've lost 40lbs with cardio, which I am incredibly proud of. It was hard work. But I'm a little squisher than I prefer. I've been lifting heavy for about a month now. My weight has stayed pretty much the same but I've lost 3.5 inches all together!! Lifting is so empowering. I'm the mother of two small children so finding time between naps and diaper changes is a challenge for me. With lifting I feel like I can accomplish more in a short amout of time compared to cardio. I think it's important to show the earlier stages of progress too. So I thought I would share. I obviously have work to do but I'm so excited! xt4o4mnste2l.png

Fabulous start! I can definitely see a difference!
  • batoolnabulsi
    batoolnabulsi Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I wanna bulk too
  • batoolnabulsi
    batoolnabulsi Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Awesome
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    @JenHuedy wow! Fabulous!!
  • memathmfp
    memathmfp Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @JenHuedy nicely done! I'm just starting my 5x5 journey after losing 65lbs. You give me hope that I might one day look that good!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!