HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I rolled, it rolled!! Yay!
    Let's get back on track people. Threads like this make me wish i would've taken more (SFW) before pictures.

Before lifting(posting these scares the **** out of me, but here we go):
    1mkjQYnl.jpg
    77c564ad-6559-4c44-a8f1-370f107ff553_zps72e8b442.jpg

After(more like during) lifting:
    NROir0bl.jpg
    EWD5oIfl.jpg
    JHRMd04l.jpg

Edit: I apologize in advance for any eye damage my blindingly white back may cause you.

Lord have mercy that *kitten*...sorry someone had to say it LOL

I was going to say the exact same thing!! Here's to hoping mine looks like that some day :drinker:
  • evans72002
    evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ladies! A friend and I were just discussing that the term "lifting heavy" may put some off.

The idea here is to lift weights challenging for YOU. The programs that are my favorite have you start with the bar, which weighs 45 pounds. Many of you have picked up children that big, and even squatted down to pick up something you dropped while holding him... or if you don't have kids, a bag of groceries, or a backpack!

In Stronglifts, or Starting Strength you are aiming for a few sets of 5 repetitions...5....that's it...you build strength very well this way...and the next time you add 5 more pounds and give it a go.

So lifting heavy doesnt mean you have to squat 500 pounds, you just need to challenge YOUR muscles.

I hope this helps someone:flowerforyou:

I started this at 40... and my body is better than it has been since I was in my early 20's.

I LOVE what lifting has done for me...physically AND mentally.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    Thanks for this info. You all are inspirational!
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You guys are a bunch of haters! Leave Peeyuu alone! Skinny fat forever yo!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...because awesome.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Dizzle you are amazing...also if you open each image in a new tab for some reason you can see them!

That is ridiculous - who has time for that?! GRRRRR STUPID PHOTOBUCKET IS STUPID!

Okay, *pouts* over. Thank you my beautiful Cranky girl.
    Well I had time, thanks for the advice on how to see the pics, and all you ladies look amazing.
    Total body transformations.
    Funny how people worry so much about muscle making them bulky yet didn't consider it bulk when it was fat.

Lea- can i just ask how tall you are?
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I really need to look at this thread every.single.day. I am trying to trust the process but it's tough to see my size going back up (I hope temporarily) since stopping Insanity and starting lifting.

You all are just amazing and I can't wait to have some great results too!

Thank you to all who are taking the time to share their stories and pics. It makes a big difference to people like me.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Now this should work!!!

PHOTO BOMB ALERT! Not wanting to be a total attention *kitten* so please excuse all the pics but I think they tell a story pretty well. I posted in the first part with a before/during picture...but I had a little more time on my hands this morning. Again, I want to reiterate - I didn't follow a huge caloric deficit during this period, I started too (eating around 1500-1600) but quickly fell off track (lifting makes me hangry!). Since December I've pretty much averaged maintenance calories or maybe even higher (~2000-2200+) as I've been battling depression and funky meds. So my progress is slower than others but I want my point to be that heavy lifting has allowed me to maintain my weight while still working on body recomposition (and eating junk food, nomz!). I would have lost more fat had I ate less.
    Also note - I do not do cardio unless walking my dog for .5 - one mile at a leisurely pace counts, haha!

My legs are thicker than some women would like - heck, they are thicker than I would like - but they are what I have to work with (genetics and all, as to their shape). As the fat comes off (by eating in a deficit, if I ever get that nailed into my head) they will lean out more...but for now I'm enjoying all my womanly curves but with lots more strength, power, and confidence. (These pics are the most recent - so about a year's worth of lifting.)

Girl, you look awesome!! And may I also say I love your panties (are those panties? they are cute anyway)? :smile:
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Now this should work!!!

PHOTO BOMB ALERT! Not wanting to be a total attention *kitten* so please excuse all the pics but I think they tell a story pretty well. I posted in the first part with a before/during picture...but I had a little more time on my hands this morning. Again, I want to reiterate - I didn't follow a huge caloric deficit during this period, I started too (eating around 1500-1600) but quickly fell off track (lifting makes me hangry!). Since December I've pretty much averaged maintenance calories or maybe even higher (~2000-2200+) as I've been battling depression and funky meds. So my progress is slower than others but I want my point to be that heavy lifting has allowed me to maintain my weight while still working on body recomposition (and eating junk food, nomz!). I would have lost more fat had I ate less.
    Also note - I do not do cardio unless walking my dog for .5 - one mile at a leisurely pace counts, haha!

*swoon* You are so kick *kitten*!! <3 this!!
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Ladies! A friend and I were just discussing that the term "lifting heavy" may put some off.

The idea here is to lift weights challenging for YOU. The programs that are my favorite have you start with the bar, which weighs 45 pounds. Many of you have picked up children that big, and even squatted down to pick up something you dropped while holding him... or if you don't have kids, a bag of groceries, or a backpack!

In Stronglifts, or Starting Strength you are aiming for a few sets of 5 repetitions...5....that's it...you build strength very well this way...and the next time you add 5 more pounds and give it a go.

So lifting heavy doesnt mean you have to squat 500 pounds, you just need to challenge YOUR muscles.

I hope this helps someone:flowerforyou:

I started this at 40... and my body is better than it has been since I was in my early 20's.

I LOVE what lifting has done for me...physically AND mentally.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Thank you! Very good example~!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    love it! i'm just taggin the thread!
  • cald0nia
    cald0nia Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    You guys are a bunch of haters! Leave Peeyuu alone! Skinny fat forever yo!

I'm not so much a hater as much as a twatwaffle (No offense to iwaffle intended).
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Dizzle you are amazing...also if you open each image in a new tab for some reason you can see them!

That is ridiculous - who has time for that?! GRRRRR STUPID PHOTOBUCKET IS STUPID!

Okay, *pouts* over. Thank you my beautiful Cranky girl.
    Well I had time, thanks for the advice on how to see the pics, and all you ladies look amazing.
    Total body transformations.
    Funny how people worry so much about muscle making them bulky yet didn't consider it bulk when it was fat.

Lea- can i just ask how tall you are?
    I'm 5'10".
  • FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You all look AMAZING! Well done ladies!!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    How did I miss this thread yesterday . . . oh, work got in the way. *kitten*.

I lost my first 30 pounds or so by eating at a deficit and doing cardio. I ran. A lot. I went from a size 18 to a size 14 in about 8 months.

I hurt my foot last summer and had to come up with something else to keep me from going crazy(ier). Some of my awesome guy friends (and ladies) here convinced me to start lifting heavy.

I don't eat at much of a deficit anymore, if at all. I've only lost about 5 additional pounds since I started lifting but I've gone from a size 14 (last summer) to a size 10.

Here's a before pic and a some pics I've taken over the last couple months.

text-small.jpg

992c1111-5a08-4308-8725-0e3d70935a90_zps1322311d.jpg

baa0dbc0-0b69-43a9-b07c-cac63b5cd2f8_zpse7868e27.jpg

8c5ac9f3-ed1b-45cd-943a-40dbfb9c9301_zps0f126c6b.jpg

I still have a long way to go. Hopefully one day I'll find my f#cking abs and I'll be able to post a pic of that :happy:

Hawt! ♥♥♥♥♥♥
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Welp, I'm convinced! I will start heavy lifting (obviously after I read into proper training and whatnot). Thanks ladies!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Accidentally deleted my whole post!!

Lost my baby weight (from my 3rd child) in December. Hit the gym in January after I recovered from severe pneumonia. I weighed 125 when I started at the gym and 136 now. I lifted heavy, and ate 2300-3000 calories a day. Just tryin' to get buff :wink: I do not think I look like a dude!
    ONE YEAR! Last year vs last week
    5SQciQc.png
    Now:
    OIL9D1X.jpg
    QrfsaDP.jpg
    sb5BpcI.jpg
    f1oBIT0.jpg
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Now this should work!!!

Before starting a heavy lifting program I weighed 175 and was pretty flabby. I'd also like to mention I was 220 lbs when I first started losing weight and I lost that weight through deficit and walking. Once I got to 180# I started more intense cardio.I had been doing Jillian Michaels 30 DS and Chalean Extreme during these photos (I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women in March 2013):

My legs are thicker than some women would like - heck, they are thicker than I would like - but they are what I have to work with (genetics and all, as to their shape). As the fat comes off (by eating in a deficit, if I ever get that nailed into my head) they will lean out more...but for now I'm enjoying all my womanly curves but with lots more strength, power, and confidence. (These pics are the most recent - so about a year's worth of lifting.)

Just... Wow. I am so glad that you shared these pictures. You look terrific, and you're right, they do tell an amazing story. I am so in awe of your progress.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I have a girl crush on Dizzle.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!