HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Please don't. You had your thread, you've said your piece a number of times. Yes some from this thread may have contributed but we all certainly didn't. It isn't going to be resolved. Just leave it.

And to those commenting on my pics, thank you so much. Love the others posted, can't even keep up

ETA - right. That came to me after as well. :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I want a weight set, or at least one of those adjustable bar bells you can put up to 100lbs on it. The whole myth of lifting heavy will make you bulky is exactly why my husband won't help me pay for a weight set / bench. It pisses me off. I have had an easier time convincing him to help me get breast implants than lift heavy weights. Not that we can afford those, but the point stands. Nothing I say will convince him that I won't look like a body builder on steroids if I lift weights.

I find other ways to lift heavy, though, when I can. Aside from that, I use resistance bands for strength training and like my results enough. I want to improve, but I know it won't happen with just the bands. I did buy stronger resistances, so I can actually challenge myself more now, but it's not quite the same as free weights. This past week I've been doing tons of gardening, and been taking out 50lb bags of bad dirt / old roots / bulbs to the dumpster which has definitely worked my arms good.

Anyways, just wanted to throw in my .02 here. OP and all you other women taking the next step and doing weights look amazing and are an inspiration to me as well as many other women. :) Don't ever hold back! :heart:

My husband was the same way. I did it anyway. I found a bench, bar, and weights on craigslist for $25. I had a bar from walmart before that that was less than $30, and bought some weight plates there also, as I needed them. My first "bench presses" were done sans a bench on the floor. I made the squat rack in the pic there from the instructions on this blog: http://freckledlifter.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/diy-squat-rack/

The result so far? Welp, he hasn't kicked me out of bed yet, haha. He'll even spot me (I mean he doesn't want me to hurt myself), and he even *gasp* seems to be liking some of the changes in my body.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Please don't. You had your thread, you've said your piece a number of times. Yes some from this thread may have contributed but we all certainly didn't. It isn't going to be resolved. Just leave it.

And to those commenting on my pics, thank you so much. Love the others posted, can't even keep up.

:flowerforyou:
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I want a weight set, or at least one of those adjustable bar bells you can put up to 100lbs on it. The whole myth of lifting heavy will make you bulky is exactly why my husband won't help me pay for a weight set / bench. It pisses me off. I have had an easier time convincing him to help me get breast implants than lift heavy weights. Not that we can afford those, but the point stands. Nothing I say will convince him that I won't look like a body builder on steroids if I lift weights.
    Show him this thread.

Well, it's interesting to me, because I have shown him many of the females on this site as an example of what I want to look like - and he's response is basically he doesn't want me to become that defined. I love him, but he's not the most sensitive when it comes to me and my own aspirations with my body. The first time I flexed for a picture after reaching my goal weight and showed it to him, he actually said, "Ew." - and this was when I was even higher BF% than I am now. He's a great guy, really, I don't mean to make him sound like some awful pig-headed jerk. lol. He just wants me to be soft and squishy, but I do not want to be soft and squishy!

I try to tell him I'm not trying to become that defined necessarily, just stronger and a bit more trimmed down. I really just want to be stronger, honestly, but he doesn't get it. It's like talking to a brick wall with him. I would LOVE to look like Ashley Horner or any other among many beautiful fitness models, but I still care to be attractive to my husband, within reason, so I wouldn't go that far for his sake. It may seem stupid to some, but yeah, anyways... I just wish I could convince him that my lifting weights isn't an automatic ticket to being extremely muscular, which isn't even a bad thing in my opinion, but unless you're specifically going for that, it doesn't happen just from lifting weights.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    HATERS GON' HATE.

BYE.

*flips hair*

Keep the lovely pictures coming, ladies!
  • Absterdam
    Absterdam Posts: 50
    Options
    Some people wanna be average, some wanna be athletic (note: there's a difference between athletic and bulky). I wanna be athletic, and I think all you guys posting your pictures are beautiful and looking at them is motivating me to get off my butt :]
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Well, it's interesting to me, because I have shown him many of the females on this site as an example of what I want to look like - and he's response is basically he doesn't want me to become that defined. I love him, but he's not the most sensitive when it comes to me and my own aspirations with my body. The first time I flexed for a picture after reaching my goal weight and showed it to him, he actually said, "Ew." - and this was when I was even higher BF% than I am now. He's a great guy, really, I don't mean to make him sound like some awful pig-headed jerk. lol. He just wants me to be soft and squishy, but I do not want to be soft and squishy!

I try to tell him I'm not trying to become that defined necessarily, just stronger and a bit more trimmed down. I really just want to be stronger, honestly, but he doesn't get it. It's like talking to a brick wall with him. I would LOVE to look like Ashley Horner or any other among many beautiful fitness models, but I still care to be attractive to my husband, within reason, so I wouldn't go that far for his sake. It may seem stupid to some, but yeah, anyways... I just wish I could convince him that my lifting weights isn't an automatic ticket to being extremely muscular, which isn't even a bad thing in my opinion, but unless you're specifically going for that, it doesn't happen just from lifting weights.

No sweat! Definition is only a question of body fat percentage. You can increase your bone density, strengthen your muscles, forestall osteoporosis, and receive all of the other wonderful benefits of resistance training *without lowering your body fat*!!! Then you won't look defined.
  • Beezil
    Options
    My husband was the same way. I did it anyway. I found a bench, bar, and weights on craigslist for $25. I had a bar from walmart before that that was less than $30, and bought some weight plates there also, as I needed them. My first "bench presses" were done sans a bench on the floor. I made the squat rack in the pic there from the instructions on this blog: http://freckledlifter.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/diy-squat-rack/

The result so far? Welp, he hasn't kicked me out of bed yet, haha. He'll even spot me (I mean he doesn't want me to hurt myself), and he even *gasp* seems to be liking some of the changes in my body.

lol yeah I am planning to buy a set when I get the money and say eff it to whatever his reaction may be. I know the truth, damn it! lol And he likes the way I look now, even though I'm not as squishy anymore - which tells me he doesn't really know what he finds attractive! He shows me way more physical attention now than when I was bigger and had higher BF%. I notice, obviously... even when I quit working out and watching my diet for 3 months recently - I gained 10lbs, and I noticed the attention began to dwindle along with my muscle definition! So, there's that too. I will have my weights, one way or another. lol
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    In..

to *kitten* to all these awesome pics later.

I haven't been lifting long enough but I'm sure this thread will still be rollin' (PUN INTENDED, BOOM) by the time I get to a point where I can contribute to this thread.
  • Beezil
    Options
    No sweat! Definition is only a question of body fat percentage. You can increase your bone density, strengthen your muscles, forestall osteoporosis, and receive all of the other wonderful benefits of resistance training *without lowering your body fat*!!! Then you won't look defined.

Thank you. :) This is what I keep trying to tell the husband creature. lol and convince him to do weights with me, that'd be even better! :)
  • KKWilson
    KKWilson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Bump! Darn. I need a better weight set! Great job y'all!
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    I told weese to get her tiny toned butt in here and show the difference between cardio and lifting but she must be busy with children or whatever. Sure don't know why, it's not like toddlers are high maintenance or anything . . .
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    you all look amazing. Fit, strong, and healthy

tumblr_mlz045ucIL1r9ku1so1_500.gif
  • Brookesworld104
    Brookesworld104 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
  • Brookesworld104
    Options

Ugh What am I doing wrong with Photos?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Use the bb code, it starts with [IMG], then change the IMG to img at the beginning and end. :flowerforyou:[/img]
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Ugh What am I doing wrong with Photos?

photo_zps2a2129e8.jpg

You can see what I did by quoting me.

The img must be lowercase

[ i m g ] imageurl.com/jpgorwhatever [ / i m g ]
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    oh my goddess...
  • Brookesworld104
    Options
    photo_zps2a2129e8.jpg.htmlphoto_zps2a2129e8.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!