HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You ladies who are in your 40's and looking so smoking hot? Thank you for sharing your befores and afters. I love seeing the ones from the younger gals too, don't get me wrong - I LOVE it. But I'm happy to see these results from ladies in my age group - it reminds me that I don't have to 'settle' just because I'm not in my 20's anymore.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Love all these beautiful strong women..

Oh and BTW, chicks who dead lift are AWESOME!!:drinker:

yjhG0qU.jpg

I love the face you are making. :laugh:
    Thanks thats my "being awesome" face =)
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    JUMPJUMPJUMP!

SO glad this thread is back!

I lift 3 days a week, and walk or do cardio on the off days if anyone wants to know

Currently cutting to reduce my body fat so I can see what's up under there! If I dont like way I look at a lower body fat, I will just NOMNOMNOM more.

I really love what lifting has done for my body... seems to be putting things back where they belong, and at 41 THAT'S exciting!

33110506_2715.jpg
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    So happy this thread is back!!
  • Crankstr
    Options
    You ladies who are in your 40's and looking so smoking hot? Thank you for sharing your befores and afters. I love seeing the ones from the younger gals too, don't get me wrong - I LOVE it. But I'm happy to see these results from ladies in my age group - it reminds me that I don't have to 'settle' just because I'm not in my 20's anymore.

I really do feel like giving your muscles much needed attention as you age is the fountain of youth, whether it is with a barbell, or doing bodyweight exercises, whatever.
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Woohoo !

Great results.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Most likely, no one will read this or care about it, but I am going to say it anyway!!!

You ladies looks absolutely amazing. I wanted to say that you all are truly inspirational. This is not to say that women who DON'T pick things up and put them down are not inspirational, but I would prefer to look more muscular one day. I am 298 pounds (under 300 finally!!! :bigsmile:) and I have started to incorporate some form of resistance/strength (not sure which to call it) training because I would rather start now and work my way up so that by the time I am at goal weight, I can have a decent amount of muscle mass. Luckily, being so big my legs are pretty muscular under all those layers of fat, so my squats and lunges and kettlebelling (good Lord those things are trying to kill me!) are already making my calves, thighs and butt firmer. The KB also helps my arms a bit.

I am a bit apprehensive to actually go to the free weights and use them, because there are constantly people there and I think I would feel really lame comparatively. But I think after seeing all these amazing results I may start incorporating free weights along with my cardio/KB routines. Hopefully one day I will have awesome abs, arms, legs, and an *kitten* like all of you ladies do! Any tips, pieces of advice, favorite workouts to do that come my way will be much appreciated. Again, I really hope to look like you ladies one day!

TL;DR You guys looks sexy as hell, I want to look that way too.

You can do it-- be brave! It is a little intimidating at first but you'll be at home there in no time.

I just started and I chose Stronglifts. I picked it because it's simple and it doesn't take a ton of time (you lift 3 days per week, usually around 45 minutes for me). It's also free, which is great.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Whichever mod brought this back, I could kiss you! Thank you! Made. My. Day!
  • Crankstr
    Options
    How did I miss this thread yesterday . . . oh, work got in the way. *kitten*.

I lost my first 30 pounds or so by eating at a deficit and doing cardio. I ran. A lot. I went from a size 18 to a size 14 in about 8 months.

I hurt my foot last summer and had to come up with something else to keep me from going crazy(ier). Some of my awesome guy friends (and ladies) here convinced me to start lifting heavy.

I don't eat at much of a deficit anymore, if at all. I've only lost about 5 additional pounds since I started lifting but I've gone from a size 14 (last summer) to a size 10.

Here's a before pic and a some pics I've taken over the last couple months.

text-small.jpg

992c1111-5a08-4308-8725-0e3d70935a90_zps1322311d.jpg

baa0dbc0-0b69-43a9-b07c-cac63b5cd2f8_zpse7868e27.jpg

8c5ac9f3-ed1b-45cd-943a-40dbfb9c9301_zps0f126c6b.jpg

I still have a long way to go. Hopefully one day I'll find my f#cking abs and I'll be able to post a pic of that :happy:

I :heart: U
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Most likely, no one will read this or care about it, but I am going to say it anyway!!!

You ladies looks absolutely amazing. I wanted to say that you all are truly inspirational. This is not to say that women who DON'T pick things up and put them down are not inspirational, but I would prefer to look more muscular one day. I am 298 pounds (under 300 finally!!! :bigsmile:) and I have started to incorporate some form of resistance/strength (not sure which to call it) training because I would rather start now and work my way up so that by the time I am at goal weight, I can have a decent amount of muscle mass. Luckily, being so big my legs are pretty muscular under all those layers of fat, so my squats and lunges and kettlebelling (good Lord those things are trying to kill me!) are already making my calves, thighs and butt firmer. The KB also helps my arms a bit.

I am a bit apprehensive to actually go to the free weights and use them, because there are constantly people there and I think I would feel really lame comparatively. But I think after seeing all these amazing results I may start incorporating free weights along with my cardio/KB routines. Hopefully one day I will have awesome abs, arms, legs, and an *kitten* like all of you ladies do! Any tips, pieces of advice, favorite workouts to do that come my way will be much appreciated. Again, I really hope to look like you ladies one day!

I started when I was pretty close to your weight. What helped me get over my initial nerves was going over my lifting plan piece by piece, watching videos to get my form down. Preparing myself made me able to walk in confidently. Trust me, after the first session you will wonder why you were ever nervous to walk in there. And great job incorporating strength training early on! You will be so glad that you did.

Oh, and I second Amber's recommendation of StrongLifts. It's a great, simple program that gets the job done. :flowerforyou:
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Instead of quoting everyone individually, Ill just post this: :love:

5sCkLNR.gif
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

As someone who used to be 288 lbs (that was my starting weight), I have one bit of advice...

Resistance/strength train NOW. The biggest mistake I made while getting to my goal weight was NOT doing any strength training until the very end. I lost an insane amount of muscle mass, and was left with flab and loose skin. Luckily, I'm young, so the loose skin is shrinking, but I'm still playing catch up trying to get back some of the muscle I lost.

Honestly, if I had picked up the weights years ago, I would have also been where I'm at now years ago.

I get being intimidated by free weights, but DON'T BE. I promise you, after a week tops, you'll love how strong you'll start to feel. Not only does weight lifting change your body, but it also changes your mind. I'd never be as confident and self assured without the mental strength that weight lifting granted me.

A few programs to look into:

Stronglifts 5x5: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

This is actually the program I started with. I love it.

Starting Strength: http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site

Another great beginner program. Very similar to Stronglifts. This is actually an e-book that you have to purchase, but from what I've heard, it's well worth the money.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Instead of quoting everyone individually, Ill just post this: :love:

5sCkLNR.gif

I'll just quote this and say women that list are awesome! I'm so glad a lot of you are already my friends!
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options

I started when I was pretty close to your weight. What helped me get over my initial nerves was going over my lifting plan piece by piece, watching videos to get my form down. Preparing myself made me able to walk in confidently. Trust me, after the first session you will wonder why you were ever nervous to walk in there. And great job incorporating strength training early on! You will be so glad that you did.

Oh, and I second Amber's recommendation of StrongLifts. It's a great, simple program that gets the job done. :flowerforyou:

Amazing things can happen from 30 seconds of courage.

When I joined my gym they recommended I check out the powerlifting class. Leading up to that first class I was SO nervous (I had dreams about it) ...I could have vomited. But I forced myself to walk in and admit that I was new and didn't know a thing about weights. It's been one of the best decisions I've ever made!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

If i may, I'm going to shamelessly plug my own thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/824518-fat-girl-dead-lifting

I started at 125kg/270ish lbs.

You can do it!
  • greeneyedmama81
    greeneyedmama81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My difference b/w my before and during in my profile picture is 5lbs. I truely attribute my success to lifting.

Thank you so much everyone for the inspiration to continue. You all gave me a huge lady boner :love: :love: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,129 Member
    Options
    Inspirational ladies, thank you for sharing your success stories & pictures... :flowerforyou:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

If i may, I'm going to shamelessly plug my own thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/824518-fat-girl-dead-lifting

I started at 125kg/270ish lbs.

You can do it!
  • Crankstr
    Options
    photo_zps2a2129e8.jpg
    Fixed it! Yay!

You look FABULOUS!

whoa.

double whoa.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!