HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    WHat really impresses me is the timescale of a lot of these transformations. What slightly worries me is whether my split stomach muscles from my last pregnancy would affect my ability to lift :ohwell:

I had a C section...it hasn't stopped me from doing anything different...and I'll be honest..I didn't realise having split tummy muscle WOULD make a difference?

Does it? Can someone clarify?
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, how do you lovely lifting ladies feel about girls like me who don't lift and don't have any interest in lifting ever? :P

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me what you (or any of my friends) do to stay healthy (unless of course you are starving yourself or relying on crazy cleanses/master diets, etc). As long as you are happy, feel good, and are secure with yourself - I could care less. You must find something you enjoy doing - and do it - that's the most important thing. :)
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Just wondering, how do you lovely lifting ladies feel about girls like me who don't lift and don't have any interest in lifting ever? :P

As long as you are happy with whatever you are doing to get healthy and you like the results..it's nothing to do with anyone else.

Edited to add..you may not like strength training but its not only great to make you look good...it's good for the inside of your body..ie skeletal density..it's great for preventing osteoporosis.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Edited to keep the peace.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

I feel fine about you, and if that is what makes you happy then that is your choice.

I was never interested in it either, but now that i am in my 40's I am thinking more about improving my bone density, and trying to prevent muscle loss, which happens as we age.

No one here is trying to criticize people who dont lift... for me, and many others, it has allowed us to achieve results that we desire.

We are just sharing what has worked for us...I personally do weight training 3 days and cardio 3 days.

you are a beautiful young lady and I wish you the best, whatever form of exercise you choose to do.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    edit
  • selina884
    Options

with an 800 daily calorie goal, what do I think of you?

Not much.
  • Crankstr
    Options

with an 800 daily calorie goal, what do I think of you?

Not much.

this is not necessary, we are trying to have a positive thread here, and insulting people will only start arguing...this thread was already pulled yesterday and cleaned up because of things like this.

She does need to eat more, she DOESNT need to be attacked.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    Lets do like cranky said and play nicely yeah?

This is a great positive thread..lets keep the nastiness out of it?
  • selina884
    Options
    obeying crankstrs orders
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Ladies! A friend and I were just discussing that the term "lifting heavy" may put some off.

The idea here is to lift weights challenging for YOU. The programs that are my favorite have you start with the bar, which weighs 45 pounds. Many of you have picked up children that big, and even squatted down to pick up something you dropped while holding him... or if you don't have kids, a bag of groceries, or a backpack!

In Stronglifts, or Starting Strength you are aiming for a few sets of 5 repetitions...5....that's it...you build strength very well this way...and the next time you add 5 more pounds and give it a go.

So lifting heavy doesnt mean you have to squat 500 pounds, you just need to challenge YOUR muscles.

I hope this helps someone:flowerforyou:

I started this at 40... and my body is better than it has been since I was in my early 20's.

I LOVE what lifting has done for me...physically AND mentally.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

it helped me. thank you.
    bim-tc-twins-001703.jpg
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I don't feel anything particular about it at all... it's your life :flowerforyou: there are quite a few women on my friends list who don't lift. No big deal.

If people (men or women) ask my advice about whether lifting will help them achieve their body composition goals, then I'll advise them to lift, but how I feel about someone as a person isn't dependent on whether or not they follow my advice or want to do the same things as me.

I don't understand how people get from "I love lifting, it hasn't made me get bulky, I love how I look as a result of lifting, I love how lifting makes me feel, there are lots of health benefits to lifting heavy, here's a pic of me squatting more than my bodyweight" to "I don't like women who don't lift".... ??? No-one is saying that.
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Ladies! A friend and I were just discussing that the term "lifting heavy" may put some off.

The idea here is to lift weights challenging for YOU. The programs that are my favorite have you start with the bar, which weighs 45 pounds. Many of you have picked up children that big, and even squatted down to pick up something you dropped while holding him... or if you don't have kids, a bag of groceries, or a backpack!

In Stronglifts, or Starting Strength you are aiming for a few sets of 5 repetitions...5....that's it...you build strength very well this way...and the next time you add 5 more pounds and give it a go.

So lifting heavy doesnt mean you have to squat 500 pounds, you just need to challenge YOUR muscles.

I hope this helps someone:flowerforyou:

I started this at 40... and my body is better than it has been since I was in my early 20's.

I LOVE what lifting has done for me...physically AND mentally.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

it helped me. thank you.
    bim-tc-twins-001703.jpg

Thanks! I always feel so stupid when I read threads like this, because I've also recently starting doing SL 5 X 5, but find it really hard to up the weights. So, the weights I lift are really very light compared to most of the other lifters I read about.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys, I was just wondering :) Thanks for the feedback, didn't mean to cause an argument :) I'll leave now, you all look gorgeous :)
  • Crankstr
    Options
    Thanks! I always feel so stupid when I read threads like this, because I've also recently starting doing SL 5 X 5, but find it really hard to up the weights. So, the weights I lift are really very light compared to most of the other lifters I read about.

All you need to do is worry about comparing you to YOU.

In my experience keeping the 5x5 while in a calorie deficit can be really taxing and tiring...Starting Strength is 3x5...so i kind of merged the 2 and do 2 warm up sets, one at half the weight, and one at 75% of the weight, then 3x5.

Also you could buy fractional plates...i am looking into this right now! As the weights get heavier it id difficult to go up 5 pounds, especially in OHP. So increasing in smaller increments may be the way to go.

Also, make sure you deload for a week here and there! do the same program with lighter weights, then return to the program the next week..I have really responded well to this.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options

All you need to do is worry about comparing you to YOU.

In my experience keeping the 5x5 while in a calorie deficit can be really taxing and tiring...Starting Strength is 3x5...so i kind of merged the 2 and do 2 warm up sets, one at half the weight, and one at 75% of the weight, then 3x5.

Also you could buy fractional plates...i am looking into this right now! As the weights get heavier it id difficult to go up 5 pounds, especially in OHP. So increasing in smaller increments may be the way to go.

Also, make sure you deload for a week here and there! do the same program with lighter weights, then return to the program the next week..I have really responded well to this.

QFT! Took the words right out of my mouth!
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    And that, my dear, was my intention in posting this thread. It literally makes me beam to know that at least a few women are going to conquer their fears and change their lives for the better.

Seriously--you are so inspirational! My current weight and measurements are pretty much the same as yours in the before pictures (and I'm an inch shorter than you). I had convinced myself that I could never possibly get into single-digit dress sizes, but now I'm motivated to at least try!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I don't have an issue with that. It's your body. This is thread is more about showing that it's OK to lift - not that you have to.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I have no interest in running ever...it's pretty much the same thing I would imagine that runners feel about me. While they probably would like to encourage me for the benefits, I doubt that they feel any differently about me than if I did.
  • rosasharon
    rosasharon Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    adding to my inspiration list!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!