HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• stennis
    stennis Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Definitely no dude .... yowza!!!!!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I have a question:

Can I still achieve the same/similar results using the circute machines rather then free weights? After reading this thread (as well as the several others that have popped up over the past few days), I realized that the way I WANT to look cannot be achieved by the low weights I am doing now, so I upped everything today.
    Please feel free to critique my work out/weights and let me know what I can do differently or better:

I would say get off the machines if you can. They isolate muscles and only allow movement in a fixed pattern. It's great that you're lifting heavier. That will help. But one of the benefits of strength training is that you're recruiting many muscles at once. For example, when you squat you're working glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors, hip adductors, quads, and your core. Therefore recruiting more muscle fibers, burning more calories, and stimulating hormones that are productive to weight loss and muscle building.

Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts Starting Strength.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have a question:

Can I still achieve the same/similar results using the circute machines rather then free weights? After reading this thread (as well as the several others that have popped up over the past few days), I realized that the way I WANT to look cannot be achieved by the low weights I am doing now, so I upped everything today.
    Please feel free to critique my work out/weights and let me know what I can do differently or better:

I would say get off the machines if you can. They isolate muscles and only allow movement in a fixed pattern. It's great that you're lifting heavier. That will help. But one of the benefits of strength training is that you're recruiting many muscles at once. For example, when you squat you're working glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors, hip adductors, quads, and your core. Therefore recruiting more muscle fibers, burning more calories, and stimulating hormones that are productive to weight loss and muscle building.

Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts Starting Strength.
    this
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, how do you lovely lifting ladies feel about girls like me who don't lift and don't have any interest in lifting ever? :P

Maybe you should start your own thread and not hijack this one. It's already gone through a heavy dose of negativity and derailment...please don't try to do the same.

To clarify for those that seem to want to pick a fight...this thread is to help dispel the fears of "bulking" due to heavy lifting, as well as celebrate the tremendous progress these women have made. Most aren't working towards a competition. Most are just your every day ladies who found a way to get fit as well as get the body that they were really looking for.

There are so many women out there that are interested, but scared and alienated by the broscience, prejudice, and judgmental conceptions that are, unfortunately, spread thick everywhere. I hope this thread inspires those women to take that first step to at least trying heavy lifting rather than condemning it right off the bat.

So...back to the awesomeness of this thread. Congrats ladies! You are all so awesome :):flowerforyou:
  • CoderGal
    Options
    5SQciQc.png
    My...what big cups you have...the better to hot you with :tongue:

...And people worry about losing all the boob and looking manly.
  • girlshapedtiger
    Options
    bump because i love this thread and want to go back and read all of it. :D
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Bumpola Bumpingtons. Have just bought NROL4W and am about to step tentatively in your footsteps. Thanks for the inspiration ladies :flowerforyou:
  • Mommylicous
    Mommylicous Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not as far along as all these ladies are, but a little encouragement for those of you who have a lot to lose..

This is after only 2 Months of lifting, with only a 3.2 lb loss.

5c50a37e-11a8-4701-869c-84eb0ee0cd9b.jpg

8070b9b0-c38e-4fa1-a527-789c0d4c19d0.jpg

Best 3.2 lb loss of my life. Never going back to "just cardio" again.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Amen , you look great!
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    5SQciQc.png
    My...what big cups you have...the better to hot you with :tongue:

...And people worry about losing all the boob and looking manly.

Why thank you, my dear! But I'll admit that Victoria's Secret has helped out a lot. Some women don't lose the majority of the boobage...but I'm not one of them :wink: I'm also a lady who wanted abs more than anything, and was willing to sacrifice.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Why thank you, my dear! But I'll admit that Victoria's Secret has helped out a lot. Some women don't lose the majority of the boobage...but I'm not one of them :wink: I'm also a lady who wanted abs more than anything, and was willing to sacrifice.

I mean this in the most non-creepy way possible but I love your abs.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • georgiancreative
    georgiancreative Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow love this post for the pure inspiration.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I would love abs. Some women need to realize it's not their boob tissue they're losing it's the extra fat they're carrying on and around it. Some people have this horror story made up in their mind (particularly if they're not well endowed). But the more muscle you keep the more they perk and the more fat you lose the less they sag. I lost 8 band sizes and while my boobs have gotten smaller, so has the rest of me, proportionately.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Ok...that is it....I am going to start.....

Thank you ladies:flowerforyou:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Just curling up to take a nap in my favorite thread.

:yawn:

I need my rest...tomorrow I SMASHHHHHH!
  • bekylouisex3
    bekylouisex3 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    WOW! You all look amazing! I've been lifting on/off for quite a bit. Just recently got serious with my diet etc. and can't wait to see the results :love:
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

Now:
    OIL9D1X.jpg
    QrfsaDP.jpg
    sb5BpcI.jpg

HAWT!!!!!
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I just spent about an hour reading through these threads and you ladies are all lovely, inspirational and amazing! Congrats to you on your hard work and well deserved results.

I would love to start lifting - but I do not have a gym membership (and I am more likely to workout at home anyways). Right now, I am I trying to lower my BF % with home body weight routines and diet. One day, I want to get to the gym and start a program like stronglits or NROL for Woman...Anywho, congrats to you all!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!