HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Actually heavy is a relative term that is subjective to the person doing it. And imo if a woman is doing 8-10 reps of those weights that is heavy and will build strength as long as it's progressive.

•1-5 Reps Per Set = Mostly Strength
    •5-8 Reps Per Set = Strength AND Muscle Equally
    •8-10 Reps Per Set = Muscle With Some Strength
    •10-12 Reps Per Set = Muscle With Some Endurance
    •12-15 Reps Per Set = Endurance With Some Muscle
    •15-20 Reps Per Set = Mostly Endurance

I did 5x5 for 9 months, moved to 3x5 for the summer as I didn't want to spend 90 mins lifting and it was getting to that with the rests required.

Then to Wendler 5/3/1 for a change and now doing the 8-10 reps but it's progressive so still keeping the strength.

Adding muscle won't usually happen at a deficit regardless of rep# (yes there are exceptions)

*Points to where you put 8-10 reps in the range from STRENGTH training to ENDURANCE training*

Since it's in the middle by your own standards, I'm gonna say that no, you don't really think 8-10 reps of those weights is heavy, it's moderate.

1-8 reps = heavy.
    8-12 reps = moderate.
    12-20 reps = light.

By your own standards.
  • stickthejugon
    stickthejugon Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Do you find that your joints ached after a couple of weeks... my knees & hips are aching like toothache after 3weeks of SL :(
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    BinaryFu wrote: »
    Actually heavy is a relative term that is subjective to the person doing it. And imo if a woman is doing 8-10 reps of those weights that is heavy and will build strength as long as it's progressive.

•1-5 Reps Per Set = Mostly Strength
    •5-8 Reps Per Set = Strength AND Muscle Equally
    •8-10 Reps Per Set = Muscle With Some Strength
    •10-12 Reps Per Set = Muscle With Some Endurance
    •12-15 Reps Per Set = Endurance With Some Muscle
    •15-20 Reps Per Set = Mostly Endurance

I did 5x5 for 9 months, moved to 3x5 for the summer as I didn't want to spend 90 mins lifting and it was getting to that with the rests required.

Then to Wendler 5/3/1 for a change and now doing the 8-10 reps but it's progressive so still keeping the strength.

Adding muscle won't usually happen at a deficit regardless of rep# (yes there are exceptions)

*Points to where you put 8-10 reps in the range from STRENGTH training to ENDURANCE training*

Since it's in the middle by your own standards, I'm gonna say that no, you don't really think 8-10 reps of those weights is heavy, it's moderate.

1-8 reps = heavy.
    8-12 reps = moderate.
    12-20 reps = light.

By your own standards.

Not sure what you are getting at @Binaryfu...those are not my standards...those were given to me by other lifters actually.

And If I am squatting my bw x8 reps and I am taxed to finish yes that is heavy...heavy is relative to the person doing the lifting.
  • emz_1993
    emz_1993 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I need abs like this! I need to lift heavier! What program was this!? I need to do this
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    emz_1993 wrote: »
    I need abs like this! I need to lift heavier! What program was this!? I need to do this

those abs aren't from heavy lifting...those are from the calorie deficit...
    Heavy lifting helps maintain as much muscle as possible while losing the fat over it...

A lot of us started with Strong Lifts 5x5...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Try those links out.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Do you find that your joints ached after a couple of weeks... my knees & hips are aching like toothache after 3weeks of SL :(

There have been times that my knees and hips have hurt but then my body gets used to the weight and I'm fine. After a year of SL, I never get knee pain (I don't use sleeves) and my hips hurt very rarely.
  • angeladoyle3
    angeladoyle3 Posts: 13 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    12/13 weeks after starting lifting/eating healthy and tracking everything!
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    TY for posting this so that all can see that ladies lifting will not make you look like a linebacker.

AGREED! Take a break from the cardio machines and step into the weight room...the weights are your best friends!
  • BinaryFu
    Options
    Not sure what you are getting at @Binaryfu...those are not my standards...those were given to me by other lifters actually.

And If I am squatting my bw x8 reps and I am taxed to finish yes that is heavy...heavy is relative to the person doing the lifting.

Sorry I wasn't clear. What I'm getting at is those numbers are in the middle range, making them a MODERATE strength training workout and not a HEAVY LIFT MUSCLE BULKING WORKOUT.

Yes, you should be taxed to finish *any* workout. It means you're doing it right. You should be taxed when doing light reps at the end of it, or you're using too light of a weight. Same for moderate and the same for heavy.
    • Heavy lifting is about one thing - making your muscles bigger and making them stronger.
    • Moderate lifting is a balance between endurance and bulk, with moderate results in both categories.
    • Light lifting is all about look and endurance. You're cutting away the muscle you don't want/need and focusing on targeted muscles to enhance them.

So, yeah. You have the relative part backwards. What's relative is how much weight you can do at the SET number of reps. Not how many reps you do and feel taxed by them. You will feel taxed by any of those workouts or you're not doing them right.

Heavy = small number of reps at the highest weight possible.
    Moderate = moderate number of reps at the highest weight possible.
    Light = large number of reps at the highest weight possible.

Does this make sense now?
  • BinaryFu
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    No. Go away.

Feel free to prove what I said is wrong. I'm all ears.

Now, if you want to talk about workouts that involve total muscle failure, then there is evidence that light weights to maximum reps can also provide bulk and stimulate muscle protein synthesis while minimizing injuries.

However, when you're defining LIGHT, MODERATE and HEAVY lifting, what I said above is correct.

Good luck with your rebuttal, I sincerely hope you can manage more than three words next time.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    BinaryFu wrote: »
    No. Go away.

Feel free to prove what I said is wrong. I'm all ears.

Now, if you want to talk about workouts that involve total muscle failure, then there is evidence that light weights to maximum reps can also provide bulk and stimulate muscle protein synthesis while minimizing injuries.

However, when you're defining LIGHT, MODERATE and HEAVY lifting, what I said above is correct.

Good luck with your rebuttal, I sincerely hope you can manage more than three words next time.

I'm still finishing my coffee.
  • BinaryFu
    Options
    I'm still finishing my coffee.

Mmmmm...coffee...*eyes glaze over*
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

It sounds to me like you're not properly stretching. Make sure you're really stretching out your hip flexors, hamstrings, lower back, quads, etc. Also foam rolling is magical. A lot of time aches and pains are not from injury or damage to the area that hurts it's from tightness in the muscles, tendons, and ligaments surround the area. I find when my knees hurt for example it's because my quads are tight and I just need to roll the *kitten* out of them and stretch a lot. If the pain continues you can buy knee sleeves from rouge fitness and see if those help.
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,300 Member
    Options
    You look amazing....very well done!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    getitamb your boobs look fantastic in that swim top. I'm super jealous! I hope my boobs look that good in a swim top one day.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    getitamb your boobs look fantastic in that swim top. I'm super jealous! I hope my boobs look that good in a swim top one day.

Lol. Thank you!! I've had it a while. Just never worn it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!