Worst diet advice!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Eat 6 small meals a day. Horrible horrible advise for me. It might work for someone else. But, my 6 small meals quickly turned into 6 normal sized meals. I only stuck to that for a couple of months when I realized how much and how many times I was eating. I went down to 3 meals a day and I didn't lose weight, but I did get my weight stabilized. Until October last year, when I made some changes (eating more fiber, less cheese) and have been losing ever since.
    This didn't work because you didn't eat 6 small meals, you ate 6 Regular ones. You didn't follow the advice.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    how about the lemonade, cayenne pepper, maple syrup concoction! This will make you lose 10 pounds in 3 days...NOT

ohhhhh myyyy!!!! I would assume because you would vomit everything in your system LOL
  • blondley
    blondley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I read in one of those girly magazine years ago... something similar... like "even if you eat only chocolate covered sundae's for months, you'll lose weight" although they did say they did NOT recommend it. Haha. I don't get it though.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Eat something, anything, even if it's just 1 bite, within a half hour of waking up...
  • RiesigJay
    RiesigJay Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I read in one of those girly magazine years ago... something similar... like "even if you eat only chocolate covered sundae's for months, you'll lose weight" although they did say they did NOT recommend it. Haha. I don't get it though.

It's about calorie restriction. Honestly you can eat anything you want, as long as your calorie intake is less than your calorie expenditure.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Drink a full liter of water before sitting down to every meal, and make sure to eat or drink nothing after 5pm.
  • zaftiggirl
    zaftiggirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My grandmother suggested I try a cabbage soup diet, which apparently is JUST CABBAGE SOUP FOR DAYS :noway:

She and her friends did it when she was younger to lose weight - proof that the body image issues were alive and well 50-60 years ago!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    The worst advice that I've heard non stop all of my life is:"it's only calories in and calories out, what you eat doesn't matter so fill up on pasta, huge salads, rice cakes, cereal, fruit etc but avoid fat and eat as few calories as possible while performing cardio exercises for hours on end". When I stopped listening to and believing that crap, and started observing other cultures and learning about human history.... surprise, I found a lifestyle that makes me healthy (as in resolving a long list of serious illnesses) and is helping me to lose weight with zero struggling. My obesity had NOTHING to do with laziness and/or having no willpower. While I was consuming huge amounts of calories I was not getting adequate nutrients to fuel my body.
  • zaftiggirl
    zaftiggirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options

It's about calorie restriction. Honestly you can eat anything you want, as long as your calorie intake is less than your calorie expenditure.

For weight loss that is purely based on the number you see on the scale, yes. For true health, no.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Eat 6 small meals a day. Horrible horrible advise for me. It might work for someone else. But, my 6 small meals quickly turned into 6 normal sized meals. I only stuck to that for a couple of months when I realized how much and how many times I was eating. I went down to 3 meals a day and I didn't lose weight, but I did get my weight stabilized. Until October last year, when I made some changes (eating more fiber, less cheese) and have been losing ever since.
    This didn't work because you didn't eat 6 small meals, you ate 6 Regular ones. You didn't follow the advice.

No duh I didn't follow the advice, because eating the first two small meals made me ravenous and I ate huge meals after that. It's still horrible advice for me no matter how you cut it. I could eat six small meals and lose since I would be in a deficit. But, I would be absolutely miserable and I would likely binge most days at least once. It really doesn't change the fact that for me it is horrible advice. Some people need 6 meals a day because they feel very hungry between meals, but that isn't me.
  • blondley
    blondley Posts: 38 Member
    Options

No no, I get that part... I meant I don't get why someone would even suggest that.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

No no, I get that part... I meant I don't get why someone would even suggest that.

It's all over the place. Just last week I was attacked here on the forum for suggesting something like nuts or avocado to increase someone's calories over pizza...
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    "Well, if you've seen Dr. Oz...."
    I shut down immediately.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    "Well, if you've seen Dr. Oz...."
    I shut down immediately.

hahahahaha right there with you!!!
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I remember back in the 90s when the non-fat craze started. As long as you didn't eat over 25 fat grams a day (or around the number), you could eat whatever else you wanted. All the non fat foods, breads, pastas, potatoes you could eat. It didn't take long to see that was a mistake. I kind of wished it worked. My aunt gained so much weight because she ate nearly a 3 cups of non-fat yogurt every night. She couldn't understand why. "But it's non-fat!"
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Recently (and I posted a thread about this) ~ NP told my 13.5 year old HEALTHY daughter (108 pounds, 4'11") to continue to lose weight and to not go below 1000 cals...and to make sure she took in more protein via protein shakes (but only as a meal replacement).

Zija and Monavie really get me. Yes, you can lose weight while drinking any of these shakes...but you really don't have to spend money to lose. Get real. I am not paying that! I have a friend that hounds me all the time about "drinking life in". SMH.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I remember back in the 90s when the non-fat craze started. As long as you didn't eat over 25 fat grams a day (or around the number), you could eat whatever else you wanted. All the non fat foods, breads, pastas, potatoes you could eat. It didn't take long to see that was a mistake. I kind of wished it worked. My aunt gained so much weight because she ate nearly a 3 cups of non-fat yogurt every night. She couldn't understand why. "But it's non-fat!"

This is my mom. That's the only thing that matters to her - non-fat. I have 2 diabetic sisters .. my mom will whip out the fat-free salad dressing, and when they say they cant have it (tons of sugar) .... she says "why? it's FAT-FREE"
  • Pulka_Dot
    Pulka_Dot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I overhead this while having dinner.

"You don't need to eat. You can just take vitamins and supplements and you'll be fine".

:laugh: It took all my willpower to not turn around and ask the girl "Are you freaking serious?"
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Ok so I put this here as just starting out...all those "know it alls" come out of the wood work. Your co worker, neighbor or even friends suddenly become nutritionists with all the answers to your weight loss problems.

The worst advice I have received thus far (and I actually laughed right in the woman's face :/) was: " you want to lose weight, just eat the same meal every single day at the same time. Doesn't matter what it is, it just has to be the same food. It doesn't matter what you eat for the rest of the day...but make sure every single day you have that one meal at the same time"

ummmm ha??? ~So if i eat 2 big macks, 2 large fries and a nice chocolate shake every day at noon...I can lose weight?. And there are over weight people in the world because why? ~ SMH I am pretty sure I stopped listening to her ramble on about why it works as soon as I stopped laughing at her!

What's yours?

Sorry, I'm still laughing at this one!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's the *worst*, but it certainly gave me a laugh - A friend of mine was asking about my weight loss. At that point, I had lost about 80 lbs. She asked how I was doing it, and I told her that I was basically controlling my portion sizes, eating better food, and exercising. She goes, "Oh, I've heard of that. My sister did it." Like I had just described the newest fad diet. Then she says, "You should do the diet [husband] is doing! He doesn't eat any carbs." I couldn't believe it.

If the no carb thing is working for him, awesome. But I've obviously found something that works for me (and is also working better for me than his diet is working for him). I don't need to be sold on some wacky diet craze, thanks.