Worst diet advice!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Recently (and I posted a thread about this) ~ NP told my 13.5 year old HEALTHY daughter (108 pounds, 4'11") to continue to lose weight and to not go below 1000 cals...and to make sure she took in more protein via protein shakes (but only as a meal replacement).

Zija and Monavie really get me. Yes, you can lose weight while drinking any of these shakes...but you really don't have to spend money to lose. Get real. I am not paying that! I have a friend that hounds me all the time about "drinking life in". SMH.

OMG !! Nothing like creating eating dis order in a healthy child :(
  • Evotchka
    Evotchka Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I overhead this while having dinner.

"You don't need to eat. You can just take vitamins and supplements and you'll be fine".

:laugh: It took all my willpower to not turn around and ask the girl "Are you freaking serious?"

OMG. I think if there was the "worst advice award", your example would win. Not eat AT ALL??? Yeah cause who needs Calories and Energy to like ..live..totally out of style.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    My husband told me to just start smoking.
  • chasetwins
    Options

Please tell me he was joking LOL ?!?! Did you tell him cuz ya all smokers are thin right?!?! :p
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    If you were serious about losing weight you wouldn't eat the WHOLE EGG!.. You'll NEVER lose weight if you continue eating the yolk. Not to mention what it will do to your cholesterol..... Yeah, 80something pounds lost, AND my total cholesterol is 127 and my triglicerides are 36... and I eat the WHOLE DAMN EGG!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

It's about calorie restriction. Honestly you can eat anything you want, as long as your calorie intake is less than your calorie expenditure.

Unfortunately, that isn't true either.
  • IMD918
    IMD918 Posts: 49
    Options
    "Bread and carbs is what builds muscle." LMAO
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    There are these awesome shakes that you drink twice a day and then have a lettuce salad with lemon and water. You'll lose TONS of weight!

Sure...it's like 500 calories. My hair will probably fall out too and my blood sugar will tank.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I remember back in the 90s when the non-fat craze started. As long as you didn't eat over 25 fat grams a day (or around the number), you could eat whatever else you wanted. All the non fat foods, breads, pastas, potatoes you could eat. It didn't take long to see that was a mistake. I kind of wished it worked. My aunt gained so much weight because she ate nearly a 3 cups of non-fat yogurt every night. She couldn't understand why. "But it's non-fat!"

This is my mom. That's the only thing that matters to her - non-fat. I have 2 diabetic sisters .. my mom will whip out the fat-free salad dressing, and when they say they cant have it (tons of sugar) .... she says "why? it's FAT-FREE"

I'm not sure how people don't understand that to make the product taste remotely edible (still usually a fail) that fat-free has so much more sugar and/or sodium and sugar-free has more fat and/or sugar.
  • Christinamarie77
    Christinamarie77 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    These are hilarious!! to be honest as soon as anyone opens their mouths I shut off. I know what works and what doesn't for me so why bother BUT I have worked out with my sister and her friend who have a lot of weight to lose. I'm doing HIIT on the elliptical or treadmill next to them (3 mins low/1 min as high as I can go for 20 to 30 mins with inclines/resistance) they walk normal pace at 3.5 with no incline or very little resistance the whole time, still drink soda, eat horrible food yada yada. I heard them talking about how discouraging it was to "do all that work" and see gained numbers on the scale.

Apparently the person losing weight and inches and having to buy new clothes doesn't know anything (that would be me) but they are pro's....yeesh I know sometimes advice is annoying but REALLY?!?! I gave them like 3 suggestions, legit, solid suggestions, easy ones. they looked at me like I had 3 heads.

So I don't take advice from people or really give it anymore unless someone actually seeks it out.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Don't eat white bread, white rice, white pasta. Damn racists.:tongue:
  • chasetwins
    Options
    Don't eat white bread, white rice, white pasta. Damn racists.:tongue:

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

Please tell me he was joking LOL ?!?! Did you tell him cuz ya all smokers are thin right?!?! :p

Ha ha, yeah I think he was half-joking, he smokes and I HATE it. I told him the idea was to be healthy, not find something that suppresses my appetite.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My brother-in-law told me to eat nothing but fruit.

I love the "just do what works best for you" that I see on forums ALOT! I did that and it got me FAT! If I KNEW what worked best... :grumble:
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    "If you hit a plateau just take a day and eat only 6 apples throughout the day. It'll break it for sure."

or

"You HAVE to eat breakfast because it starts your metabolism for the day"
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    Many years ago a "professional" told me to eat half a fresh lemon before every serving of meat. I have no idea why this was supposed to be helpful. I wondered aloud what the people who don't eat meat were supposed to do. That question was ignored.

I never followed this advice, but I'm pretty sure it would never have made any difference in my weight.

I think the lemon is ment to help digestion but only ever heard of it to be put on salad or in warm water to drink,I tried the water once and it was horrible and never did it again.
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    My grandma once went on a 'low-carb' diet by cutting fruit and vegetables out of her diet, because they contain 'a TON of carbs' according to her :laugh:

I also was told by a friend that eating salad will make me anorexic. I said no, having a mental disorder makes you anorexic. She told me 'No, cause like, those anorexics just eat salad'. I giggled at that.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My dad tried that Adkins, no carb diet... He ate fried eggs and bacon, spoonfulls of peanut butter, and fried hamburgers almost every day... He insisted it would help him lose weight, and his Dr. recommended it... He got the pleasure of quadruple bypass surgery at age 58 or 59, and then died of a heart attack at age 64... No thanks, I'll try something else instead.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    carbs are the devil

lies
  • Christinamarie77
    Christinamarie77 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My dad tried that Adkins, no carb diet... He ate fried eggs and bacon, spoonfulls of peanut butter, and fried hamburgers almost every day... He insisted it would help him lose weight, and his Dr. recommended it... He got the pleasure of quadruple bypass surgery at age 58 or 59, and then died of a heart attack at age 64... No thanks, I'll try something else instead.

that's terrible, shame on that doctor :(