Stop rolling your eyes at fat people in the gym!

Options
167891012»

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Wow, so hard to believe people experience this crap! I prefer to use my words if something upsets me and if I'm upset about something, it's something more like people not re-racking weights.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Guilty to some extent. Only really an issue with lap swimming. My gym doesn't have many lanes and it can get quite backed up in the afternoons. When I've been waiting more than 30 minutes for lane, I get kinda aggravated watching people water-walking for an hour or swimming so slowly they might as well be floating. These typically are the larger folk. I know it's none of my business, but for that amount of exertion, you can really do anything for exercise and not take up an hour in a lane.

I know I should just be patient but admittedly it does irk me.

Its very possible that they *can't* just "do anything for exercise." If you've got arthritis, especially in hip or knee, exercising in water is often the best way to be able to stay active despite pain and mobility limitations.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    There is seriously an alarm that goes off if someone grunts at PF? :huh: Glad I never went there...I decided I didn't want to go to a gym that discriminates against anyone, even if it doesn't affect me. How would I like it if a rule was that an alarm went off every time someone had to huff and puff while doing cardio? lol I'd be out all the time.

The only people I "roll my eyes" at (and more of it is internally, not even actually rolling my eyes) are the people who go to the free weights and then slam them down every single time. It's really loud and scares the **** out of me. There are even signs posted all over "If you have to slam it down, please don't pick it up!" Most people adhere to that, and though they slam it down once, they learn quickly and go to a lighter amount. There are a couple of guys who only pick up weights so heavy that they can't fully complete the set and have to slam it down every time...they are not asked to leave, but if someone complains about it or if a trainer hears it, they are asked to go to a lighter weight, lol.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of guys who only pick up weights so heavy that they can't fully complete the set and have to slam it down every time...they are not asked to leave, but if someone complains about it or if a trainer hears it, they are asked to go to a lighter weight, lol.

"Please sir, we can't have you pushing yourself to be better."

Response: "Eat my balls."

I would love for a trainer to have the gumption to talk to me for working harder than they think I should, unless they're holding an MS in one of the sports or medical related fields, they won't be getting a warm reception from me.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I must be a special snowflake. I get way, WAY more nasty looks now that I'm lean than I did when I was overweight.

Hell, even when I was downright morbidly obese I didn't get near the sideways glances or eye rolling that I get now.

As someone who has been guilty of giving fit girls the stink eye when I'm in a bad mood (not proud of and try not to do it, because there is no reason to, but we're all human) I can say that at least for me, for some reason a part of me just assumes that every fit girl I see is just naturally like that and doesn't have to work hard to stay like that. I have a friend that I met on MFP that I go walking with most Thursdays, and upon seeing her, I would have assumed she was naturally thin, though I know she has lost 55 pounds. I am not sure why I do this, considering if they are at the gym, they probably have worked or have to work to stay that in shape, but that's why sometimes thinner people get the stink eye. :embarrassed: I try not to think this way anymore since I started, though, and for the most part I do not.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    There are a couple of guys who only pick up weights so heavy that they can't fully complete the set and have to slam it down every time...they are not asked to leave, but if someone complains about it or if a trainer hears it, they are asked to go to a lighter weight, lol.

I would love for a trainer to have the gumption to talk to me for working harder than they think I should, unless they're holding an MS in one of the sports or medical related fields, they won't be getting a warm reception from me.

I can understand that, but we do not have a separate weight room, and like it or not, those guys are not the only people in the gym. At home if they want to give themselves a hernia trying to lift the weight they try to lift, they can go for it, but the trainers at our gym don't want people getting hurt.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think whether you are overweight or not you should be able to go to a gym and workout with worrying about something like this.
    I usually go early in the morning and then late in the evening and I don't noticed people rolling their eyes but there is definitely a different atmosphere in the morning compared to evening. It may be because it's at 5:30am or because some may be going early to get to work or to start their day and just want to get it out of the way but it's quieter and less people and plenty of equipments that are empty during this time at my gym. So during the morning I use the treadmill for an hour because I'm not hogging the machine since there's only about 4 or 5 people there counting me:) In the evening it's sometimes hard to get on certain equipment and more talkative, more social. Either way I'm fine and as long as I can catch up on the news or sports during my workout I have no complaints! If someone smiles at me I smile back and if someone starts chatting to me I'll chat back...I just go with the flow.
  • InstantKarma24
    InstantKarma24 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Hah! Yes!
    "Excuse me sir, could you put that 450 lbs of weight you're currently dead lifting down a bit more delicately?"
    "Eat my balls"
  • Sinnister78
    Sinnister78 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I'm all for pushing yourself. It's the only way to improve. But if you're slaming weights down, they're too heavy for you. If you're grunting like a constipated senior citizen, it's probably best to set it down.

There's a clear distinction between a person pushing themself and somebody who is trying to lift too much.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I can understand that, but we do not have a separate weight room, and like it or not, those guys are not the only people in the gym. At home if they want to give themselves a hernia trying to lift the weight they try to lift, they can go for it, but the trainers at our gym don't want people getting hurt.

I can understand, and my gym doesn't have a separate weight room either. However, I can't get a trainer to go have a talking to with the hordes thumping and gallumphing along on the treadmills, or dropping the plates down hard on machines, because apparently that's far more acceptable.

I detest the constant thumping sound of a treadmill being used, who's going to have some consideration of my needs and have them quiet down? It's a two way road.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options

I can understand, and my gym doesn't have a separate weight room either. However, I can't get a trainer to go have a talking to with the hordes thumping and gallumphing along on the treadmills, or dropping the plates down hard on machines, because apparently that's far more acceptable.

I detest the constant thumping sound of a treadmill being used, who's going to have some consideration of my needs and have them quiet down? It's a two way road.

I totally agree. I try to do my part to make sure everyone is happy, but you can't please everyone. We have one treadmill that makes tons of noise when you run on it, and most people know to stay away from it, but sometimes people will go on to run on it and I offer up my treadmill instead because I only walk for now, so I won't make as much noise. Other than that our treadmills are pretty quiet, and the cardio is done upstairs and the weights downstairs, so it kind of keeps things separated.

And I realize not everyone's gym is as super awesome as mine, but if you drop the plates down hard more than a couple of times someone comes over to show you how to properly use the machines, because in this case it is usually because they are just letting it drop instead of controlling it back to the starting point like you're supposed to. I do wish more gyms were like mine, where most people are very considerate and everyone does their best not to disturb other people, but sadly, you have gyms like PF turning down people at the door because of how they look.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options

I'm all for pushing yourself. It's the only way to improve. But if you're slaming weights down, they're too heavy for you. If you're grunting like a constipated senior citizen, it's probably best to set it down.

There's a clear distinction between a person pushing themself and somebody who is trying to lift too much.

To be fair, some people just make funny noises. It helps them concentrate better, I guess. I make grunting noises sometimes when I'm doing my kettlebells, even though I'm using a light weight, it helps me push out the last couple of reps. Same as sticking my tongue out...for some reason, I do it, because it helps :huh:
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Most people are so self-absorbed they think everyone is thinking about them.

Most people are also so self-absorbed that they don't realize nobody cares about them.
    THIS.