pregnancy doesn't "ruin" your body...

Options

Replies

• AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    OP, you look AWESOME, every momma's dream is to look so fit after having a little one.

Very inspirational,and I also agree that pregnancy is no reason to let yourself go or over indulge. I will make sure of that in my next pregnancy.

I have a few stretch marks and a little pouch ( i think it's totally fixable with working out/eating right). But, I am okay with that, it is a part of me now and I don't let it get me down. Overall, l just want better health and to look fit and I know I'll get there.

Keep doing what your doing!
  • kawickham85
    kawickham85 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It will treat every body differently. I didn't gain any stretch marks from mine but my sister-in-law got some massive tiger striping. My breasts haven't sagged but her pancaked. I'm glad your pregnancy didn't change your body too much but it will vary greatly from person to person.

i'm sure another person given my same situation would think they didn't fare all that well. the hyperemesis during pregnancy, needing back surgery, the hair loss, the now deflated boobies... definitely didn't make for an ideal pregnancy and post baby body. HOWEVER, i dont focus on these things. yes, genetics made it so i dont have loose skin. genetics also helped me not get any stretch marks. but genetics didn't keep my ab muscles from being stretched apart. i had to work my butt off to get them back to where they used to be. genetics also didn't help me lose weight either (i'm now 17 lbs under where i was prepregnancy). In fact, all the women in my family are overweight. I dont dwell on the negative and instead i focus on the positive... most of which was given from me to me. not courtesy of genetics.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I seen ur pictures now! OMG! You even looked good pregnant!!! You lucky lucky B@#ch!!! LOL I looked like the swollen Michelin marshmellow man. Legs were like stove pipes. I could even press an indent into my leg about an inch effing deep!!! I gained a whopping 70lbs with my pregancy. I didn't exercise though - it was too uncomfortable to do and I eat good most of the time but when i decided to eat, I ATE! and it could be a whole bucket of icecream in one day!!! But now, Im approx 15lbs from prepreg weight and about 4 inches needed to lose around the belly to fit the prepreg clothes. My son is 16 months now. Long ole road for me. Pregnancy didn't ruin my body but it sure as **** changed it and it sure as **** is taking a lot of time to get it back to where i want it.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    OP, you look great! I, too, was extremely fortunate that pregnancy didn't leave any permanent damage to my body. No stretch marks, loose skin, etc.. I think it has a lot to do with genetics. My Mom had 6 kids and not a stretch mark or bit of loose skin on her body. Unfortunately, not everyone has such a good experience. I've had women act very hateful towards me in the past because my body was not "ruined" by pregnancy....it's a very touchy subject.

I understand you were just trying not to worry women who haven't had children yet...but pregnancy treats all of our bodies differently. (nothing to do with "letting yourself go") If people want a vague idea of how they'll look afterwards, look at your mothers.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    bump
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If people want a vague idea of how they'll look afterwards, look at your mothers.

My mom had six kids and zero stretch marks/loose skin. All four of her daughters have stretch marks (some from general weight gain, some from pregnancy). If I were to ever become pregnant, I know I'd look nothing like my mom afterward. Not. fair.
  • kawickham85
    kawickham85 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    OP, you look great! I, too, was extremely fortunate that pregnancy didn't leave any permanent damage to my body. No stretch marks, loose skin, etc.. I think it has a lot to do with genetics. My Mom had 6 kids and not a stretch mark or bit of loose skin on her body. Unfortunately, not everyone has such a good experience. I've had women act very hateful towards me in the past because my body was not "ruined" by pregnancy....it's a very touchy subject.

I understand you were just trying not to worry women who haven't had children yet...but pregnancy treats all of our bodies differently. (nothing to do with "letting yourself go") If people want a vague idea of how they'll look afterwards, look at your mothers.

oh god. in that case, i'm ****ed.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am a Mommy, damnit! Therefore I have the right to sit upon my Judgy McJudgerson throne in my Ivory tower with the other Mommies!

The weather is FABULOUS up here. I see why you all hang out up here.

*to the OP - I am being totally sarcastic. I understand what you're saying, and you're right. Good on you for taking care of yourself during what can be a very difficult time. God knows I didn't, but I am now, so that's all that matters*

*to the other "Mommies" - ISN'T THE WEATHER UP HERE IN THIS IVORY TOWER FABBBUULLLOUUUUSS?!*

I have to say, I share Lea's thoughts :drinker: :smokin:
    recently, i heard someone say they dont want kids because they dont want their body to be 'ruined'. i posted this to show people that having kids does not automatically ruin your body

And THIS is what I heard BEFORE the OP had to say it.....

Ladies, check the hormones & reel in some crazy

:laugh:
  • Iwanttobe180lb
    Options
    sorry to hear you are so caught up in the way that you look that you can't see past your body to what it actually produced. I have 2 beautiful children and 2 equally beautiful angels up in heaven. my body has changed no end as a result of having children but i wouldn't go back in time to have my pre pregnancy body and be without any of my children .... every stretch mark, the saggy boobs, the 2 huge scars from emergancy c sections (... that are hidden by the overhang of my belly ... that is numb from the operations) even the bags under my eyes from sitting by bedsides worrying when they are poorly, are all reminders that i am a woman who has done the most amazing thing in the world and how proud i am of my beautiful intelligent fiesty fun-loving little terrors. I certainly don't see it that i have ruined my body and i am far more hung up about spending time watching them grow and develop and nurturing them, loving them and spending every possible minute having fun with them to spend my precious time in a gym trying to get back what i never had in the first place as i'm not perfect .... is anyone???
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Or we just don't compare ourselves at all! No pregnancy is the same, and neither are any of us. I could have looked at my mom and had high expectations of literally not showing the entire pregnancy but SURPRISE I got pregnant with multiples. OP stated she searched the internet wanting to know what to expect. I find this so strange. I expected to look like ME pregnant. haha

Look in the mirror. Do 'YOUR' best!
    Is it good to aspire to things? Yes!

However, I think the only person we should ever compare ourselves to is ourself. I can't measure myself with the measuring stick of someone else. It will always come back short or long.

Always measure yourself with your own ruler. :flowerforyou:
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The OP pics are hope and all the other comments are scaring the he** out of me. I'm terrified of doing all this work. Losing over 100 lbs, finally have a decent body for once in my life and then ... mangle it with a pregnancy. this is seriously unfair.

Don't be scared. When you decided to become a mom you won't care what pregnancy will do to your body all you will care about is that little kid that you somehow made and will spend the rest of your life trying to protect.

-that's quite the generalization. of course you'll care what kind of body you'll end up with. or at least you should care. you only get one body, after all -

It shouldn't affect your choice to have a child. No matter what happens that is beyond your control, having a child is 100% worth it.

I totally messed up that quoting job, sorry. :)
  • ElenakiFra
    ElenakiFra Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You just lucky with the strech marks.You have to see my belly 4 years post delivery of twins.I dare you! :P
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

My mom had six kids and zero stretch marks/loose skin. All four of her daughters have stretch marks (some from general weight gain, some from pregnancy). If I were to ever become pregnant, I know I'd look nothing like my mom afterward. Not. fair.

We were the opposite...3 out of 4 of us didn't get any.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    i never intended to make strangers on the internet feel bad. i find it odd that strangers can be made to feel bad by other strangers on the internet. that's just something i'll never understand.

Yet you think you can make strangers feel good via the internet? :huh:

Just to throw out how my pregnancy ruined my body:
    - eczema
    - a permanent front butt (vertical Caesarian)
    - exasperated depression
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy didn't ruin my body either. It changed it, that's for sure. But "ruin"??? Aw hell no!

Also, saying "no one takes pics after they have a baby" is silly. Of course there are many many pics women take.

I bounced right back after having my baby. I was young. I didn't get stretch marks. But my rib cage has forever been altered. Apparently this is common. I will never wear a 32" bra again. Not that it really matters to me.

I have loose skin on my belly, but I can't verify it's from pregnancy as opposed to years of obesity that happened later (my son was 3 when I became obese...before that I was fit)....

Just take care of your body while you are pregnant. If you get stretch marks or loose skin, you can do things to help with that.... no worries! It's all good!
  • Rhiana1188
    Rhiana1188 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    by "let yourself go", believe it or not i didn't mean 'end up looking like anything other than me'. hahaha. you guys are too funny. I am referring to the women who dont even try. the women who are self described as being "fat", who complain about being overweight/out of shape, the women who HATE their body and yet eat donuts, drink milkshakes, and sit on their *kitten* because they're moms and that what moms do. i have a relative who was pregnant at the same time as i was. we started off the same. same height, same weight. she gained three times as much weight as i did during pregnancy. she said how she was going to 'enjoy' her pregnancy and eat whatever she wanted. i didn't do this. after delivery, she took it easy and still does. i didn't do this. she says things like, "i'd rather have my child and hate my body than love my body and not have my child". i say you can have both: a body you can be proud of AND children. it's not one or the other.

and yes, i realize that individual results may vary. as long as you do the best you can, that's all that matters.

But you DO realize, don't you, that we're all here because we ARE trying? And this might just be why so many have found your post to be, hmmm, how shall I say this nicely, "not very helpful or motivating."

This, exactly. Maybe the reason this thread is blowing up this way is because the audience you're posting to is NOT sitting around eating donuts and milkshakes, letting themselves go. Personally, I'm busting *kitten* every day, sweating, pushing myself to new limits. I haven't had pasta in months. I don't eat dessert. I eat as clean as I possibly can. I drink boat loads of water because I threw out all the Dr. Pepper. Good for you if your body bounced right back. Even six month PP, your tummy looked amazing. But that's not realistic. There are a ton of things that factor into it, and every body is individual in the way it changes. Some of us get stretch marks, lucky you, you didn't. Some of us have abnormal swelling, some of our abs separate. There are SO MANY conditions that obviously didn't affect you. Maybe your pregnancy wasn't perfect, but your body damn sure wasn't as "changed" as the rest of ours. So for you to throw up pics of your great body and say, "Hey look at me, kids don't mess up your body. Just eat right and exercise" well, that IS kind of offensive. And honestly, it sparks a little jealousy. It's also kind of like false advertising...
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    for the record, OP, I appreciated this post. I have seen mama's who are pregnant go into utter fear that they will never ever have a "decent" body again. It's not the case. No one is doomed. Yeah, things happen- stretch marks and scars and what not... but it's not a fate for everyone... and even if it happens, it's not the end of your life of fitness.

Some women do believe that they should just give up because "pregnancy ruined my body." I think OP's point was to give a voice to counteract that.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    by "let yourself go", believe it or not i didn't mean 'end up looking like anything other than me'. hahaha. you guys are too funny. I am referring to the women who dont even try. the women who are self described as being "fat", who complain about being overweight/out of shape, the women who HATE their body and yet eat donuts, drink milkshakes, and sit on their *kitten* because they're moms and that what moms do. i have a relative who was pregnant at the same time as i was. we started off the same. same height, same weight. she gained three times as much weight as i did during pregnancy. she said how she was going to 'enjoy' her pregnancy and eat whatever she wanted. i didn't do this. after delivery, she took it easy and still does. i didn't do this. she says things like, "i'd rather have my child and hate my body than love my body and not have my child". i say you can have both: a body you can be proud of AND children. it's not one or the other.

and yes, i realize that individual results may vary. as long as you do the best you can, that's all that matters.

But you DO realize, don't you, that we're all here because we ARE trying? And this might just be why so many have found your post to be, hmmm, how shall I say this nicely, "not very helpful or motivating."

This, exactly. Maybe the reason this thread is blowing up this way is because the audience you're posting to is NOT sitting around eating donuts and milkshakes, letting themselves go. Personally, I'm busting *kitten* every day, sweating, pushing myself to new limits. I haven't had pasta in months. I don't eat dessert. I eat as clean as I possibly can. I drink boat loads of water because I threw out all the Dr. Pepper. Good for you if your body bounced right back. Even six month PP, your tummy looked amazing. But that's not realistic. There are a ton of things that factor into it, and every body is individual in the way it changes. Some of us get stretch marks, lucky you, you didn't. Some of us have abnormal swelling, some of our abs separate. There are SO MANY conditions that obviously didn't affect you. Maybe your pregnancy wasn't perfect, but your body damn sure wasn't as "changed" as the rest of ours. So for you to throw up pics of your great body and say, "Hey look at me, kids don't mess up your body. Just eat right and exercise" well, that IS kind of offensive. And honestly, it sparks a little jealousy. It's also kind of like false advertising...

FYI, MFP forums come up on google searches too.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is that lucky.

However I'm pretty lucky. I've had 3 and have a nice stomach.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I agree that pregnancy should not be thought of as "ruining" your body, but it sure as heck will change it. I have four lovely children ranging in age from 7 years to 15 years (I was 26 with my first and 34 with my last one) and I will NEVER have my post baby body back. And it's not because I let myself go. It's because when you stretch something out that many times, for that long a time, it ain't going back. And after two babies that weighed 9.5 lbs each, I have stretch marks and a "pooch", and probably always will. I've been working out and I've lost 45 lbs of leftover fat over the year. Is the pooch smaller? Yes. Will it ever go away? Probably not. Do I give a d*mn? Not especially. I like my new body, stretch marks, pooch and all. Because it's a lot stronger and fitter than my pre-baby "skinny-fat" wimpy little body ever was.
This discussion has been closed.