pregnancy doesn't "ruin" your body...

Options

Replies

• caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have to say, it really ruined mine. I weighed 115 lbs when I got pregnant; I did put on a little too much weight (I put on about 40 lbs, though my doctor says the first 15 of that wouldn't count since I was underweight for my height at the time), but that wasn't what ruined it. My belly was HUGE - I lost nearly 40 lbs when I gave birth, I was carrying around that much water - and my boobs went from a 34C to a 38G almost overnight when I started nursing. The breast volume increase nearly tore the skin on my breasts and the stretch marks it left were so bad that it took 3 or 4 years for them to stop being nearly see-through. Same with the stretch marks on the sides of my belly. My son is 16 and the stretch marks on my sides are still awful. If you think your body can bounce back from that kind of abuse to its original form... well, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe yours could, but mine sure couldn't.

I have to agree with this^^ Not everyone is the same
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    also very sweet to discuss your mother's boobs on the internet with strangers.

I was back to take up for you. This disappoints.

This :( I had a whole spiel planned on the positive intent of the OP and I think I'll just keep it.

Same here.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    by "let yourself go", believe it or not i didn't mean 'end up looking like anything other than me'. hahaha. you guys are too funny. I am referring to the women who dont even try. the women who are self described as being "fat", who complain about being overweight/out of shape, the women who HATE their body and yet eat donuts, drink milkshakes, and sit on their *kitten* because they're moms and that what moms do. i have a relative who was pregnant at the same time as i was. we started off the same. same height, same weight. she gained three times as much weight as i did during pregnancy. she said how she was going to 'enjoy' her pregnancy and eat whatever she wanted. i didn't do this. after delivery, she took it easy and still does. i didn't do this. she says things like, "i'd rather have my child and hate my body than love my body and not have my child". i say you can have both: a body you can be proud of AND children. it's not one or the other.

and yes, i realize that individual results may vary. as long as you do the best you can, that's all that matters.

Okay I changed my mind and now I'll take up for you again. But you have to keep making sense and no more mean boob comments or I'm outta here.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Oh and I just wanted to say, my stretch marks don't bother me at all. It is just the fat on my body I am currently losing that has bothered me. Stretch marks, meh, I could carless. No one is going to see it other than me and my hubby. :P
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    by "let yourself go", believe it or not i didn't mean 'end up looking like anything other than me'. hahaha. you guys are too funny. I am referring to the women who dont even try. the women who are self described as being "fat", who complain about being overweight/out of shape, the women who HATE their body and yet eat donuts, drink milkshakes, and sit on their *kitten* because they're moms and that what moms do. i have a relative who was pregnant at the same time as i was. we started off the same. same height, same weight. she gained three times as much weight as i did during pregnancy. she said how she was going to 'enjoy' her pregnancy and eat whatever she wanted. i didn't do this. after delivery, she took it easy and still does. i didn't do this. she says things like, "i'd rather have my child and hate my body than love my body and not have my child". i say you can have both: a body you can be proud of AND children. it's not one or the other.

and yes, i realize that individual results may vary. as long as you do the best you can, that's all that matters.

But you DO realize, don't you, that we're all here because we ARE trying? And this might just be why so many have found your post to be, hmmm, how shall I say this nicely, "not very helpful or motivating."
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    vile thread title. vile attitude. the attractive body isn't enough to compensate.

stretchmarks aren't exercised away.
    diastasis recti can't be exercised away.
    the nerve damage that makes it difficult to orgasm isn't exercised away.

and none of the above were caused by letting myself go.

but yay you, etc. it's always nice to see someone belittle other people's issues.

Exactly.

Come back to us after you've had at least 3 children. My body bounced back fairly well after my first, but 3 children on, I can exercise 24/7 my stretched out belly skin ain't going anywhere.

Stop preaching of things you know so little about.
  • kawickham85
    kawickham85 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    mean boob comments? i hope no one is on a forum somewhere discussing my boobs with strangers. if anyone is going to discuss my boobs, it ought to be me.
  • kawickham85
    Options
    i dont want to have three children. the idea of children outnumbering the parents freak me out.
  • Rhiana1188
    Rhiana1188 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on having the genetics that allow you to be stretchmark free and for not having your abdominal muscles separate. :flowerforyou:

Lmao!
    Seriously, though.
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The OP pics are hope and all the other comments are scaring the he** out of me. I'm terrified of doing all this work. Losing over 100 lbs, finally have a decent body for once in my life and then ... mangle it with a pregnancy. this is seriously unfair.

Don't be scared. When you decided to become a mom you won't care what pregnancy will do to your body all you will care about is that little kid that you somehow made and will spend the rest of your life trying to protect.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!
  • Mamahana82
    Mamahana82 Posts: 64
    Options
    i based it off of many people in my family along with many friends. i hate it when i see people call themselves fat or talk bad about their bodies and not do anything about it. i hate it more when said person is a mother and there are children around who can hear them. i grew up with a mom who always called herself 'fat' and 'gross'. when i would try to help her (even as a teen) by making dinner that is low cal and showing her how good it was, she took the, 'i'll just stick with what i'm doing' approach. i see this A LOT. it is annoying.

I don't assume to know what motivates every individual to work for a healthy lifestyle, but I will say that it is a very tricky thing to do--to insert yourself into another person's weight loss endeavors where it wasn't wanted. Also, there is a grand canyon between having your body revert to pre-pregnancy status and adopting a healthy lifestyle that will empower you emotionally and physically, stretch marks, saggy boobs, and wider hips be damned.
  • kawickham85
    Options
    The OP pics are hope and all the other comments are scaring the he** out of me. I'm terrified of doing all this work. Losing over 100 lbs, finally have a decent body for once in my life and then ... mangle it with a pregnancy. this is seriously unfair.

Don't be scared. When you decided to become a mom you won't care what pregnancy will do to your body all you will care about is that little kid that you somehow made and will spend the rest of your life trying to protect.

that's quite the generalization. of course you'll care what kind of body you'll end up with. or at least you should care. you only get one body, after all
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I'm going to keep my mouth closed so I don't get a strike. :grumble:

me too

Me three!!

Me four
  • angiebee428
    angiebee428 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nice belly. You are lucky. I had my first at age 30 and belly is not so lucky. 16 months after csection baby and well I don't like my belly and wouldn't wanna post a pic of it. Protruding and poochy belly and white, squiggly stretch marks under belly button area.

I have the same problem...first baby at age 18...then pregnant again at 29 - I gained SO much & with the constant up & down over the years - fat seems "permanently planted" on my body. The pouches of fat & cellulite wont go away. Just started a more intense workout, circuit training/cardio/strength mix in hopes to get rid of it...I guess we will see.
  • Mamahana82
    Mamahana82 Posts: 64
    Options

that's quite the generalization. of course you'll care what kind of body you'll end up with. or at least you should care. you only get one body, after all

:laugh: :laugh: Yes. Apparently we all have OP's body.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am a Mommy, damnit! Therefore I have the right to sit upon my Judgy McJudgerson throne in my Ivory tower with the other Mommies!

The weather is FABULOUS up here. I see why you all hang out up here.

*to the OP - I am being totally sarcastic. I understand what you're saying, and you're right. Good on you for taking care of yourself during what can be a very difficult time. God knows I didn't, but I am now, so that's all that matters*

*to the other "Mommies" - ISN'T THE WEATHER UP HERE IN THIS IVORY TOWER FABBBUULLLOUUUUSS?!*

I have to say, I share Lea's thoughts :drinker: :smokin:
    recently, i heard someone say they dont want kids because they dont want their body to be 'ruined'. i posted this to show people that having kids does not automatically ruin your body

And THIS is what I heard BEFORE the OP had to say it.....

Ladies, check the hormones & reel in some crazy
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It will treat every body differently. I didn't gain any stretch marks from mine but my sister-in-law got some massive tiger striping. My breasts haven't sagged but her pancaked. I'm glad your pregnancy didn't change your body too much but it will vary greatly from person to person.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Wow.
    Motherhood.
    Body image issues.

What could go wrong in a thread like this?

LOL...only women.

Sigh my gender sometimes :grumble:
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents:

No pregnancy doesn't "ruin" your body. I changes it because you are growing a human being from scratch. Think about it. Growing a human being. Everything this child needs its getting from you and it takes its toll. While the growing may be hard the exit can be down right ugly for some (namely C-Sections and the like). My C-Section (after 13 hrs of labor) resulted in nerve damage in my abdomen so bad that I am just now (3/4 years later) getting feeling back. But you know what? ALL WORTH IT... Lets face it we would go thru hell for out kids and smack the devil himself if needed. So in the end I don't care if I come out looking like a busted can of biscuits for the sake of my kiddo. He's worth it.
This discussion has been closed.