Couch to 5k Anyone?

Options

Replies

• jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Started week two and it went great! Still cant possibly imagine myself running for 30 mins straight.! i just keep telling myself baby steps.....

Way to go Shari! And Yay Julie for bustin out week 3. You go girls!

Keep it up everybody!!! And congrats to those who have finished! kudos to you!

I felt the same way when I started the C25K program. It was difficult for me to see myself running for 30 minutes after only 9 weeks of training. I have to admit that I did repeat week 4 when the final run didn't go as easily as I would have liked, but I stuck it out and graduated a few weeks ago.

Now I'm working my way through the program again to work on speed. During the running portions this go around I sprint as fast as I can then during the walking portions I slow to a jog, no actual walking except for during the warm-up and cool-down. I'm doing intervals according to the C25K program two days a week alternating sprinting and jogging then doing a normal long run (30 minutes for me is still a long run) on the third run day.

This Wednesday and Friday I'll be doing Days 1 and 2 of week 3 then on next Sunday a normal 30 minute run. I'm already seeing an improvement in my speed, this week I ran my fastest mile ever at 8 minutes 45 seconds according to my nike+ gear. My average pace now is around 9 minutes per mile. So it can be done, don't lose faith. If I can do it anyone can.
  • shari253
    shari253 Posts: 202
    Options
    jkingery, clever way to work on speed!
  • JulieSue
    JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yes JrKingery that is a clever thing to do!!! If I ever get to graduation then I may most def try that!!! ;)) thanks so much!!!!
  • quirkyone
    quirkyone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm a newbie around here, but I'm determined to make it through th C25K program and need someone to hold me accountable! I was "dared" to join a Biggest Loser-style competition with some co-workers earlier this year and started myself on a regular (more-or-less!) routine of swimming, weight training and intervals, typically on the elliptical. I've lost about 70 lbs since January and can't imagine being as sedentary as I was. I started the C25K back in February, but I just wasn't enjoying the running that much. I could DO it, but I didn't want to start hating working out,, so I stopped. A couple weeks ago I decided to give it another try and here I am.

Since I'd been doing interval training already, I just moved over to the treadmill and walk-jogged at what seemed like a comfortable workout, then compared my durations to the C25K program to figure out a reasonable starting point. It was roughly Week 3, so that's where I started. Today I just finished what I hope will be my last day on Week 3. I jogged at 5.7 MPH for the first two intervals, then 6.0 for the rest. I also added an extra 90 seconds of jogging because I still had a bit of energy at the end of the last 3 minute segment.

Anyway, I doubt that Week 4 will be as easy as today's workout felt. Any suggestions? I seem to run less comfortably at a slower speed, so I'm reluctant to slow the jogging interval down too much.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    welcome, quirkyone! I did Day 1 of Week 9 today and it went well. I jog really slow, though, I think. I was at 5 mph to start, then I ran 10 minutes at 5.5 and then I backed it off to 5.3 until the last 3 minutes, which I did at 6mph.
    I was on the treadmill and it said I went 2.6 miles in the 30 minutes of jogging.
    I still can't really believe I am running for 30 minutes straight. I tried to jog on the treadmill before and rarely got over 5 minutes.
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    BUMP 4 L8ter :)
  • shari253
    Options
    Welcome quirkytone! I can't give you any advice cuz I'm new to this, but congrats on your progress so far. Keep posting!
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Check out this awesomeness...while out on my walk I saw a runner headed towards me, he stops me and says thank you...not sure who he is and why he said that, he reminded me that he stopped me a little over a month ago to find out why I often ran and walked back and forth so I told him I was doing couch to 5k and off I went. Appearently he went inside and looked it up and is now on week 3!!! Woot woot!!
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hurray! Hurray!! Hurray!!! I just completed Week 5, Day 3 - which is a 20 min run (no walking intervals)!!

I normally run Monday mornings, but I couldn't get my MP3 player working, and I didn't think I could do it on my treadmill at home with no music or tv for distractions. So, after Pilates class tonight, I jumped on the the treadmill at the gym, and did my run while 'reading' House Hunters (forgot my headphones again). It was tough, and I had to talk myself through some of it, especially on the commercials, but I kept thinking of my MFP C25k buddies, and how much I wanted to be able to post that "I DID IT"!!

So here I am: "I DID IT!" The cool thing about having done 20 min straight is that going back to intervals seems almost like a bit of a break! :wink:

Shari, I used the Robert Ullrey podcasts the first week, but then my MP3 player troubles started... I would LOVE to have my own music to run to, so I'll have to do something about that soon!

JulieSue - yahoo on getting through your 3 min runs! I very rarely look ahead to see what the following week(s) has in store for me, I just focus on one workout at a time. Get through this week's 3 minute runs, then worry about next week when the time comes. You will be ok!

Welcome quirkyone - and congrats on your phenomenal weight loss!! I hope you're loving the 'new' you! You must be kicking butt on that competition!

Bru - more of your awesomeness - you are inspiring complete strangers with your life transformation! WOW!

jr - you're doing great on the speed work! Love hearing your updates. Has it really sunk in yet, that you're a 'RUNNER' now?!

Rachel - hope week 2 is going well for you. Keep us updated on your progress!
  • shari253
    Options
    Hi All, I'm about to head out and do W2D2. Yesterday a dog trainer worked with me to get my younger larger dog to stay very nicely right beside me as I walk or jog, so I am excited to work on that, BUT I have another small old dog with a heart murmur and I want him to have fun too... So I am thinking of taking them both to an off leash dog park and running/walking around in a small area so the little older guy can be at his own pace... Hmmmm... As I keep this up and become a "runner" I might have to get a stroller to put the little old man in, lol!

I will report back after my run.

Congrats to everyone who is keeping up with their programs. You guys all inspire me!
  • shari253
    Options
    Hi All, I'm about to head out and do W2D2. Yesterday a dog trainer worked with me to get my younger larger dog to stay very nicely right beside me as I walk or jog, so I am excited to work on that, BUT I have another small old dog with a heart murmur and I want him to have fun too... So I am thinking of taking them both to an off leash dog park and running/walking around in a small area so the little older guy can be at his own pace... Hmmmm... As I keep this up and become a "runner" I might have to get a stroller to put the little old man in, lol!

I will report back after my run.

Congrats to everyone who is keeping up with their programs. You guys all inspire me!
  • JulieSue
    JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    DMG!! yeah I know I shouldnt look ahead at all but sometimes I cant help myself!!!! ;)) PLUS I made myself a chart so I can make smileys or check marks when I complete a level and its so easy to go see what you are doing or someone else is doing when they just put W?D?.....I love getting on here and seeing what you will say to me!!! and YAY congrats on finishing your run on the treadmill!! while reading!!! my parents are deaf soo I grew up "reading" the words on the screen and now I have gotten so used to it that I prefer having my CC on but not my man soooo its not on all that often!!! ;)) but YAY!!!! on Week 5 soo now you can go right to Week 6!!! ;)) and I agree with you it will seem like a break!!!

and I want you all to know that reading your posts is such an inspirtation to me and it helps me to keep on running!! mainly so I can come here and IM my future sister in law and bestie!!! and say I DID IT!!! We are running a 5K in November soo we got to get ready!!! soo thanks everyone for everything that you are doing for me!!! and Happy Running!!!

Well today I completed Week 3 Run 2!!! :)) and I think I got farther on my runs!!! Right before the cool down walk I got farther on the street!!! and I turned around at the same intersection as Sunday...soo YAY!!! I am not sure why the program has us walking 8 minutes in a row!! soo today I did the whole process and when I got the cool down walk (after the 3 minutes I had already walked) I ran 2 more minutes!!! then I cooled down the last 3 minutes!!! It felt great!!! :)) I am going to go camping this weekend but plan on keeping up with my runs!!! I hope to finish Week 3 on Friday and if I have cell phone service then I will put it on my diary but if not I will write it down to add it later on!!! Then on Sunday I will start Week 4!!! ;)) soo I will for sure be back on Monday to update my MFP and let you all know how it goes!!! :))

Happy Running!!!!
  • shari253
    Options
    Just finished W2D2!!! Yay, first time no 1's. (like W1 or D1) I took both dogs to the dog park and ran/walked back and forth on a shady straightaway so my old guy could keep me in sight and not feel he had to run after me. It was pretty easy because it was flat and I'm used to hills. I saw a lady pushing her cats in a little caged stroller from a site called either Kitty Walk or Walk Kitty. I am going to check it out.

Keep up the great work everyone!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 9 day 2. It was ok, not as easy as Tuesday, but is crazy to me that I can look at the timer and think, oh, 20 minutes, only 10 to go. ha! I never thought I would think like that.
    So close to graduation! still, I don't think I will consider it a success until I can run 5k in 30 minutes.
  • shari253
    Options
    Congrats on being to week 9!
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hi JulieSue - hope you have fun camping! Sometimes it's hard to change your lifestyle enough to fit in the runs no matter what, so I'm impressed that you are planning to run while camping! If you start thinking about skipping it, just think of all of us, and how proud of you that we'll be when you come back and tell us "I did it"! Is your sis-in-law training with you for your Nov run (is she doing C25k too)? I have a 5k run the first weekend in October (Run for the Cure), so that helps keep me motivated. I've always been interested in the deaf culture. I assume you must know sign language - it's too bad we didn't know each other in real-life, you could teach me how to sign! I've always wanted to learn, but never got past the alphabet on my own... :happy:

I've been feeling yucky the last few days, and still not sure if it's allergies or a cold. I skipped both my W6 run and my bodyflow class yesterday, but plan to get back on track on Saturday - the kids love coming to the gym with me on Saturday mornings, and it's definitely my favorite workout of the week for me. I just hope I can breathe better by then!

Shari - that's so cute about running with your dogs, and letting the old guy 'watch'...

asjerven - how far are you running in 30 minutes right now? At my current pace, I'd barely cover 4k, so I have some speed work to do too, but hey, one step at a time! Running 30 minutes is a HUGE accomplishment! You're many miles from where you started from (literally!) :laugh:
  • quirkyone
    quirkyone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome, everyone. For the record, I *did* kick butt in the weight loss contest: 1st place woman and only a fraction of a pound off from 1st place overall. :happy:

Yesterday was W4D1 and it wasn't bad at all. I slowed way down to 5.2 MPH so I had the confidence to make it through the whole workout. I flaked out towards the end and thought the last interval was a short one so I took off at 6 MPH. Oops! After two minutes I realized I was actually on another 5-minute jog and slowed back down to 5.2 MPH. As of now, I'm actually looking forward to W4D2. I'm moving outside for that one, which is usually harder for me than the treadmill. We'll see how it goes.
  • wmchick81
    wmchick81 Posts: 273
    Options
    DMG you have officially passed me now! I took a week and a half off because of the bone marrow biopsy, so will probably go back to week 4. I guess I could try W5D1 just to see if I can still do it, but I'm not so sure. I plan on getting back to the gym/exercise for the first time tomorrow after my daughter goes back to her father. Hopefully it won't be too painful. I'm going back to work (I'm a teacher) Monday, so I need to get back into my routine of working out and working full time.
  • shari253
    Options
    Just posting my committment to do W2D3 sometime today. I will report back when done.
  • shari253
    Options
    Just finished W2D3! Yay! Two weeks down, 7 to go! I pushed myself harder than usual today.