Couch to 5k Anyone?

Options

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    well, wmchick81, the first week of Gateway to 8k is walk 1 minute, jog 7 and you do that 4 times, so I am sure you would be fine! I didn't even get 3 miles! 4.3 miles is great, but don't push it too hard:)
  • JulieSue
    JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!!! Today I finished Week 6!!! I ran for 25 minutes straight!!! I wonder how far I am really running???? On Saturday I did W6D1 on a treadmill (run 5 mins, walk 3 mins, jog 8 mins, walk 3 mins run 5 mins) and I went 2.5 miles...and I was running 6.0 (some 5.5) and walking 3.0 to 3.5?? soo who knows??? AND when I track my route on runnersworld.com it said my outside route was 2.5 miles but today I had to add some more becuz it was longer...soooo I shall check that out!!! :)) I am excited these last 3 weeks will be hard tho im sure!!!

I cant decide if I wanna restart this program to work on speed or do 8K???
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Just started to get back into running again so i thought id start up couch to 5k as ive read so many stories about how good it is. I used to be able to run for 20 min straight but my god im so unfit! I just got back from week 1 day 1 and i am pretty tired out. Hopefully my fitness comes back and it will become easier :)
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My 20 minutes straight run (W5D3) is scheduled for in the morning. I have 2 ball games tonight and the next morning after ball games my ankles always hurt so I hope that does not affect me too much.

I have told myself I can not punk out on this run so I hope I can kick myself in the butt enough tomorrow.

Wish me luck
  • mommy2boys
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new to this program, just finished Week 1 but wanted to congratulate everyone for how well they're doing & wish you all good luck with the program. I've never been a runner but after completing week 1 I feel alot better than I thought I would & I actually don't dread the runs at all! I didn't read through all of the posts but was just wondering how many calories you burn? I tried logging it in as 20 min brisk walk & 10 min jog & came up with 160 something calories but a girlfriend of mine is doing it too & has a Body Bugg & it's saying she burns 328 calories? Just curious how everyone logs it in. Thanks so much!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Started week 4 today and it went fine. I could actually see getting to run the distance. It felt good! Fun to see all the people giving this a try. I just say stick with it! It seems that conquering one level at a time is working for those who are having difficulty. We will all get there eventually!! I especially like hearing about those who made their 5K!

I am logging the calories by the amount of total time I run and walk. It would be interesting to hear from those who are wearing a HRM. I like our local park that has a one mile lap. It gives me a good idea of my speed and distance! See you all n a couple days!
  • blbond82
    Options
    I finished W4 on Tuesday but have decided to repeat it before moving to W5. I was having problems during W4 with my calf and hip muscles tightening up and wanting to cramp so I am going to focus on really good stretching during my repeat week.
  • Umpire57
    Options
    W5D3 Complete! - The only change I made was to do it with no incline at all. In the end, I did the warm up walk then the 20 then ran through the cool down as well before doing a cool down afterwards. I ended up with 4.1 miles!
  • wmchick81
    Options
    I got over my anxiety and attempted W5D3 this morning. I was actually able to do it (with three stops for water). I had to slow my speed down to 5.0-5.5 in order to complete it. I was very proud of myself though for being able to get through it. The rest of my hour on the treadmill was spent doing walk/jog intervals.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Options
    Second day of week 4. Feeling pretty good. Even ran a little extra after my cool down. This might be working!!. Sure wish my hams and butt wouldn't feel so tight!! (I'd rather have them look tight!) :laugh: :laugh:
  • wootsie
    Options
    Ok, I am about to start this program... I have to be able to run 2 miles in 24 minutes to pass PT requirements. I have NEVER been fast, not even when I was at my healthest. Will this help me with speed?
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am about to start this program... I have to be able to run 2 miles in 24 minutes to pass PT requirements. I have NEVER been fast, not even when I was at my healthest. Will this help me with speed?

It will. The pace set up with the C25K program is supposed to be close to a 10 minute mile, although the focus is really to get yourself into the shape to be able to run for 30 minutes by the end of the program, speed will come along as you train more.

Like anything else, your results will vary depending on the effort you put into it.

When I started the program I could barely finish week one and the one minute runs. I graduated two months ago and now run 5 days a week. Today I ran a 5K (3.1 miles) in 26 minutes 45 seconds, my best time yet and a full 3 minutes off of my graduation time.

My fastest 2 mile time so far is 17 minutes flat, far under the minimum PT requirements (Army) for my age group. I can honestly say that without going through the C25K program I would probably have given up on running long ago.
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    wmchick - yay for you for getting over that mental-block and completing W5D3!!! Can you unblock me too??

The 5k that I was training for is this coming Sunday. I don't know how to prepare myself anymore, since I dropped my C25k in the middle of Week 6 about a month ago. I guess I can just try to power through it, or try running intervals with walk breaks? I'm afraid I'll totally wimp out and walk the whole thing... Any suggestions? I'm really very mad at myself for not preparing myself as well as I wanted to.

JulieSue, you've officially passed me - congratulations!! I guess I need to get my butt to the treadmill and work through that drasted W6D3 to keep up with you! :smile:

I have been on a serious decline the last month, and am not sure how to get back up the slippery slope... I have missed posting with you all... Keep up the great work!
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Week 6 Day 1 Complete! - Even ran through the "cool down" walk portion and then did my cool down afterwards. - T minus 47 days till my first 5k
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 day 3. I run Mon&Tues skip Wednesday and run Thurs & Fri and take a break on the weekends. I do workout on my off days, but C25K leaves my knees hurting so I take a break to prevent injuries. I've always wanted to be a runner, but after a knee injury was told that I will never be a runner - I've decided they were wrong and I'll decide what I will be. So, I'm slow going, but at least I'm going.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Options
    Finished week 4 today! Still felt good! I'm a little excited and almost feel like moving thru at a faster pace but I want to be careful not to hurt myself!! Always better slow than not at all!

Dmgaloha -- Just DO it!! You can do the 5K. Remember to take it at your own pace. It might be a good starting point to rev up your C25K program again!
  • wmchick81
    Options
    Finished W6D1 today. I was finally able to make it through the run intervals without stopping AT ALL. I did the 5 mins, 8 mins, and 5 mins without slowing down to a walk. I was very impressed with myself! Now if only I can make it 20+ minutes without walking!

DMG- you can do it!!!! I don't have suggestions because I am not the best runner!
  • _holly
    Options
    Hey,
    I'm new around here, just started c25k today.
    I have never been physically fit in my life and haven't broken into a run since year 10 PE- so 2004.
    So I only managed 3.5 of the running intervals today, but I think I'm okay with that. Thats 3.5 mins of running more than I've done in 6 years!! Will try again on thursday, hopefully aim to run 4 or more of them. I think I'll be on week one for a bit longer than one week! I'm using Robert Ullrey's podcasts, I need somebody to yell at me, haha.
    I've read back a little in the thread and you all seem very inspirational! Can't wait to get to the level you guys are at!
  • firstcampgirl
    Options
    Loving reading all of these stories!

I was lurking and then looked up couch to 5k. I downloaded some fun music at runningintoshape.com and podrunner stuff. I have done week 1 twice. I can't believe that I love it. I have always said that I HATE RUNNING. I have a marathon runner friend and I have always thought, I could never do that, would never want to.

Honestly, I am a little bummed that today is a rest day and I should not run until tomorrow. I am trying to really stick to the program so that I don't over do it.

I signed up for a 5K in december. Looking forward to my kids seeing me do it.
  • quirkyone
    quirkyone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm still sticking to running, but not so strictly to the C25K program. Saturday's workout was 5 min walk, 25 min jog, 2 min walk, 5 min jog, 5 min jog, 2 in walk, 4 min jog. I started clocking my time after my warmup walk and did 3.1 miles in 38:02 minutes.

Yesterday I just pulled out the W6D1 podrunner podcast. I just couldn't face a harder workout in the rain!

I'm about to sign up for my first 5K. I was planning to do one in November, but there's one at the end of October that starts just down the street from my house. It does have a pretty evil hill at the end, but if I'm feeling particularly wimpy that day, I can always just duck out and hide at home!