Couch to 5k Anyone?

Options

Replies

• dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I finally faced my treadmill last night. I'm due for a 25 min run, which I have been avoiding like the plague, so instead I decided to do a trial 5k to see what my time would be on the treadmill.

I did a 5 minute warmup, then a 10 min run, followed by intervals of 5 min walk / 5 min run for a total of 25 min run.
    Warmup 5min, R10, W5, R5, W5, R5, W5, R5, Cooldown 10min

I completed the 5k in 45:40, so at least I have a baseline to try to beat on Sunday.
  • frogjogger
    Options
    FYI--You can get a Couch to 5K app for your I-Phone.
  • wmchick81
    Options
    W6D2 done this morning. I got through the first 10 minutes of running with no problem. The second interval I had to stop in the middle and chug my water. My face was on fire, and I was sweating like crazy. I don't think I will attempt the 25 jog next time. Think I will have to stay at W6D2 again.

WTG DMG- glad to see you are running again :-)
  • msuamber
    msuamber Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K a few weeks ago. I'm stretching my weeks out though. I did 3 weeks of week 1 just to get into the groove, I also up'd my speed each week. I'm about to start my week 2 re-do as well. Time to up the speed again. I'm NOT a runner so I'm starting at a jog really - 4.8 speed. I'm sure someone out there can walk that! I'm not interested in speed at this point, I'm interested in completing this without falling off the treadmil and swearing off exercise for another 10 years! My goal is to sign up for and complete a 5K in the early spring. Wish me luck!
  • ashiteru
    Options
    HI ! WHAT IS THIS COUCH TO 5K? IS IT A VIDEO,DO I GET IT ON LINE IS IT A TAPE? JUST CURIOUS IF U DONT MIND SHARING! THANKS
  • ashiteru
    Options
    I WOULD LOVE SOME INFO ON WHAT YALLARE TaLKING ABOUT , IS IT A TAPE, OUTSIDE HOW DO I GET IT WHAT ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS? SOUNDS LIKE GREAT CARDIO! EAGER FOR A CHANGE! I AM TRING TO COLLECT AS MANY NEW IDEAS AS POSSIBLE! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE
  • wmchick81
    Options
    a****eru- it is either an APP for the droid, iPhone, or iTouch, or you can get it as a podcast. Some people use it running outdoors. Personally I use it on the treadmill.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Day 1 one week 5. Went fine. Wondering what running on Day 3 for 20 minutes will be like?? Did some Yoga this morning (first time in my life!) Helped my soreness a lot!

My schedule is going to make staying on track a little difficult this weekend. Just gonna do my best!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Options
    I WOULD LOVE SOME INFO ON WHAT YALLARE TaLKING ABOUT , IS IT A TAPE, OUTSIDE HOW DO I GET IT WHAT ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS? SOUNDS LIKE GREAT CARDIO! EAGER FOR A CHANGE! I AM TRING TO COLLECT AS MANY NEW IDEAS AS POSSIBLE! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE

Google Couch 2 5K and you will learn all about it! I'm loving it!
  • JulieSue
    JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! I am still here just took a break UGH and not one I wanted to take but I have just been super busy and one thing after another has just caused me to not be able to complete my runs but I am back and plan on doing Week 7 Day 1 today....gosh I hope I can complete it since its been about a week or more since Week 6 Day 3....wish me luck...maybe I should go back and complete Week 6 again??? any thoughts???
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Week 7 Day 1 of C25k Complete - I think I am going to take it off the treadmill and to the road in the morning. Not 100% sure on that yet.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Options
    Week 5 Day 2 today.. I made it through the 8 minute runs no problem. Really wonder about the 20 minutes coming up next!

JulieSue if I were you (A little poem:happy: ) I would try to stay on track. If you struggle just back off a bit to be able to finish and work through it again!
  • SabrinaM85
    Options
    I just did W1D1 last Thursday. I am planning to do D1 again tomorrow (today I was not feeling well) and have my regular training days on Mon, Wed, Friday. I am also doing the 30 day shred daily for a challenge I am in.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Last night was week 1, day 1 for me. I've tried this program before and ended up with shin splints.

I used to get shin splints a lot in highschool and my physical therapist gave me the best stretch for it:

Put a tennis ball in a sock and roll the bottom of your foot over it, particularly massaging your arches and balls of your feet.

Haven't had them since:smile:
  • JulieSue
    JulieSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hoosiermomma (I may have misspelled that) but I went ahead and did Week 7 Day 1 and completed it!!! I ran for the 25 minutes straight....it may have not been as fast as it was before on Week 6 Day 3 but never the less I did it!!!!! ;)) YAY!!! now I am feeling great and ready for Wednesdays run!!!! :))
  • Hoosiermomma
    Options
    Hoosiermomma (I may have misspelled that) but I went ahead and did Week 7 Day 1 and completed it!!! I ran for the 25 minutes straight....it may have not been as fast as it was before on Week 6 Day 3 but never the less I did it!!!!! ;)) YAY!!! now I am feeling great and ready for Wednesdays run!!!! :))

Good for you!! I am planning to do my best on the 20 minute run coming up!
  • wmchick81
    wmchick81 Posts: 273
    Options
    W6D3 done! I did slow down a few times to drink water and to retie my shoes. I am not sure if I'll ever be able to do it without stopping or pausing. I am just pleased that I have come as far as I have. I couldn't even run for 5 minutes let alone even close to 20 minutes.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Options
    WooHoo made it through the 20 minute run of week 5. Amazingly the 20 minutes seemed long but I really wasn't all that tired! Had to go on my own, my I-pod and thus my running coach, was left in another car.:frown: It will be interesting to see if the music makes the time go faster for me next time. Yoga tomorrow morning. hope it works out the kinks!
  • Myband78
    Options
    I started week 2 day 1 on Monday. So far so good!
    It's a bit tough but I'm going all the way to the end.
  • wmchick81
    wmchick81 Posts: 273
    Options
    W7D1- had a rough time with the 25 minutes b/c my stomach was bothering me. I woke up with a stomach ache but decided to attempt my run anyway. I managed to run/jog/walk for an hour but had to keep getting off the treadmill. TMI- sorry!! I am going to attempt it again tomorrow with less stopping.