Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I am doing my 5x5's with 315lbs now.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    45lbs is an unloaded barbell. Lol. How is that heavy?

my thoughts exactly

Obnoxious much?
    Considering that squats start out with your body weight, 45 lbs is quite a bit less than that. That would be like saying I'm doing heavy curls by drinking from a 32 oz water bottle that doesn't even weigh as much as my arm.

Squats without any weight isn't really that much of an "exercise." I do that like 100 times a day as a matter of normal daily activity, every time I stand up from a chair. Doing an extra dozen isn't going to make a difference.

The two comments were entirely obnoxious and self-serving. Heavy lifting, in particular in the beginning, is subjective to the individual doing the lifting. Get over the 'I am a better heavy-lifter' than you attitude. Or continue sounding like an arrogant and ignorant individual. Whatever.
    I was explaining why 45 lbs is not "heavy" for squats. Just because the other two were obnoxious about it doesn't mean they're wrong.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    If your legs hurt after squats it's almost certainly due to improper form. Squats are awesome, but they are tough to do correctly. There's a lot going on. The good news is there's only one or two main points to really worry about when starting.

1: Don't let your knees go past your toes. You do this by angling your toes outward and driving your hips back.
    2: Keep the weight of the bar over your heels. You should be able to lift your toes off the ground.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

Being that I don't have a barbell bar, and I went from doing squats with a 20 lb dumbbell a few months ago to 45 lbs in a backpack now, I would qualify that as heavy. I work with what I have.

Also didn't ask for snark.

Do you think i care about your opinion? No probably not skrillex
    Is 45 pounds heavy for me? No. But it's a start, and she said she's upped her weights. Maybe it's heavy for her, you don't know what her fitness level is.
    And have some class, will you? Don't go around attacking people.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

my thoughts exactly

tumblr_me7x049Qi41qlbkes.gif
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I rotate.. I'll do leg days that are mostly dead lifts and some that are mostly squats.. and every now and then I'll see if I can still squat heavy, which I've sort of given up. 320+ is heavy for me.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think its great myself. Snarkers gonna snark I guess. I'm impressed, as I'm still having trouble squatting down very fair without anything but me to lift back up. I think perhaps some people are thinking "squats" as in by definition with big heavy barbell, and others are thinking "squats" defined by a whole bunch of body weight squats..there is a challenge going around Facebook where the very first day is something like 50 body weight squats and works up to something over 100. I think I'd rather do fewer and work up to more weight. I like the idea of doing it with a backpack at that weight..less chance of me dropping the weight on my head or the cat.

Being that I don't have a barbell bar, and I went from doing squats with a 20 lb dumbbell a few months ago to 45 lbs in a backpack now, I would qualify that as heavy. I work with what I have.

• craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Why the hell are you people attacking someone for the amount of weight they can squat?

If 45lb is heavy for her then fine, for her that is heavy. That's like the guy doing 315 telling you, oh yea well 225 isn't heavy chump!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

my thoughts exactly

Obnoxious much?
    Considering that squats start out with your body weight, 45 lbs is quite a bit less than that. That would be like saying I'm doing heavy curls by drinking from a 32 oz water bottle that doesn't even weigh as much as my arm.

Squats without any weight isn't really that much of an "exercise." I do that like 100 times a day as a matter of normal daily activity, every time I stand up from a chair. Doing an extra dozen isn't going to make a difference.

The two comments were entirely obnoxious and self-serving. Heavy lifting, in particular in the beginning, is subjective to the individual doing the lifting. Get over the 'I am a better heavy-lifter' than you attitude. Or continue sounding like an arrogant and ignorant individual. Whatever.
    I was explaining why 45 lbs is not "heavy" for squats. Just because the other two were obnoxious about it doesn't mean they're wrong.

I think the issue might be that some people are thinking of the 45 pounds as an empty barbell., and empty might equal "light." However, this is heavy for people who are just starting out, like me, and not so much for people who have advance. Everything in perspective.

I'm doing 5x5 right now, and the program TELLS you to start at 45 lbs. It also suggests to start adding weight right away, which I won't do until I get my form correct.

Either way, I'm looking forward to how good my butt will look in a few months
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Uhm, cause its heavy for her! I just started doing weighted squats in April, and just got to 50 pounds (2 25 pound dumbells). FOR ME that is heavy. Everyone starts somewhere, and the point of lifting heavy is lifting as heavy as YOU can and progressing, not whats heavy to someone else, right??? LOL

This absolutely! We all have to start somewhere :-)
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Do you think i care about your opinion? No probably not skrillex

Technically... You DID ask... When you said "How is that heavy?", notice the QUESTION mark?

What a nasty thing to say to someone.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

my thoughts exactly

Obnoxious much?

This doesn't make sense. She's still using her bodyweight, plus 45 lbs.

And to answer the OP, I'm doing squats (regular and Bulgarian split) with New Rules of Lifting for Women, and I'm going to start a 30 day challenge tonight. Starts with 50 squats, ends with 250.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

my thoughts exactly

Obnoxious much?

But they were wrong and so are you. Your analogy is full of wrong as well. She would be squatting her body weight plus the 45 pounds. Which again, for a beginner would be heavy. Christ - is this really such a difficult concept???
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    OP - about a month ago, I did the 14 day squat challenge that I found on youtube. It was lots of fun - 100 squats per day - of varying types. I have continued to do them - every day, a different kind. I have noticed my thighs, in particular responding quite nicely. Some days I add weights, other days, I do not.
  • Dgold13
    Dgold13 Posts: 14
    Options
    ......strength training wiont help me lose weight

You may want to research a little, strength training will absolutely help you loose weight
  • transparentenigma
    transparentenigma Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I've been doing squats for 20 days and my legs are getting some shape have you been squatting?

Just started incorporating squats into my exercise regime. Like lunges I avoided them like the plague. They always hurt my knees, and considering I have a bad right knee and hip, I just figured that those were two types of exercises I was not meant to do:sad: .

But guess what? After all these years, gym memberships and small personal trainer classes, I found out the reason that Squats were hurting my knees was because I was doing them wrong:ohwell: . And to think all it took was a $10 Jillian Michaels DVD to let me know, push your @$$ back when you bend, don't just go straight down, and don't let your knee extend that far in front of you.

Sounds dumb right? It's like, I should have thought of this, that instructor I went to for months should have told me this:mad: . Ah well, better late than never. Now I do squats everyday:bigsmile: ... Now all I have to do is find a way to do Lunges without my Right Knee threatening to call a lawyer on me for abuse and I'll be okay.:tongue:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

my thoughts exactly

Obnoxious much?

But they were wrong and so are you. Your analogy is full of wrong as well. She would be squatting her body weight plus the 45 pounds. Which again, for a beginner would be heavy. Christ - is this really such a difficult concept???
    Apparently it is a difficult concept. I lift "my whole body weight" every time I stand up. Standing up does not constitute "heavy lifting." Our legs are well-conditioned to doing that. Adding a small amount of extra weight to it is not heavy. If someone weighs 135 pounds that's only increasing it by 33%. That would be like using a 10 pound arm to lift 3 pounds, because when you lift the 3 pounds you are also lifting "your whole arm weight" too.

Go ahead and gripe about other people and their apparent put-downs over it. Just because I quoted your response to their snark doesn't mean I agree with their attitude. Again the point is that 45 lbs is not 'heavy' for squats. It's not, "ha ha you suck it's not heavy you wussie," it's, "it's not heavy." It's the 'standard' for an untrained 97 pound woman.

I'm sure someone who is starting at 45 lbs and adding weight will progress to bigger weights that would be heavy. I started out with 45 lbs too. Doesn't make it heavy.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    squats a re in my exercise video ........................must be two meanings......................
    nothing with weights.........................................
    i d ont do weights ......strength training wiont help me lose weight

Is this a joke?
  • Karentrobe
    Karentrobe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    did the squat challege and compleated it. now im at a steady 200 per day but i have a long way to go before i see a change
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

my thoughts exactly

Obnoxious much?

I think the issue might be that some people are thinking of the 45 pounds as an empty barbell., and empty might equal "light." However, this is heavy for people who are just starting out, like me, and not so much for people who have advance. Everything in perspective.

I'm doing 5x5 right now, and the program TELLS you to start at 45 lbs. It also suggests to start adding weight right away, which I won't do until I get my form correct.

Either way, I'm looking forward to how good my butt will look in a few months

and your butt WILL thank you...trust me.

I wish i could post my butt.