squats

Options

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I squat heavy(45 lbs in a backpack) three times a week and started a body-weight squat challenge 6 days ago. So yea, I'm squatting a lot. I can feel my quad muscles more and my bum is getting into some sort of shape. lol

High five and good work. :flowerforyou:
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Love squats, my thigh pic in my profile is the result of squatting.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    45lbs is an unloaded barbell. Lol. How is that heavy?

my thoughts exactly

Obnoxious much?
    Considering that squats start out with your body weight, 45 lbs is quite a bit less than that. That would be like saying I'm doing heavy curls by drinking from a 32 oz water bottle that doesn't even weigh as much as my arm.

Squats without any weight isn't really that much of an "exercise." I do that like 100 times a day as a matter of normal daily activity, every time I stand up from a chair. Doing an extra dozen isn't going to make a difference.

The two comments were entirely obnoxious and self-serving. Heavy lifting, in particular in the beginning, is subjective to the individual doing the lifting. Get over the 'I am a better heavy-lifter' than you attitude. Or continue sounding like an arrogant and ignorant individual. Whatever.
    I was explaining why 45 lbs is not "heavy" for squats. Just because the other two were obnoxious about it doesn't mean they're wrong.

I think the issue might be that some people are thinking of the 45 pounds as an empty barbell., and empty might equal "light." However, this is heavy for people who are just starting out, like me, and not so much for people who have advance. Everything in perspective.

I'm doing 5x5 right now, and the program TELLS you to start at 45 lbs. It also suggests to start adding weight right away, which I won't do until I get my form correct.

Either way, I'm looking forward to how good my butt will look in a few months

and your butt WILL thank you...trust me.

I wish i could post my butt.

You and me both.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Ha ha! Let me come make fun of how much weight you squat. Ha ha ha! *Points and laughs*
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    did the squat challege and compleated it. now im at a steady 200 per day but i have a long way to go before i see a change

You would probably be better served and see result much quicker if you squatted with a barbell 5x5 ( 5 sets, 5 reps) 3x a week.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I squat heavy(45 lbs in a backpack) three times a week and started a body-weight squat challenge 6 days ago. So yea, I'm squatting a lot. I can feel my quad muscles more and my bum is getting into some sort of shape. lol

High five and good work. :flowerforyou:

Thanks. I know it's not as heavy as others, but I would rather not risk hurting myself and wait until I get an actual barbell bar before challenging myself. A backpack full of 100 or more lbs would probably result in me looking like a toppled turtle. lol.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

my thoughts exactly

Obnoxious much?
    Considering that squats start out with your body weight, 45 lbs is quite a bit less than that. That would be like saying I'm doing heavy curls by drinking from a 32 oz water bottle that doesn't even weigh as much as my arm.

Squats without any weight isn't really that much of an "exercise." I do that like 100 times a day as a matter of normal daily activity, every time I stand up from a chair. Doing an extra dozen isn't going to make a difference.

The two comments were entirely obnoxious and self-serving. Heavy lifting, in particular in the beginning, is subjective to the individual doing the lifting. Get over the 'I am a better heavy-lifter' than you attitude. Or continue sounding like an arrogant and ignorant individual. Whatever.
    I was explaining why 45 lbs is not "heavy" for squats. Just because the other two were obnoxious about it doesn't mean they're wrong.

But they were wrong and so are you. Your analogy is full of wrong as well. She would be squatting her body weight plus the 45 pounds. Which again, for a beginner would be heavy. Christ - is this really such a difficult concept???
    Apparently it is a difficult concept. I lift "my whole body weight" every time I stand up. Standing up does not constitute "heavy lifting." Our legs are well-conditioned to doing that. Adding a small amount of extra weight to it is not heavy. If someone weighs 135 pounds that's only increasing it by 33%. That would be like using a 10 pound arm to lift 3 pounds, because when you lift the 3 pounds you are also lifting "your whole arm weight" too.

Go ahead and gripe about other people and their apparent put-downs over it. Just because I quoted your response to their snark doesn't mean I agree with their attitude. Again the point is that 45 lbs is not 'heavy' for squats. It's not, "ha ha you suck it's not heavy you wussie," it's, "it's not heavy." It's the 'standard' for an untrained 97 pound woman.

I'm sure someone who is starting at 45 lbs and adding weight will progress to bigger weights that would be heavy. I started out with 45 lbs too. Doesn't make it heavy.

oh.good.god.
  • momof4aklx
    momof4aklx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the squat challage and it so works
  • chesq77
    chesq77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Make sure to go real deep in the squat and focus on the negative movement you get better results !!!! dont do those half-*kitten* squats....also i use to only squat but i plateud so i started to single leg squat with more than half the weight of my two leg squat and my two leg squat went up in two weeks of single legging.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hey, let's all judge each other. cuz you know, we haven't done that in twenty minutes.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Uhm, cause its heavy for her! I just started doing weighted squats in April, and just got to 50 pounds (2 25 pound dumbells). FOR ME that is heavy. Everyone starts somewhere, and the point of lifting heavy is lifting as heavy as YOU can and progressing, not whats heavy to someone else, right??? LOL

This! Heavy lifting is lifting weight that is heavy for YOU not someone else.
  • whierd
    Options
    I have been doing the squat challage and it so works

It does not work by the mere fact that you are doing it.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I know it's not as heavy as others, but I would rather not risk hurting myself and wait until I get an actual barbell bar before challenging myself. A backpack full of 100 or more lbs would probably result in me looking like a toppled turtle. lol.

True! And everyone (except for utter morons) starts low for just that reason . . . gotta work out the biomechanics or you could hurt yourself.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Make sure to go real deep in the squat and focus on the negative you get better results !!!! dont do those half-*kitten* squats....also i use to only squat but i plateud so i started to single leg squat with more than half the weight of my two leg squat and my two leg squat went up in two weeks of single legging.

I have progressed to past parellel myself...not quite at the single leg squat. Might be a new challenge for myself.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    People who mock what might be heavy for some, but not for themselves are kinda ridiculous. Ronnie Coleman wouldn't think your max was much either.

If it's heavy for you, and you're progressing in your strength training ignore critical asshats. Good on ya.

tumblr_mefy5f5TEW1r7aqe0o1_500.jpg
  • chesq77
    chesq77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Make sure to go real deep in the squat and focus on the negative you get better results !!!! dont do those half-*kitten* squats....also i use to only squat but i plateud so i started to single leg squat with more than half the weight of my two leg squat and my two leg squat went up in two weeks of single legging.

I have progressed to past parellel myself...not quite at the single leg squat. Might be a new challenge for myself.

a little below parallel is perfect, really focus (dont just go through the motions and doing it for the sake of doing it, really focus) on the quads and glutes on the down movement then push from the heels with power...when youre done you should really feel like you can barely walk, thats how you know you had great form....and you dont have to rush in to single legs but i found it worked better for me and i feel it so much more, especially if its weighted
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options

my thoughts exactly

Obnoxious much?

It is her body weight PLUS 45 pounds! For her that is heavy.
    Wondering why people aren't congratulating her on building up the added weight instead of poo pooing her efforts....
  • whierd
    Options
    People who mock what might be heavy for some, but not for themselves are kinda ridiculous. Ronnie Coleman wouldn't think your max was much either.

If it's heavy for you, and you're progressing in your strength training ignore critical asshats. Good on ya.

tumblr_mefy5f5TEW1r7aqe0o1_500.jpg

Goddamn he is a beast.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Before I sprained my knee a month ago I was squatting 130 lb. Gonna restart tomorrow with just the bar and work my way back up.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Squats on Tuesday were 170x3x5 plus a back off set at 135x5. Working my way back up to what I used to squat before a back injury, a layoff, and a 15 pound weight loss.