Whole Egg vs. Egg White

Options

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Come back and talk to me when you're 60--if you haven't had a SCA by then. Until then, I'll trust the professionals.

just keep in mind that doctors are only required to go through ONE nutrition course in their countless years of schooling/residency/etc, and that course is entirely FDA/USDA based. In other words, doctors know absolutely zilch about nutrition
    Sometimes I wish people would write out things. I have no idea what the Society for Creative Anachronism has to do with nutrition.

Coach, agreed with this, I sometimes wonder how much some dr's keep up on current medicene/health. If all Dr's had the same knowledge, and the same information, then there would be no one who would tell you to get a second opinion.
    I generally tend to agree with Doctors because I know that they ultimately have more information, training, and schooling than I do, but it does not mean that they are not infalliable, and that I should be taking an active approach to learning and understanding my own health, which is an ongoing process.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    um.

no one is at 12,000 cal/day maintenance. 6,000 is really the highest I've ever heard someone advocate, and that's Mark Rippetoe - but he's talking about a bulk (building muscle quickly)
    lol dammit I hate numbers and lack of sleep, 1,200!! I meant 1,200!! :D

(Fixed that post to reflect 1,200 instead of 12,000)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    um.

no one is at 12,000 cal/day maintenance. 6,000 is really the highest I've ever heard someone advocate, and that's Mark Rippetoe - but he's talking about a bulk (building muscle quickly)
    lol dammit I hate numbers and lack of sleep, 1,200!! I meant 1,200!! :D

hahaha that makes MUCH more sense. :laugh: :tongue:
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I alternate...one day its 4 egg whites with 1/4 cup of oats and the next day its 4 egg whites + 2 whole eggs. Depends on my mood :-)
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the whole "egg-white" thing. Just eat the whole egg and fit it into your daily calories. Only egg whites seems boring to me.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Going off the MFP food database (which I don't claim is always right)
    Generic egg - 70 calories
    Egg - Egg white only - 20 calories

50 calorie difference. 50. In the grand scheme of 12,000 + calories, that's a drop in the bucket. I didn't say there was NOT a difference, and not eating the yolk you're leaving out more than calories, you're also leaving out a lot of nutrients. I have no issue if someone wants to eat egg whites (because now I want an egg white sammich), but the OP was debating the benefits against them based, it seemed, on calories.

12,000 calories? Who eats that many calories a day? That's crazy! If you mean in a week, 50 x 3 = 150 a day x 7 days a week = 1050 calories a week. That's half a day's food for someone eating 1700 calories a day.

I think you need to calm down before you start jumping off the porch at people. I said 12,000 + calories, I believe you missed the "+" part of that. There are some people who are on this site in maintenance (or trying to gain) that 12,000 calories are a perfectly acceptable # (as we are all like snowflakes). Definitely not for mine, but I don't know what the OP's calories are at, and so I used a very low and generic # to prove that even with a very low calorie budget, it still did not make much of a difference.

Going back to the OP stated "I've been eating one whole egg in the morning " ONE EGG, not the 3 that is in your calculation (not sure where the 3 came from, basing it on an egg at every meal?). Going from a whole egg to egg white = -50 calories a day deficit in this one meal. Assuming that said one egg is consumed every day of the week, she would be cutting out a total of 350 calories (50 calories once a day X 7days a week) by going to an egg white.
    PER DAY if someone perchance were to actually be at an acceptable 12,000 calories a day, then an extra 50 calories to a meal would not be an outrageous addition, the reverse (taking out the yok and going with -50 calories) is also true. The concern that it was the caloric intake that may be the reason to stop eating the yolk, and so it's up to the OP to determine if 50 calories is worth the potential time/money/nturients/etc to eat the whole or the egg white.

um.

yeah...i do not think that number means what you think it means.

i sincerely hope you aren't eating 12,000 calories a day...unless you are looking to gain a few pounds every day

:huh:
    LOL - I'm guessing that the coma was in the wrong place and they added 1 extra zero by mistake. I'd like to think nobody is crazy enough to think that 12,000 calories is a low cal diet...then again, what do I know! ROFL!
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    You realize you're only saving yourself about 52 calories by not eating the yolk, right? Even eating just 1200 cals a day (don't, btw) you can make that work.

THIS!!!!

Good grief! If you like egg yokes, eat them. If you like egg whites..eat them. If your calorie counting is so close that 50ish calories is making a difference (which is all an estimate anyway), there are probably other things to worry about. Just my opinion. Life is WAY too short to worry about eggs yolks.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    just keep in mind that doctors are only required to go through ONE nutrition course in their countless years of schooling/residency/etc, and that course is entirely FDA/USDA based. In other words, doctors know absolutely zilch about nutrition

Like I said, an MD and a registered dietician. Or will you know say that a RD has no idea of what they are talking about?
  • Annerk1
    Options

Going off the MFP food database (which I don't claim is always right)
    Generic egg - 70 calories
    Egg - Egg white only - 20 calories

50 calorie difference. 50. In the grand scheme of 12,000 + calories, that's a drop in the bucket. I didn't say there was NOT a difference, and not eating the yolk you're leaving out more than calories, you're also leaving out a lot of nutrients. I have no issue if someone wants to eat egg whites (because now I want an egg white sammich), but the OP was debating the benefits against them based, it seemed, on calories.

12,000 calories? Who eats that many calories a day? That's crazy! If you mean in a week, 50 x 3 = 150 a day x 7 days a week = 1050 calories a week. That's half a day's food for someone eating 1700 calories a day.

I think you need to calm down before you start jumping off the porch at people. I meant to say 1,200+ not 12,000 + calories, as there are some people who are on this site in maintenance (or trying to gain) that 1,200 calories are a perfectly acceptable # (as we are all like snowflakes). Definitely not for mine, but I don't know what the OP's calories are at, and so I meant to use a very low and generic # to prove that even with a very low calorie budget, it still did not make much of a difference.

Going back to the OP stated "I've been eating one whole egg in the morning " ONE EGG, not the 3 that is in your calculation (not sure where the 3 came from, basing it on an egg at every meal?). Going from a whole egg to egg white = -50 calories a day deficit in this one meal. Assuming that said one egg is consumed every day of the week, she would be cutting out a total of 350 calories (50 calories once a day X 7days a week) by going to an egg white.
    PER DAY if someone perchance were to actually be at an acceptable 1,200 calories a day, then an extra 50 calories to a meal would not be an outrageous addition, the reverse (taking out the yok and going with -50 calories) is also true. The concern that it was the caloric intake that may be the reason to stop eating the yolk, and so it's up to the OP to determine if 50 calories is worth the potential time/money/nturients/etc to eat the whole or the egg white.\

(Edited to correct 12,000 to 1,200)

Hey, I was just responding to what you wrote. I'm not responsible for your typos. I've seen some pretty crazy things on these boards, so who knows what someone is doing to themselves.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I prefer the whole egg because I'm pretty sure I would be a sad, bitter lady if my breakfast was so bland (I need some fat! Lol). But also, I'm a cheapskate and I just couldn't justify wasting half of a perfectly good egg!

Toss veggies or truffles in with those egg whites and you won't know the difference...

i could toss truffles into an old sneaker and it would taste good. mmmm truffles.

I would notice if there were veggies and truffles in my eggs.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole small carton of egg whites at a time. That's a big plate of eggs and it's about 250 calories.
    An equivalent serving of whole eggs would be over 500 calories.

I do eat whole eggs, frequently even, but when I need to fit in more food for fewer calories, I eat the egg whites.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Like I said, an MD and a registered dietician. Or will you know say that a RD has no idea of what they are talking about?

Depends on their training and their level of commitment to following new research. not all RD's are the same, just as all MDs are not the same. There are good ones and bad.

The point is, to follow ONE person's view as gospel, no matter what their level of training, is foolish. It always makes sense to do as much research as possible and gather information from multiple sources. You're the only one as invested in your health as you are - so it makes sense to do your due diligence. I eat 14-21 eggs a week (2 or 3 a day) and my cholesterol levels are impeccable.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Eating the yolk isn't going to kill you. Ist eat it. Personally, I hate egg yolk, so I don't eat it most of the time, but that is strictly due to taste preference.
  • Annerk1
    Options

Depends on their training and their level of commitment to following new research. not all RD's are the same, just as all MDs are not the same. There are good ones and bad.

The point is, to follow ONE person's view as gospel, no matter what their level of training, is foolish. It always makes sense to do as much research as possible and gather information from multiple sources. You're the only one as invested in your health as you are - so it makes sense to do your due diligence. I eat 14-21 eggs a week (2 or 3 a day) and my cholesterol levels are impeccable.

RD's have to take CEU's to keep their license. Want to try again?

Like I said, things have a nasty habit of catching up with you when you aren't looking...
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Like I said, things have a nasty habit of catching up with you when you aren't looking...

I sincerely hope that your continuous appeals to authority do NOT catch up to you.
  • Annerk1
    Options

I sincerely hope that your continuous appeals to authority do NOT catch up to you.

Considering I recently had a full blood panel that included cholesterol which were all perfect as well as having a BMI within "Normal Weight" even at my heaviest, I don't think I'm the one that needs to worry.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I've met people of all sorts of professions with all sorts of letters and certifications behind their names and a great many of them couldn't pour piss out of their boots with the instructions on the bottom...even in their area of specialty.
    Nutrition is such an inexact an contentious "science" that going with what one person says because they're "qualified," just isn't very compelling.

Hate it when I side with the coach...I really do. Dang!
  • Annerk1
    Options

I've met people of all sorts of professions with all sorts of letters and certifications behind their names and a great many of them couldn't pour piss out of their boots with the instructions on the bottom...even in their area of specialty.
    Nutrition is such an inexact an contentious "science" that going with what one person says because they're "qualified," just isn't very compelling.

Think what you will, I'll choose to err on the side of caution. See you at the finish line.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't prefer the taste of the yolks, so no yolks for moi when I am cooking eggs. On the other hand, I will use the yolks for puddings and breads.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Think what you will, I'll choose to err on the side of caution. See you at the finish line.

But you're not even doing THAT! Erring on the side of caution would be taking the time to do your own research while comparing the opinions of MULTIPLE professionals! Exactly what we're suggesting!