7 Reasons why women should lift heavy

Options

Replies

• Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    But if there is evidence that lifting heavier actually provides more protection against bone density than lifting 15-25 lbs then I might consider it

No you won't. You've been here for 11,448 posts. It would be literally impossible to miss the evidence you request.

You just don't want to hear it.

Don't lift. That's fine. But there's no need to troll the rest of the forum with excuses and faux interest.

I do lift. I never said I didn't. And in 11,000+ posts (or 50+ years being alive, or 30+ years in healthcare) I've never seen one article, study or other evidence that only lifting progressively heavy will prevent bone loss. I'm not trolling, I'm asking someone (anyone) to back up these statements. If they can.

So if you can provide it, please do. Otherwise just keep the insults coming. It's very convincing.

But seriously, doesn't it make sense that "stressing" the body by lifting progressively heavier would indeed be beneficial in preventing bone loss? There will come a point in time the 25 pounds just doesn't feel heavy anymore and, therefore, won't provide the same amount of strain. When the strain stops, it seems logical to me that the gains made initially by lifting the 25 pounds will eventually cease and possibly (over time) bone loss will begin to reoccur. It's the same as with cardio. Would you continue to walk the same mile at the same speed over and over again and expect to continue to see increased cardiovascular benefits? Pushing yourself to go a little faster/further is what increases your endurance and allows the body (heart) to adjust to the increased demand, thereby, becoming stronger and more efficient at doing its job.

Edited to correct spelling.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, if the question you refer to is the one I keep asking, it wasn't about the benefits of lifting heavy. It's whether one has to lift consistently heavier in order to prevent bone loss and specifically whether lifting greater than 25 lbs weights is necessary.

See the results section in particular. To be within that percentage of your 1 RM, and to see the benefits, you need more than 25 lbs.

Effect of weighted exercises on bone mineral density in post menopausal women. A systematic review.
    Zehnacker CH, Bemis-Dougherty A.
    Source
    Physical Therapy Consults, Frederick, MD 21701, USA. doctorcz@comcast.net
    Abstract
    PURPOSE:
    Osteoporosis is both preventable and treatable with exercise playing an important role in osteogenesis. The purpose of this systematic review was to determine which specific exercise programs utilizing weights were effective in maintaining or increasing bone mineral density (BMD) in postmenopausal women.
    METHODS:
    A computerized search of the MEDLINE, CINAHL, EMBASE, PEDro, and Science Citation databases was conducted for the period 1990 through February 2005. The search was performed using English language-only keyword searches using MESH terms osteoporosis, postmenopausal, exercise, weight training, and bone mineral density. A total of 20 articles was critically evaluated for the quality of an intervention study using the criteria developed by MacDermid. An expert on the topic was asked to review the list of articles for omissions.
    RESULTS:
    The review revealed evidence to support the effectiveness of weight training exercises to increase BMD in postmenopausal women. The increases in BMD were site-specific and required high loading with a training intensity of 70% to 90% of 1 RM for 8 to 12 repetitions of 2 to 3 sets performed over one year duration.
    CONCLUSION:
    Weighted exercises can help in maintaining BMD in postmenopausal women and increasing BMD of the spine and hip in women with osteopenia and osteoporosis. The exercise program must be incorporated into a lifestyle change and be lifelong due to the chronic nature of bone loss in older women.

Thank you. That is along the lines I was looking for. I'm not sure it makes the case that more than 25 lbs is necessary, though. There are some moves that I can not do one rep at 25 lbs (lateral raises, for example). And certainly many post-menopausal women could not do one rep of anything at 25 lbs. I would think the amount needed would be relative.

This does make me very glad that I don't have any bone loss as I approach menopause, though.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it makes the case that more than 25 lbs is necessary, though.

:laugh:

Priceless and 100% expected.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what is considered "lifting heavy" I do lift about 5-6 days a week usually. 20lbs dumbbells for biceps. i use the 40 pound barbell, I put 15 pounds on each side of the chest press bar (all the varations) 10 lbs on the shoulder press bar (75 if I use the machine instead of the free weight) 30 on the chest fly, i do 80 or 90 on the row and 80 on the lateral pull down. I can do 30 to 40 on most of the the triceps.. legs press I do 170 or 180 and 90 for most of the other leg machines. 75 on the calf raises. I squat holding 20 pound dumbbells. I do 80 on the abs machine. I do HIIT class with 8 lb weights. I'm getting ankle and wrist weights to wear during zumba, kickboxing and step class.

but I'm not "bulking up" I don't look like a man. I just look freaking amazing!!

So Idk if that constitues lifting heavy or not.. but the weights feel pretty heavy to me!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I do lift. I never said I didn't. And in 11,000+ posts (or 50+ years being alive, or 30+ years in healthcare) I've never seen one article, study or other evidence that only lifting progressively heavy will prevent bone loss. I'm not trolling, I'm asking someone (anyone) to back up these statements. If they can.

It's not the only method. That is nonsense.

It is however a very efficient, time saving and applied method to do so.
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    No, if the question you refer to is the one I keep asking, it wasn't about the benefits of lifting heavy. It's whether one has to lift consistently heavier in order to prevent bone loss and specifically whether lifting greater than 25 lbs weights is necessary.

See the results section in particular. To be within that percentage of your 1 RM, and to see the benefits, you need more than 25 lbs.

Effect of weighted exercises on bone mineral density in post menopausal women. A systematic review.
    Source
    Abstract
    PURPOSE:
    Osteoporosis is both preventable and treatable with exercise playing an important role in osteogenesis. The purpose of this systematic review was to determine which specific exercise programs utilizing weights were effective in maintaining or increasing bone mineral density (BMD) in postmenopausal women.
    METHODS:
    A computerized search of the MEDLINE, CINAHL, EMBASE, PEDro, and Science Citation databases was conducted for the period 1990 through February 2005. The search was performed using English language-only keyword searches using MESH terms osteoporosis, postmenopausal, exercise, weight training, and bone mineral density. A total of 20 articles was critically evaluated for the quality of an intervention study using the criteria developed by MacDermid. An expert on the topic was asked to review the list of articles for omissions.
    RESULTS:
    The review revealed evidence to support the effectiveness of weight training exercises to increase BMD in postmenopausal women. The increases in BMD were site-specific and required high loading with a training intensity of 70% to 90% of 1 RM for 8 to 12 repetitions of 2 to 3 sets performed over one year duration.
    CONCLUSION:
    Weighted exercises can help in maintaining BMD in postmenopausal women and increasing BMD of the spine and hip in women with osteopenia and osteoporosis. The exercise program must be incorporated into a lifestyle change and be lifelong due to the chronic nature of bone loss in older women.

Thank you. That is along the lines I was looking for. I'm not sure it makes the case that more than 25 lbs is necessary, though. There are some moves that I can not do one rep at 25 lbs (lateral raises, for example). And certainly many post-menopausal women could not do one rep of anything at 25 lbs. I would think the amount needed would be relative.

This does make me very glad that I don't have any bone loss as I approach menopause, though.

You're right, But like I said in my earlier post, you're only accounting for weight, and not 1RM. If 25 lbs on any given lift is within the given percentage of your 1 RM, then you should see BMD increases (or at least a slowing in the normal age related decrease). You aren't proving we're wrong, you're comparing apples to shrimp.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    After seven months of lifting progressively heavier pink weights I finally made it to the truly heavy 8lb range. I'm going to the store to buy a full gallon of milk now and I'm confident that I'll be able to pick it up all by myself. Will update with my NSV when I return.

Wait til you lift your new baby! True NSV

Disclaimer: I read her husband's post on her body recomp during her pregnancy so I KNOW she is due soon and not assuming.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Maybe it will help if you let go of the 25 lb number, and instead focus on percentage of 1 RM. For bone health, you need to be lifting at 70-90% of whatever your individual 1 RM is for that exercise. As you gain strength, you will need to add weight to remain in that sweet spot of 70-90%. If 25 lbs gets you there with lateral raises, okay but it probably doesn't cut it for squats, lunges, etc. Anyway, there's the info, you obviously can make your own decisions and the planet won't explode if you don't lift heavy. But there are some sound reasons to try to find a way to enjoy it.

Edit for the grammars.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Incidentally, you don't have to lift "heavy" either. I do believe it is the most time efficient and effective method though particularly when working in a calorie deficit.

This article is useful examination of the issues:

http://www.cbass.com/LiftingWithEffort.htm
  • bcattoes
    Options
    But seriously, doesn't it make sense that "stressing" the body by lifting progressively heavier would indeed be beneficial in preventing bone loss? There will come a point in time the 25 pounds just doesn't feel heavy anymore and, therefore, won't provide the same amount of strain. When the strain stops, it seems logical to me that the gains made initially by lifting the 25 pounds will eventually cease and possibly (over time) bone loss will begin to reoccur. It's the same as with cardio. Would you continue to walk the same mile at the same speed over and over again and expect to continue to see increased cardiovascular benefits? Pushing yourself to go a little faster/further is what increases your endurance and allows the body (heart) to adjust to the increased demand, thereby, becoming stronger and more efficient at doing its job.

The answer to the first question is yes, and I've never disputed that. I agree 100% that lifting progressively heavier would indeed be beneficial in prevent bone loss.

It is the rest of the post of which I'm not convinced. While it does seem logical that bone density increases would cease once lifting 25 lbs (or more or less) became easier, it does not seem logical that the benefits (increase or maintenance) would be lost by continuing at that weight. And certainly not if more reps were added, as previously suggested. It will always be possible to lift 25 lbs to failure.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Maybe it will help if you let go of the 25 lb number, and instead focus on percentage of 1 RM. For bone health, you need to be lifting at 70-90% of whatever your individual 1 RM is for that exercise. As you gain strength, you will need to add weight to remain in that sweet spot of 70-90%. If 25 lbs gets you there with lateral raises, okay but it probably doesn't cut it for squats, lunges, etc. Anyway, there's the info, you obviously can make your own decisions and the planet won't explode if you don't lift heavy. But there are some sound reasons to try to find a way to enjoy it.

25 lbs came from the article. Several posters jumped on the fact that the author said 25 lbs was ideal. I suggested perhaps he wasn't saying you should never go beyond that, just that it was enough for things like preventing bone and muscle loss as women age (I have no idea if that was actually the author's intent, I was just making a suggestion). Then I was told that wasn't true .... over and over and over again. I was just trying to find out if there was any actual evidence to support that notion.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Source
    Abstract
    PURPOSE:
    METHODS:
    RESULTS:
    CONCLUSION:

You're right, But like I said in my earlier post, you're only accounting for weight, and not 1RM. If 25 lbs on any given lift is within the given percentage of your 1 RM, then you should see BMD increases (or at least a slowing in the normal age related decrease). You aren't proving we're wrong, you're comparing apples to shrimp.

I'm not trying to prove anyone is wrong. I was just asking for evidence that a statement was true.
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Source
    Abstract
    PURPOSE:
    METHODS:
    RESULTS:
    CONCLUSION:

I'm not trying to prove anyone is wrong. I was just asking for evidence that a statement was true.

And I've asked the same from you.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I was just trying to find out if there was any actual evidence to support that notion.

And you found out that there was.

Now what?
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    25 lbs came from the article. Several posters jumped on the fact that the author said 25 lbs was ideal. I suggested perhaps he wasn't saying you should never go beyond that, just that it was enough for things like preventing bone and muscle loss as women age (I have no idea if that was actually the author's intent, I was just making a suggestion). Then I was told that wasn't true .... over and over and over again. I was just trying to find out if there was any actual evidence to support that notion.
    Well I think a fair job has been done to supply that evidence; yours to do with what you will. Or not. I'm still thinking not.
  • aoifebos1
    aoifebos1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    After seven months of lifting progressively heavier pink weights I finally made it to the truly heavy 8lb range. I'm going to the store to buy a full gallon of milk now and I'm confident that I'll be able to pick it up all by myself. Will update with my NSV when I return.

HAHAHA!
  • Oriole15
    Oriole15 Posts: 58
    Options
    25 pounds is lighter than my 2 year old. So all along mums across the world have been doing "heavy" lifting daily and didn't even know it, how amusing.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I was just trying to find out if there was any actual evidence to support that notion.

And you found out that there was.

Now what?

I've only seen one article about increasing BMD in post menopausal women posted and while it was interesting it didn't really say anything about the need to lift progressively heavier.

The National Osteoporosis Foundation also does not say anything about the need to progressively lift heavier.
    http://www.nof.org/articles/238

Nor does the Mayo Clinic
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/osteoporosis/DS00128/DSECTION=prevention

Or any of these articles:
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss05/osteoporosis.html
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/osteoporosis-000120.htm
    http://health.usnews.com/health-conditions/bone-joint-health/osteoporosis/prevention
    http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/guide/osteoporosis-prevention

All list weight bearing cardio exercises as being needed more often than weight lifting to preserve bone than weight lifting. 2 days a week with no mention of the amount of weight seems to be the general consensus for lifting recommendations. A couple specifically mention strength training such as ankle/wrist weights and resistance bands.

Now what? I'd say sticking with my current exercise routine seems best since I enjoy most of it and it exceeds the medical recommendations.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've fought this mindset with my wife ever since I've known her. I have yet to convince her that lifting progressively heavier is something she should be interested in. I've pretty much given up on that notion for her at this point.

I'm a HUGE proponent to strength training, both for men and women, and if I haven't been able to convince her to tackle it over 17 years...so I'm not real surprised that this guy is putting some arbitrary low number of weight as an "ideal" range. People who strength train regularly will obviously know that number doesn't mean anything. It's too bad people who "influence" others don't do it with a bit more foresight.
  • spikesmom
    spikesmom Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Every time I see such low weight recomendations for women, I always wonder how so many women can pick up a 30 pound child, but not a 10 pound dumbbell.

Most grocery sacks weigh more than those little dumbells.

my PURSE weighs 40 pounds, and I've been lugging that thing around most of my life!