This picture really annoyed me.

Options

Replies

• suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was waiting for her to tell us how much weight she lost.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Nor do we know the story of the other two - how hard they worked, what challenges they faced, what their motivation was or even if they were overweight previously.
    It's not fun to work your *kitten* off, achieve something you really didn't think you could, to be proud of yourself and happy with your results then have people describe you as gross or tell you you look like a man (both of those have been said to me on this forum)

Regardless of where you are in your progress, you are going to be subject to negative comments.

It's not ok on either side.

Back to the gifs.

Not a gif, but...

marshmallow10cake.jpg

I like cake.

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS.

C7RkWOT.gif
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    For those of you who don't know who the "lazy, gluttonous" girl is or why she'd put a picture of herself in a bikini on the internet, here you go:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20641516,00.html

Her name is Stella Boonshoft, she has PCOS and writes a fat acceptance blog.

Just for the record, JIllian Michaels also has PCOS....

523_jillian-michaels-working-out_sm.jpg

Sorry to stop the hugs and cake love but...she does lol.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Nor do we know the story of the other two - how hard they worked, what challenges they faced, what their motivation was or even if they were overweight previously.
    It's not fun to work your *kitten* off, achieve something you really didn't think you could, to be proud of yourself and happy with your results then have people describe you as gross or tell you you look like a man (both of those have been said to me on this forum)

Regardless of where you are in your progress, you are going to be subject to negative comments.

Back to the gifs.

Not a gif, but...

marshmallow10cake.jpg

I like cake.

C7RkWOT.gif

tumblr_m4iusxGWF21rwcc6bo1_500_zps5e44c222.gif
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    For those of you who don't know who the "lazy, gluttonous" girl is or why she'd put a picture of herself in a bikini on the internet, here you go:

Maybe you forgot, so I will remind you:

tumblr_m9dfq2GBGE1ro2d43.gif
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's crazy. At first I thought, who knows where that overweight gal is in her weight loss progress< but after zooming in and reading the comments I see that is not the case. I think that on either side if this issue, there are some bad apples. There are those folks either way who are going to try and drag down the other side, and they are going to do it with as many insults as possible. I see it around here everyday. I think if someone doesn't like what someone else is doing, that is fine, but it's when people start getting nasty that it becomes a problem. People just refuse to respectfully disagree.
  • ItsAliciaMarie
    Options
    I see what you mean, that gorilla has no business being in there.

bahahahahahahaha, ^This made my day!

But on a serious note, I completely agree with the annoyingness of this picture! I don't see why they have to label someone who is fine with what they look like as lazy or gluttonous. Maybe this chick has been working her tail off and has lost 50 lbs and wants to show it off. I know that I will never have an eight-pack, and I don't want one. I want to reach my goal weight, and be toned and tightened. Am I lazy or gluttonous because I don't want to look like a body builder?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Back to the gifs.

Not a gif, but...

marshmallow10cake.jpg

I like cake.

C7RkWOT.gif

tumblr_m4iusxGWF21rwcc6bo1_500_zps5e44c222.gif

tumblr_mlvfy81Np31rx9lr5o1_500.gif
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options

^ This

Plus, placing her photo next to the fit couple makes it look like she advocates being unhealthy and not doing exercise. Fat acceptance isn't the same thing as being lazy, and her opinion on the athletic bodies may even be pretty positive...

I wish people would stop using their ailments as an excuse. There are PLENTY of people with PLENTY of ailments that can still be healthy.
  • Skratchie
    Skratchie Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What bothers me is that the girl who is alone is labeled as lazy & gluttonous. But how do we know what her story is? This could be a progress pic, where she's come a long way toward a healthier lifestyle.

This is why I would not post pics of myself on the internet at this point. I'm busting my *kitten* to look better and feel better, and if someone were to make such assumptions about me, I'd have to hunt them down and do bad things to them.

Back to the gifs.

I never mentioned the couple. I don't deny that they have worked hard - that much is obvious. You don't get a body like that without putting a lot of time and effort into it. I don't think they are disgusting; I don't think they need to eat a sandwich or anything else. I was commenting specifically on the second photo because I think it's unfair for people to judge harshly someone they don't know as being "lazy/gluttonous". That's it. I don't downplay the ones who have put a lot of time and effort into getting to where they are, and I doubt anyone would argue that they haven't done that. But why is it when folks see a photo of a person that doesn't have a perfect body, it's automatically ok to make snide comments?

I know it happens on "both sides" and I don't think it's right in any case. But it seems to be a lot more "acceptable" in mainstream society to make harsh/snide/rude comments to people who are heavyset.

Then again, it's obvious that there is always someone willing to make such comments regardless of how a person looks. I chalk that one up to "People suck." But I think you are far more likely to hear someone make comments about a person if they're overweight versus someone who's in good shape. It seems far more acceptable in society, which I think is hilarious considering how few people in this country are actually in good shape. Again, I chalk that one up to "People suck." ;-)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

^ This

Plus, placing her photo next to the fit couple makes it look like she advocates being unhealthy and not doing exercise. Fat acceptance isn't the same thing as being lazy, and her opinion on the athletic bodies may even be pretty positive...

I wish people would stop using their ailments as an excuse. There are PLENTY of people with PLENTY of ailments that can still be healthy.

tumblr_lps76r3f341r00k3po1_400.gif
  • sweetchildomine
    Options

tumblr_mdjju3LvSZ1qfyepx.gif
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

^ This

"Fat acceptance". What exactly is she promoting? That people just not make any effort to maintain their health or to at the very least try to cushion the blow of their medical condition? I understand that there actually are many who have medical problems that have presented a huge challenge for the sufferer. But that does not mean a person cant make an effort, and it does not mean that the rest of us have to "accept" being fat ourselves. It is fat acceptance that keeps America in an obesity epidemic. I don't think that people should attack others as they most often do, but at the same time if someone doesn't swoon at the sight of an overweight person that person should also understand that we all have our preferences.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

tumblr_mdjju3LvSZ1qfyepx.gif

tumblr_lvpwixli0c1r5emnro1_500.gif
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

^ This

i have Indiscriminate Eating Disorder (IED). i eat whatever foods i want to eat. don't judge me. :angry:
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options

^ This

"Fat acceptance". What exactly is she promoting? That people just not make any effort to maintain their health or to at the very least try to cushion the blow of their medical condition? I understand that there actually are many who have medical problems that have presented a huge challenge for the sufferer. But that does not mean a person cant make an effort, and it does not mean that the rest of us have to "accept" being fat ourselves. It is fat acceptance that keeps America in an obesity epidemic. I don't think that people should attack others as they most often do, but at the same time if someone doesn't swoon at the sight of an overweight person that person should also understand that we all have our preferences.

Fat acceptance is not demonising and mocking a person just because they are fat. That is it. Not the definition you just provided.

Edit: You are confusing it with health. Fat acceptance is not judging someone on the basis of them being fat.

Fat acceptance has not perpetuated the obesity epidemic in America. You can advocate fat acceptance and still consciously work on bettering your health.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

tumblr_lxx34qyLCD1r22t2go1_400.gif

I wish I had a million dollars!
  • obeseandsassy
    obeseandsassy Posts: 118
    Options

^ This

welp. i guess someone has no idea what fat acceptance actually is.
  • sweetchildomine
    Options
    Speaking of lazy and gluttonous....

I've been on the internet for hours and I'm eating a box of cookies.

I think I should start a "not having a life acceptance" blog
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

^ This

Fat acceptance is not demonising and mocking a person just because they are fat. That is it. Not the definition you just provided.

isn't that already covered by "Being a Decent Human Being"?

i think the term "fat acceptance" implies more than that because the 2 words in the name imply more than that.
This discussion has been closed.