Is this the worst that can happen to me?

Options
I've seen a lot of posts that are written in panic mode: I ate 300 more calories than I should! I've worked out all week long and haven't lost a pound! My fingers feel fat! WHAT DO I DO?

Folks, let's put some proper perspective about life back into the equation. NONE of the above situations are life threatening and critical.

I've led a very fortunate life free of major health problems. I'm not here to lose a lot of weight, I'm here to become healthier.

If you think about it, there are problems greater than calorie overages. For example, have you ever had to watch a child die from cancer? I have. Have you had to deal with a student whose father killed his mother, then turned the gun on himself? I have. Have you ever had to attend the funeral of a two-year old? I have.

Every time I'm faced with a plateau, or my progress seems to have stopped, or I go over my calories, or I am experiencing a lack of motivation, I ask myself: "Is this really the worst that can happen to me?" And the answer always is, NO.

Let's put some perspective back in our lives. For some people, being overweight is a life threatening situation. And I don't include them in this post. But, for those who worry about these things for vanity's sake, it's time to stop whining and start asking yourself: "Is this the worst that can happen to me?".

I bet the answer is also NO.

Replies

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    You know, just cause you've witnessed a bunch of stuff doesn't mean other people's concerns are invalid. Seeking advice and support is what this board is for. Um, look at the title.

I'm a cancer survivor. I think I've suffered enough for you. At some point I may be concerned about a hamstring or something less threatening. That's what this board is about.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    of course overeating 300 calories or working hard all week and not losing are not the worst things in the world....BUT it may be the current worst thing in the world for that person at this moment in life. there will always be someone who is going through something worse than us but we cant walk in those shoes. each person has their own life struggles and we cant know WHY they may have overeaten by 300 calories. maybe they just found out some terrible news or THEY are dealing with a stressful situation that they just don't share.

I am truly sorry that you have gone through some horrific circumstances in your life. having said that, i believe I too have had struggles that, by comparison may not be as horrific, but they were just as traumatic for me!

right now I still think I have the right to be unhappy if I worked out hard all week and made no noticeable progress. I shouldn't feel guilty about owning those feelings because someone else out there has is way worse. and neither should anyone else.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. Seek advice is fine, but stop acting like it is the end of the world.

:drinker:
  • Kst76
    Options

I'm a cancer survivor. I think I've suffered enough for you.
    You totally missing the point
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options

No I'm not. You just don't get it. PS you're totally missing an 're
  • Kst76
    Options

No I'm not. You just don't get it. PS you're totally missing an 're

Oh, English is my second language....
    But thank you for the heads up :)
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    You know, just cause you've witnessed a bunch of stuff doesn't mean other people's concerns are invalid. Seeking advice and support is what this board is for. Um, look at the title.

I'm a cancer survivor. I think I've suffered enough for you. At some point I may be concerned about a hamstring or something less threatening. That's what this board is about.

The point I am trying to make is this: when someone is feeling frustrated about losing those last three vanity pounds, or going over their daily caloric intake by only 300 cals, a little perspective can help them from feeling so disheartened.

This particular thread is about learning to appreciate what we have overcome, weight challenges aside, and letting go of some of the obsessive thoughts we have over our body size and shapes. There are always WORSE things that can happen.

As a cancer survivor, I am shocked to read you didn't "get" the message here. I'd think surviving cancer trumps pulled hamstrings any day. I know a few cancer survivors who are just happy to be alive.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    of course overeating 300 calories or working hard all week and not losing are not the worst things in the world....BUT it may be the current worst thing in the world for that person at this moment in life. there will always be someone who is going through something worse than us but we cant walk in those shoes. each person has their own life struggles and we cant know WHY they may have overeaten by 300 calories. maybe they just found out some terrible news or THEY are dealing with a stressful situation that they just don't share.

I am truly sorry that you have gone through some horrific circumstances in your life. having said that, i believe I too have had struggles that, by comparison may not be as horrific, but they were just as traumatic for me!

right now I still think I have the right to be unhappy if I worked out hard all week and made no noticeable progress. I shouldn't feel guilty about owning those feelings because someone else out there has is way worse. and neither should anyone else.

I never said you shouldn't be unhappy, what I'm saying is that, spend LESS time worrying about those 300 cals, and more time focusing on the positive things. Life is filled with ups and downs, on and off the scale. I think in the grand scheme of things, 300 cals over a limit for one day is nothing to obsess over when there are greater issues. Is it really WORTHY of such attention and power?

Don't sweat the small stuff.

I cannot believe the amount of "Debby Downers" on this thread.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I think its abit rude to compare someone who is having abit of a whinge because they overate or didn't lose any weight to someone who has cancer? I don't quite get how you make that link.

No its not life threatning but still
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I concur, and further more, I pity the fool who thinks that overeating by 300cals is the end of the world.

AA48A695-543D-415F-A8A2-E1E69F74D3B5.jpg
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah...OP....I really don't see this as motivating nor supporting. Saying, "I survived cancer, so my problems are worse than yours" is insensitive enough for me to put you on ignore. Good luck with your journey, but that kind of negativeness is one I don't need.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    And YET, if I post a thread that says "I worked out hard for a week, watched my calories, but didn't lose a pound, what am I doing wrong?" or "I overate by 300 cals, what do I do?" I'd get a bunch of comments that say "QUIT WHINING, you're being ridiculous." and "Seriously, one day of overeating and you're *****ing about it? Aren't there bigger problems to have?"

So, ladies who are calling me rude, what should be the proper level of support and encouragement to people who post threads about such matters? I'm curious, because apparently I'm dam*ed if I do and dam*ed if I don't.

As for the person put me on ignore: Yeah, no great shakes.
  • Amy11108
    Amy11108 Posts: 74
    Options
    I understand what you are saying OP and I agree. Sometimes we zone in so much and focus so intently on the little things we forget to count our blessings as well and put it into perspective.
  • annalovesfood
    annalovesfood Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For some people, not seeing progress or feeling like they went overboard may be enough to lose their momentum/motivation. I know that for me, when I have a bad day, it can be a fine line between losing my motivation and good head space to giving up. It can be a real bummer. I think the OP has good intentions with her post, but it may be a bit simplistic. It goes to show having "perspective" is clearly easier said than done.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    And YET, if I post a thread that says "I worked out hard for a week, watched my calories, but didn't lose a pound, what am I doing wrong?" or "I overate by 300 cals, what do I do?" I'd get a bunch of comments that say "QUIT WHINING, you're being ridiculous." and "Seriously, one day of overeating and you're *****ing about it? Aren't there bigger problems to have?"

So, ladies who are calling me rude, what should be the proper level of support and encouragement to people who post threads about such matters? I'm curious, because apparently I'm dam*ed if I do and dam*ed if I don't.

As for the person put me on ignore: Yeah, no great shakes.

Lol
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    It may be that yes, this is the worst AT THIS MOMENT! Sometimes when all is falling apart around me, be it my elderly parents, my daughter having a heart attack at 35, my grandson in the hospital, or falling a getting a severe sprained ankle (as they say it is much better to break it then sprain it), the only thing I can control is my food intake. At those time it is critical to me and focusing on my diet does take my mind of other uncontrollable things in my life.

Having the support and understanding of other people who are trying to find a balance in their life is very helpful and encouraging. Criticizing someone for focusing on their health and reaching out for support is NOT helpful at all.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Well, this is a happy thread. :huh:
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It may be that yes, this is the worst AT THIS MOMENT! Sometimes when all is falling apart around me, be it my elderly parents, my daughter having a heart attack at 35, my grandson in the hospital, or falling a getting a severe sprained ankle (as they say it is much better to break it then sprain it), the only thing I can control is my food intake. At those time it is critical to me and focusing on my diet does take my mind of other uncontrollable things in my life.

Having the support and understanding of other people who are trying to find a balance in their life is very helpful and encouraging. Criticizing someone for focusing on their health and reaching out for support is NOT helpful at all.

Well said, I totally agree Bucky.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    I understand what you are saying OP and I agree. Sometimes we zone in so much and focus so intently on the little things we forget to count our blessings as well and put it into perspective.

Exactly! Thank you for understand. I've had my share of trauma in my life, and have been struggling with some serious issues with my family: I have a brother who nearly died of alcoholism and is currently in jail, another who is a recovering heroin addict, elderly parents who are very ill, a husband who has been unemployed since April 2011 (he finally got a real job and starts on Monday), a daughter with some serious issues, a son who has made some really bad choices but thankfully has begun to pull out of them, etc. For me, losing the last 10 lbs is really at the bottom of my list. I'm making it happen, but I am not going to sweat it if it doesn't happen this very moment. Priorities.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lxyhzfYerM1r6de9wo1_500.jpg