Is this the worst that can happen to me?

Options

Replies

• deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It may be that yes, this is the worst AT THIS MOMENT! Sometimes when all is falling apart around me, be it my elderly parents, my daughter having a heart attack at 35, my grandson in the hospital, or falling a getting a severe sprained ankle (as they say it is much better to break it then sprain it), the only thing I can control is my food intake. At those time it is critical to me and focusing on my diet does take my mind of other uncontrollable things in my life.

Having the support and understanding of other people who are trying to find a balance in their life is very helpful and encouraging. Criticizing someone for focusing on their health and reaching out for support is NOT helpful at all.

now something like this is exactly what I was really trying to say! thanks for putting it like this.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Try to tell that to someone with an eating disorder.

thank you.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, here's why you're an *kitten*. Even having this problem with the forums is one of those petty issues you just can't stand reading about because kids have died. Go flip sand.
  • FlippinNora
    FlippinNora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Making others feel bad for feeling the way they do isn't the way to go. I have never, ever heard of anyone being helped just by someone saying 'Oh yeah but, so and so is so much worse off than you'.

Helping people put things into perspective is good. Making people feel bad for feeling the way they do is bad.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to this site, but this string has taught me something important. I have to be my own motivation and support and it's probably better not to post my frustrations on this board when I hit a speed bump regardless of how big or small I determine it to be in my own mind. Thanks to everyone on both sides of the argument for pointing this out to me.

Me too. All this has done is make me realize I really should just whine to myself, if I am feeling down. Clearly, I may not get much help on this forum.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    There are just certain people in the world (mostly young women, sorry) who act like every setback, no matter how trivial, is a Major Life Crisis. It's not even that they necessarily even truly feel that way, but raising the OMG!!! alarm gets them attention and sympathy and maybe they think it makes them more interesting. They're called drama queens. I choose not to have those people around me in real life, but there's not much that can be done about the internet. All you can do is roll your eyes and move on.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    To the OP, are you just trying to get a rise out of everyone? Of all the whinging posts I've seen to date this one wins - whinging about people whinging about the wrongs things... Really quite hypocritical, don't you think?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think the moral of the story is everyone suffers and many people in this thread need to get the hell off their cross and stop trying to make suffering into an olympic sport, trying to determine who gets more suffering points than others.

i think the OP and several others in this thread need to learn the meaning of 2 words : empathy and compassion, just have someone turn the dictionary pages for you while you wallow in your "i have it worse" mentality.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    HTFU people!

Aww look at your cute pink phone :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I agree with the Op.

Having experienced eating disorders on and off since a very young age, I can tend to get so caught up in the numbers, the minutae, that life passes me by more than it already has, and that is very sad when there is so, so much out there to be experienced and enjoyed, even in the simple things in life. Sometimes, when I am getting too stressed out by the details, I like to go and walk by the water or in a countryside area, and just absorb myself in the beauty of nature, and all that is natural. In the end, obsessing over a number, on a manmade object, is not particularly natural, the same as becoming unhealthily overweight or underweight is not natural. There has to be a balance somewhere.

Everyone has their own crosses to bear, this is true, but the key is maybe to evolve and learn from those crosses rather than to spin on them for the rest of our lives, getting nowhere. Do the best that you can do, with what you have, and grab what joy you can with both hands as you step into each day.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    i think the moral of the story is everyone suffers and many people in this thread need to get the hell off their cross and stop trying to make suffering into an olympic sport, trying to determine who gets more suffering points than others.

i think the OP and several others in this thread need to learn the meaning of 2 words : empathy and compassion, just have someone turn the dictionary pages for you while you wallow in your "i have it worse" mentality.
    Whatever Switzerland! :wink:
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Even putting calories into context helps. How is 300 calories either way going to make a big difference to someone with thousands upon thousands of calories of stored excess fat? Weight loss must be seen in the long haul.
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    I think the morale of the story is "if u don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything ",,

I'm with whatever Switzerland
  • Kst76
    Options
    Hey OP, here's why you're an *kitten*. Even having this problem with the forums is one of those petty issues you just can't stand reading about because kids have died. Go flip sand.

Wow
  • Kst76
    Options
    I think the morale of the story is "if u don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything ",,

Correct, and that goes for about 90 % of the posts on this thread.
  • Kst76
    Options
    Let me put it this way for the OP.

Lot`s of people have crazy *kitten* going on in their lives with family and friends.

MFP gives those people a place where they are concentrating on themselves for a time.

they can moan, feel good, complain, share success.

there is a place and time to think about their weight loss/lack of/athletic ability/lack of

We all need to put other personal stuff on the back burner sometimes and share/vent our diet/weight/fitness on a website that helps us to meet like minded people

I agree with this.

I get what you're saying OP, I do. I've had cancer so I know very clearly that there are many MANY worse things in the world than having a crappy eating day or missing the gym or seeing a number you don't want to or expect to on the scale.

But people whine. Even me. Sometimes I have a crappy day and sometimes, we just need to whine. I don't think most people post those types of things on the boards and say that it's the worst thing that could ever, ever happen to them. They're just b**ching.

Yes and I love reading those posts because it make me feel better about myself, realizing that these so called problems of mine is nothing in comparison.
  • Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lxyhzfYerM1r6de9wo1_500.jpg
    i like the way you think
  • annalovesfood
    annalovesfood Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If 300 calories were not important for some people there would be no calorie tracking function on this site (that some people diligently use day in and day out) and there would probably not be a need for the Motivation and Support Forum.

Why on earth would it come down to Cancer and weight loss? There are so many terrible things in the world and if we compared our own lives to the misfortunes of others at any decision making point in the day we would probably lose our minds.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

No, that was Thumper's father's rule for him as a young rabbit.

It may or may not always apply to adults have a discussion on the internet...

...and every disagreement is not necessarily not "nice".
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

And this is why you've been reported.