Is this the worst that can happen to me?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'd rather worry about eating over my calorie budget than how the hells I'm going to pay all the bills this month. It prevents my sanity going apes**t.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    OP, just because you have suffered some tragedies in your life (which I am sorry to read about) you can not alter the way other people feel about their problems.

We can all read peoples problems and successes on this website and get annoyed or feel so happy for the person.

But, it is a website with lots of different subjects that people are allowed to post /comment on.

If you feel that somebody has posted something and in the title you see that it is going to go against your feelings then ignore the post?

Maybe like some folks should have done here?

:wink:

Nah we must politely point out that you talk rubbish.

And yet you you choose to continue to post instead of moving on.

Yeah inbetween typing up my own thread about people who have to write threads about people who have to whinge about overating by 300calories and who should be grateful that they don't have anything more serious in their lives like the OP

Hope you managed to keep up with that?

You spelled "whine" wrong. You must not be from around here.

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of posts that are written in panic mode: I ate 300 more calories than I should! I've worked out all week long and haven't lost a pound! My fingers feel fat! WHAT DO I DO?

Folks, let's put some proper perspective about life back into the equation. NONE of the above situations are life threatening and critical.

I've led a very fortunate life free of major health problems. I'm not here to lose a lot of weight, I'm here to become healthier.

If you think about it, there are problems greater than calorie overages. For example, have you ever had to watch a child die from cancer? I have. Have you had to deal with a student whose father killed his mother, then turned the gun on himself? I have. Have you ever had to attend the funeral of a two-year old? I have.

Every time I'm faced with a plateau, or my progress seems to have stopped, or I go over my calories, or I am experiencing a lack of motivation, I ask myself: "Is this really the worst that can happen to me?" And the answer always is, NO.

Let's put some perspective back in our lives. For some people, being overweight is a life threatening situation. And I don't include them in this post. But, for those who worry about these things for vanity's sake, it's time to stop whining and start asking yourself: "Is this the worst that can happen to me?".

I bet the answer is also NO.

:drinker:
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    Thanks for this, it's always good to remember that life is actually pretty good and inhaling that pile of cake will not bring about the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse! :wink:

Have you heard about the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse Hamburger? It's a true burger with four different peppers on it, including the ghost chili pepper. One must sign a liability waiver before they eat it. Some place in Texas serves it. (I'd rather eat the cake).
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You only have 10 pounds to lose.. which is nothing. For someone who has lost a greater amount of weight, a little slip up or gain is going to be a big deal to them and just because it's not to you, doesn't give you a right to invalidate their feelings.

I only gained back 5 pounds, and freaked out.. because there is no way in hell I am ever going to back to where I was. If I don't keep on top of it, then it's going to happen sooner then later.. and I'd rather have it not happen at all.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Let me put it this way for the OP.

Lot`s of people have crazy *kitten* going on in their lives with family and friends.

MFP gives those people a place where they are concentrating on themselves for a time.

they can moan, feel good, complain, share success.

there is a place and time to think about their weight loss/lack of/athletic ability/lack of

We all need to put other personal stuff on the back burner sometimes and share/vent our diet/weight/fitness on a website that helps us to meet like minded people

I agree with this.

I get what you're saying OP, I do. I've had cancer so I know very clearly that there are many MANY worse things in the world than having a crappy eating day or missing the gym or seeing a number you don't want to or expect to on the scale.

But people whine. Even me. Sometimes I have a crappy day and sometimes, we just need to whine. I don't think most people post those types of things on the boards and say that it's the worst thing that could ever, ever happen to them. They're just b**ching.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    I'd rather worry about eating over my calorie budget than how the hells I'm going to pay all the bills this month. It prevents my sanity going apes**t.

Now that's a heck of a diversion! Go for it, but I do hope you get your bills paid. THAT is stressful -- and I know first hand what that is all about!
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to this site, but this string has taught me something important. I have to be my own motivation and support and it's probably better not to post my frustrations on this board when I hit a speed bump regardless of how big or small I determine it to be in my own mind. Thanks to everyone on both sides of the argument for pointing this out to me.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    OP, just because you have suffered some tragedies in your life (which I am sorry to read about) you can not alter the way other people feel about their problems.

We can all read peoples problems and successes on this website and get annoyed or feel so happy for the person.

But, it is a website with lots of different subjects that people are allowed to post /comment on.

If you feel that somebody has posted something and in the title you see that it is going to go against your feelings then ignore the post?

Yeah inbetween typing up my own thread about people who have to write threads about people who have to whinge about overating by 300calories and who should be grateful that they don't have anything more serious in their lives like the OP

No. Not American.

I spelt the word whinge not whine.

I love how you have now resorted to correcting peoples spelling - bless you.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    OP I think you will find that `whinge` is not the same spelling as `whine`

I would not usually pick someone up on a spelling mistake, but as you seem to deem it necessary then I will give you this one FoC

`WHINGE`
    Verb
    Complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way.
    Noun
    An act of complaining in such a way.
    Synonyms
    whine
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Everyone has the right to post about topics that matter to them. Obviously, the OP here is getting off on pointing out other people's spelling mistakes, rather than realizing that her perspective isn't the only valid one around here.

If you don't like reading about other people's 'minor' concerns, then don't read the thread. Why post a thread that mocks and demeans other people's questions? That's just stupid.

I suppose pulling out her "my life sucked worse than overeating 300 calories-card" wasn't enough of an ego stroke for her. I, for one, am simply going to put her on my ignore list and happily continue offering MOTIVATION AND SUPPORT to those who are looking for it.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I'm pretty new to this site, but this string has taught me something important. I have to be my own motivation and support and it's probably better not to post my frustrations on this board when I hit a speed bump regardless of how big or small I determine it to be in my own mind. Thanks to everyone on both sides of the argument for pointing this out to me.

Yes. Agreed. Not everyone is an *kitten* though.

Just add a few people who have the same goals as you and post your concerns to them specifically. Or join some groups.

People can be very idiotic.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

It's not wrong. It's not 'whine' it's 'whinge' as you can see. That's what we say in the UK.

Try again.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Let me put it this way for the OP.

Lot`s of people have crazy *kitten* going on in their lives with family and friends.

MFP gives those people a place where they are concentrating on themselves for a time.

they can moan, feel good, complain, share success.

there is a place and time to think about their weight loss/lack of/athletic ability/lack of

We all need to put other personal stuff on the back burner sometimes and share/vent our diet/weight/fitness on a website that helps us to meet like minded people

I agree with this.

I get what you're saying OP, I do. I've had cancer so I know very clearly that there are many MANY worse things in the world than having a crappy eating day or missing the gym or seeing a number you don't want to or expect to on the scale.

But people whine. Even me. Sometimes I have a crappy day and sometimes, we just need to whine. I don't think most people post those types of things on the boards and say that it's the worst thing that could ever, ever happen to them. They're just b**ching.

Yea ~ can't say I've read many (any?) that have whined MFP issues are "the worst that can happen". They're having a whine, it's human to do so. For some it's helpful to let off steam about the big *and* little things.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    OP I think you will find that `whinge` is not the same spelling as `whine`

I would not usually pick someone up on a spelling mistake, but as you seem to deem it necessary then I will give you this one FoC

`WHINGE`
    Verb
    Complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way.
    Noun
    An act of complaining in such a way.
    Synonyms
    whine

Actually, I DO know what it meant, and apparently you didn't catch the subtle implication. It's a term used more often in the UK and Australia, and is a variation of the Americanized "Whine" (OR vice versa). and I actually like your version more than ours. So yeah, that was what the wink was for. Get it now?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...because I sincerely believe things will change now.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options

[/quote]

How did she misspell whine when she used the word whinge (which was spelled correctly)?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying, OP, and I don't disagree, but everyone's problems are real and large to them. We don't get to decide how things make other people feel. Something that would be minor to many people can be a massive obstacle to someone who doesn't have the same coping skills that we do.

When I read threads like that, I quietly roll my eyes, think that person is very lucky that their minor (to me) issue is the biggest thing they have to worry about, and either ignore the thread, or try to make them feel a little better.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    You only have 10 pounds to lose.. which is nothing. For someone who has lost a greater amount of weight, a little slip up or gain is going to be a big deal to them and just because it's not to you, doesn't give you a right to invalidate their feelings.

I only gained back 5 pounds, and freaked out.. because there is no way in hell I am ever going to back to where I was. If I don't keep on top of it, then it's going to happen sooner then later.. and I'd rather have it not happen at all.

I get this too. But, ONE day of indulgence does not negate a month or more of diligence.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

How did she misspell whine when she used the word whinge (which was spelled correctly)?
    [/quote]

Well, apparently it was a joke.....which no one got....because it wasn't and she's just back tracking now.