What was your best 5k time?

Options

Replies

• MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    April 2013: 21:56

Last week on treadmill 21:18 and I'm working on improving as I train for the Austin 1/2 Marathon in February.
  • MarcoRod
    Options
    My best time when I was in HS was 15:32. First split was 4:35. I am now 20 years older and have a goal. I want to set the fastest 5k time for a 45 year old male in the usa. I start my training tomorrow. I have three years to complete this goal.

What is the record? I'm 43 : )
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My best time when I was in HS was 15:32. First split was 4:35. I am now 20 years older and have a goal. I want to set the fastest 5k time for a 45 year old male in the usa. I start my training tomorrow. I have three years to complete this goal.

US AG record (45-49) is 14:34.27 held by Pete Magill.

World record for 45 year old male is 14:35.1 by Günther Mielke.

World record for the AG is 14:23.6 by Lucien Rault at age 46.

I can't find a single age record page for US men, only the AG one.
  • MarcoRod
    Options
    I just PR'd on a treadmill at 20:31 and decided I will never come close to those records. Amazing!

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Pete Magill's story is amazing. He smoked like 40 a day for decades and decided at the last hour to give up pick up running again in his 40s and smashed it!!

I did 21.40 earlier this year on treadmill, 22.43 cross country a couple of weeks ago. Was hoping to get under 21 by end of year. Resting from cardio for a week or two atm, so running out of time! May change the goalposts, but trying out for triathlon GB age group 40-44 team next year and want to see how quick I can get it.

Love 5k. Love the human body. Love MFP.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Ran my first one end of March ( my local UK Park Run ) and came in at 24'59. That surprised and inspired me enough to get hooked on running and I've since done about 6 more with a current PB of 21'48. Also done 2 10k races and training for a half marathon in March and full marathon in May!

Love Parkruns!! They're so amazing. Free! Times officially logged and online. Photographer even! Good community vibe.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    This summer I completed the C25K programme and my first complete run of 5K was 52 minutes and my time has come down to 37 minutes but I don't seem to be able to get to much lower.
    34:41 today, getting faster!:happy:
  • monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I did this today actually and hit my new PB of...... 27:36 so im a very happy girl today!! :)
  • stephenwebbe
    stephenwebbe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey great job on running 5k! I could never run in the past and then I taught myself to run last year. My best 5k time was 28 minutes, but my average 5k time is somewhere between 30 and 35 minutes.

Don't worry about your time, worry about putting one foot in front of the other :)
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    [/quote]
    34:41 today, getting faster!:happy:
    [/quote]

You are doing amazingly. How cool is the human body? Particularly under adversity! Well done!
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I usually walk it in about 50 minutes. I may be slow, but I get there.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    25:46, but it is a moving scale. Sometimes I start a little slow so I don't burn out before it is over. So I end up around 27 because it gets harder to make up the time once you are behind the power curve. Right now I am training to get that time to about 25 mintues. If I every break 25 I will likely pee my pants with excitement!
  • rebeccatackett
    rebeccatackett Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k on October 6, 2012. I am running my 13th race on Thanksgiving morning. My fastest time has been about 32 minutes. My longest race was the Spartan Sprint, a 5k obstacle course and it took 2 hours and 27 minutes. I really don't train for my races. I do Zumba 4x a week which has done wonders for my endurance and cardio. Keep up the good work. 5k's are a type of thing that you either love them or hate them. Your first will either be your last or you become addicted. I'm addicted!!
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first 5K after a major injury a few weeks ago, so was a bit out of shape. Ran in 30:13. Have another one coming up on Dec 8, so I have a couple of weeks to get in a bit better shape!
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    28:31 - I've just started recording my time this month. Previously my goal was just to survive to the end, now I'm trying to get faster - i love having the 5k time as a target.
  • FiftyandGettingBetter
    Options
    I started running te end of 2008, until my knee started hurting and I quit! Sad, I know. My best time was 34:27.
    I started running again 9 weeks age, I ran a 5k two weeks ago, while falling short of wanting to get a sub 30 5k, I ran it in 32:29. Not to bad.... 5 years older and 15lbs lighter. Will be running in a Jingle Bell run tomorrow... who knows... might have a new PR in less than 24hrs!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    New PB at my last Turkey Trot, 22:23, 7:10 average pace. My goal was under 24:00, so I was pumped for that! New goal, under a 7:00 mile in a 5k.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    22:20 was my best, in 2011 (I think). Going for a new PB in May at the Ottawa Race Weekend.
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I have my first actual 5km run on January 1st so I don't have a time from a chip run. But timing myself the fastest was just over 33 mins.
  • gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My best so far is 22:27 which was good enough to take 3rd in my age group. Finishing 5th for your first 5k is a great accomplishment in my book...