FREE DAYS ARE A HORRIBLE IDEA

Options

Replies

• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people must instantly respond with attacks. Why would that be anyone's first response? I cannot get my head around it....

I literally did not see one single person respond with an "attack."

OP posted a rather strongly opinionated title "FREE DAYS ARE A HORRIBLE IDEA" which many people on here disagreed with based on personal experience. Naturally, many who responded here are defensive and put off by the OP's accusations. They are simply trying to show her that her opinion isn't necessarily right. How is that attacking her?

An attack would be, "OP, you are an idiot. If you honestly think cheat meals are a bad idea you are not welcome here!!! what a stupid thing to say!!!! GET OUT WE HATE YOU!"

Sorry, I just think people are way too sensitive on these boards.

Anywho, I agree with most of what's been said - if cheat days don't work for you, OP, that's fine... but for many of us they work just fine. In fact, to many of us they aren't "cheat" days at all, because this is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

I also think these kinds of threads do more harm than good because as someone else mentioned, this is why we see threads all the time like "omg I binged and went 500 cals over my goal now I've ruined my hard work I give up :(" Because threads like these told people new to weight loss that cheat days are awful.

OP thinks that free days are a horrible idea. Is she not allowed her opinion? The first comment in was rather a rude one. So yeah. Anyhoo, YOU don't have to like it. Sure there are some hypersensitive people on these boards. But they are usually the ones who respond with instant rudeness and attacks. If you don't agree, and can't show disagreement respectfully, I think it is better to move on and not say a word.

because you are never oversensitive and always show disagreement respectfully, right?

Full disclosure: ^this was my first thought as well.

(Crank...GET OUT OF MAH BRAIN NAOWWW!)

ETA: Reading through the rest of the thread, I see that things got worse and not better.

but I like it in your brain...it's fun in there.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    People do seem quite protective about their cheat days, but I can't be fussed about ruffling a few feathers.

Which is why you posted your thread title in all caps. It was sure to attract the most amount of people who want to disagree with you because you were shouting.

Six pages of attention. Well done.
  • skl06
    skl06 Posts: 1
    Options
    i agree with you for my personal experience. i don't do well when I go over my caloric limit
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Free days keep me from crying.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP. You didn't add enough fine print to satisfy those who refuse to do some thinking and concluding that you are not suggesting that every single person in the world do as you suggest. I actually understand that you are putting a suggestion out there for people who do run into this problem. People who don't run into this problem are apparently obligated by legal contact to stop by and burn you at the stake and accuse you of trying to take over the world.

tumblr_mdjtbmkjx61rp7g3w.gif

Best gif ever! You win! :flowerforyou:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    They are a horrible idea for some people. They are a fantastic idea for others. Do what works for you and good luck doing it!
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I havent read back through all the the thread (I will) but I wanted to add that I normally eat about 1500-1700 cals a day if I am lucky.. I have to REALLY try to eat 1600. For the past three days I took a break and while I ate over my calories and slightly over maintaining one of those three days... I FINALLY lost inches and didnt gain a pound. Sometimes your body needs the extra fat and cals if your really strict. It's a shocker and it helped me (at least this week.)
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not familiar with the "free day" concept. Is it where you intentionally eat things that you know you shouldn't? Or you just tell yourself not to feel guilty about eating whatever you want for a day? Or...
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I don't particulary "budget" a free day, as for me that would lead to all sorts of pre-planning for the worst possible outcome on those days.

However, if I have something going on, like I just had with my son's graduation from college, I won't let the 1K extra calories I had get me all out of sorts. 1 day does not make/break any regular diet..consistently doing it however, does.

Edited to fix my ridiculous spelling/grammer crap.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Two words: beer, whiskey. That is all.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    my "cheat day" always stays within my caloric intake... so I guess i dont need to worry about it.

"Cheat day"...I do not think this means what you think it means.

tumblr_lroen5OC4z1qhgr6oo1_400_zps6eb85476.gif

INCONCEIVABLE!!! *sorry, couldn't resist*
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not familiar with the "free day" concept. Is it where you intentionally eat things that you know you shouldn't? Or you just tell yourself not to feel guilty about eating whatever you want for a day? Or...
    There are no foods you shouldn't eat.

A free day/cheat day just means enjoying food for your sanity rather than for weightloss for a day. Usually that would mean a substantial amount more than you usually eat.
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Two words: beer, whiskey. That is all.

Ditto.

My bad days are usually because I consume like 500-1000 calories in whiskey and beer.
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    I have free days-more like free meals. I eat ANYTHING I want. I am only down 9.6 pounds in the last 3 weeks, but I am thrilled with that number. I dont feel like I am dieting, because I am NOT dieting. I am changing my lifestyle to a healthier one. But in having times where I eat anything I want, I do not feel deprived nor do I feel like I have to 'cheat'. I record them usually and dont worry about it. There is no reason to fear monger like this. We are all different. If it works for you, great, but being so strict doesnt work for everyone.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I used to have cheat days & meals and it would lead on me on a downhill spiral. Now if i'm craving something like a 2 bite banana bread choc chip muffin... i'll have it. I find a small splurge like that (120 cals for 2) curbs my craving & I still keep my calories & macros in check.
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Everyday of my life is a "free" day and I'm a thin, healthy, happy person. I finally don't obsess about calorie intake anymore. I've been on both sides of the spectrum, so my situation is a bit unique. I'm a recovered anorexic and my anorexia almost killed me. But after anorexia, I went the opposite way and experienced a long period of binge eating where I became nearly obese. Since then I've lost close to 50 lbs. Today I can eat out at a restaurant without freaking out. I can eat food other people made me without panicking inside secretly and instead enjoy it and be grateful. I can eat more when I'm extra hungry and eat less when I'm not.

So thanks, but no.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm more into eating healthy in all aspects of my life, so I don't have "cheat days." I also don't panic if I eat something that's not entirely healthy. A little bit of junk is okay, so long the junk doesn't make up a significant portion of my diet.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    AND THE WINNER IS . . .

Sorry OP. You didn't add enough fine print to satisfy those who refuse to do some thinking and concluding that you are not suggesting that every single person in the world do as you suggest. I actually understand that you are putting a suggestion out there for people who do run into this problem. People who don't run into this problem are apparently obligated by legal contact to stop by and burn you at the stake and accuse you of trying to take over the world.

:)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    AND THE WINNER IS . . .

:)

Are you talking to yourself? Aren't you the OP?
  • jorge_007
    jorge_007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what's it like to have a cheat day. I must eat 3240-4000 to maintain my weight, so basically I cheat everyday. Running is my daily hobby, so that's how I'm able to eat so much in a day. Last week I only took in 1840 calories a day and dropped 3 lbs.