I'm curious, what's your experience with Gaydar?

Options

Replies

• diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    My bacondar is pretty good.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just live off the assumption that all women are comfortable going both ways.

NO, most of us are not interested in swinging both ways. At all. Ever. That's some male sexual fantasy.

Whatever. Females fantasize about it too.
    Unwarranted generalization. I love sex, but with another woman...? Gah. Ewww. No. Not a fantasy. HUGE turn-off.

Um, aren't you the one making unwarranted generalizations there by saying "most women"... right.

My thoughts exactly.

I know PLENTY of ladies who are bisexual or pansexual. Just because you might not know them all, don't assume that "most" women might not be interested in more than one sex. And there's nothing "ewww" about it, either. Everybody's just people.

Yep. Not every lesbian looks like a trucker. There's more of us out there than you realize! When I was single, most of the ladies I "hooked up" with claimed to be straight before we did the deed :-) lots of ladies experiment, more than you think, trust me!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    My Gaydar is horrible, even though I'm gay. Maybe it's because no one ever thinks I'm gay, so I obviously don't cater to stereotypes.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    My Gaydar is horrible, even though I'm gay. Maybe it's because no one ever thinks I'm gay, so I obviously don't cater to stereotypes.

I couldn't have told my looks alone......but I could have told once we went out.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm bisexual. I would think that most people would not suspect it, except for other women that I was interested in back when I was dating. Now, I'm married to a man, so probably no one suspects it at all. But, when I was dating women, people would think I was a lesbian.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I just don't give a rats *kitten*, so it's not something I'm walking around trying to figure out. Only once in my life have I had a lesbian hit on me and not react gracefully when I told her that I was straight (not narrow) and flattered, but no thanks.

I just don't see the need to figure out someone's sexuality, nor do I see the need to flaunt it, gay, straight, or bi. I don't choose my friends by who they go home with at night--although I draw the line at kids and animals...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    nor do I see the need to flaunt it, gay, straight, or bi. I don't choose my friends by who they go home with at night--although I draw the line at kids and animals...

Well of course, committing a crime and intentionally harming a child or animal is not the same as adults having consensual relationships. That would be what a sociopath and rapist does.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter if a person is gay or straight?

Gaydar? How immature.

Not to pull out the protractor and thick rimmed glasses here, but there IS actually a phenomenon of "gaydar" that's been shown in quite a few studies. Everything from how someone's eyes, mouth, etc. look, to their pheromones, can let (generally women and other gay men, in particular) someone else know another's orientation in as little as half a second.

Does it matter? Well, if you're a gay man hoping to find another gay man to be with, or a straight woman trying to find a man who'd want to procreate with you, then yeah, it would matter, wouldn't it? I don't think "gaydar" is a matter of "immaturity," it's just a slangy term for a reality of human's current evolutionary state of love and sex. Loving and accepting people no matter what they are, who they are, who they want to be with, whatever, is obviously an ultimate goal for everyone.

^ THIS.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Really?

Sounds like mega BS.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    NO, most of us are not interested in swinging both ways. At all. Ever. A few women maybe, but.... that's some male sexual fantasy.

That's a pretty big generalization you have there. You can't speak for most women, you can only speak for yourself. Just because you're apparently "grossed out" by it doesn't mean only a "few" women are into it.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    well...i sort of sensed it when i met my best friend in Canada..., Our parents are super conservative Asians and when her family moved to Canada in the 80's i barely knew her then.

I finally went to live with them when i went to college there...and she gave me her room , while she slept in the basement. Each time we hung out i sensed 'something' about her. We became really close friends and to this day i think of her as my sister. She finally told me she was gay , one evening when we went out for a drive to burn a particularly hideous pair of satin underpants an email penpal decided to send me:laugh: :noway: ...as a crazy fun thing to do on a Friday night:laugh: .....i think at the end of the day...i sort of sensed she was trying to tell me ...and true enough...it all came out and i wasn't surprised in the least. I was the first person she told.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Lol, I live in the SF Bay Area and have a gay older brother.................I think I'd be pretty good with assuming.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I've had a few guys hit on me over the years. If their gaydar is working correctly, they must know something I don't. Why the heck am I always the last to be told!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Gay here and i have no gaydar. The reason i never talk or try to hit on anyone :(
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I can usually tell with guys, not always with women though.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    NO, most of us are not interested in swinging both ways. At all. Ever. That's some male sexual fantasy.

Depends on the demographic of your social circle. Only about 15% of my female friends are 100% straight.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I have enough to worry about just trying to live my own life, let alone trying to figure out someone else's sexuality.

And frankly, I am not too sure about my own. Live and let love.

531716_558963890790341_354725156_n.jpg

I borrowed this image from a very religious friend and altered it for her. She was not pleased. I was.
  • ziggiezambi
    ziggiezambi Posts: 253
    Options
    Can we all just start wearing shirts with what we like on it.:ohwell: I think that would make everything easier. xD
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I can always tell when people are gay before they even admit it or know it themselves. I was friends with a boy all through middle and high school, and as soon as I met him I knew he was gay, though he insisted he as not and that was "gross." He finally came out junior year and I was like like, no ****, Sherlock.

Same with another guy I was friends with. He was obviously gay (unfortunately that didn't stop me from having a huge crush on him, so frustrating!) but he didn't come to terms with it until last year.

My fiance's little cousin is 6 years old and I just know he's gonna be gay. Or transgender. It is just so obvious to me and my fiance. Unfortunately his parents are those types like "no son of mine is gonna be a *kitten*" and how if any of them were a "*kitten*" they'd be disowned. Sad, really.

That's a horrible thing to say to say to ANY child. :cry: That poor little boy.

I know what you mean about sensing kids' future orientation. My sister is a teacher and gets that different vibe from a few students. One day she asked the 6-7 year-olds to call out words beginning with "G". After some kids had listed Ghost, Golf club, Giraffe, etc. one little boy suggested (in a precious voice) "The Gap?"

No one has a right to Predetermine any Child's destiny for them. Simply by thinking or believing a child is "whatever" will determine how that child is treated, hence, maybe adding confusion to who that child is or how he/she thinks of themself. STOP judging KIDS!!! Give them an Opportunity to Choose for themselves an Identity!