Options
    ******** edited cuz' I felt like it :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    How did I miss this thread today???

Anyhow, in...

...obviously.

ETA: And now I go back to read through to see how an otherwise epic thread like this could be derailed.

*sigh* MFP. This is why we can't have nice things.

Actually it is mostly ok! you will be surprised

It was *mostly* okay...but seems likely still to be derailed. (It's times like these that I wish the mods were more directly involved in the forums so they could see how the otherwise awesome flow of this thread is being unnecessarily diverted and take the rather simple steps to keep it on the rails with a few surgical mod actions.) And just so we're clear, I don't mind the dissent...it's the nonsensical delivery/inconsistency in position.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Great thread!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I posted this earlier in another "women lifting" thread, but it bears repeating.

Consider me an example of how "bulky" you can get. My profile pic was taken 2 days ago. It's a little blurry, but I think you get the point. Unfortunately, I don't have any better shots of my physique. I'm kinda shy, but maybe I'll post some.

I've been lifting heavy for over 30 years, and I compete in powerlifting. So if anyone would get bulky from heavy lifting, it would be me. Nope. In fact, I used to compete in the 148-pound class when I was in college, but now I'm in the 123-pound class.

I just had a competition Saturday (May 11). I weighed in at 119.5. I'm 5'4" and 50 years old. My lifts were:

Squat 170 (pounds)
    Bench Press 115
    Deadlift 245
    Total 530

Oh, the humanity. What a tragedy! :sad:

I only got "bulky" when I stopped lifting for a few years and ate ALL the food! :noway: And it wasn't pretty, let me tell you.

Anyway, don't be afraid of getting under heavy iron. Your bones will thank you later! :drinker:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping my body is a slammin' as Sara's when I'm her age. I'm constantly chasing her lifting numbers. :sad:

*hides under the desk*
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I'm hoping my body is a slammin' as Sara's when I'm her age. I'm constantly chasing her lifting numbers. :sad:

*hides under the desk*

If it makes you feel any better, I'm chasing her lifting numbers too.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

*hides under the desk*

I got you beat Jof, it's all good. :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

*hides under the desk*

tSTkMTM.gif
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

*hides under the desk*

tSTkMTM.gif

Nawww.... I'm sorry.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    In for the bulky ladies! Y'all are HOT!
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bump to read at home
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Women lifting heavy weights.....not even once
    428702_546269938745229_956126559_n.jpg
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Hopefully soon I'll be manly enough to make part 2!

<-- I mean seriously, just look at my boyish figure!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I am of the school of thought that you get size and strength doing heavy weights with low reps, and if you want cuts and definition, you want to do more reps and lower weights. The latter would also keep your heart rate up and help lose the fat. However, someone on my FL pointed out to me that my school of thought could be outdated. So currently, I am doing more research. You can find a lot of good info on the net (bodybuildingforum.com).

However, it must be noted, that it was not my intention to attack anyone despite the appearances. So I extend an apology. Should have been more tactful.

My own goal is to stay healthy and fit and look good. Yes, I am vain, I want to look good. So I lift heavy for the glamour muscles but also do a lot of lighter weight, more reps routines, along with cardio. So yeah, my goal is not to be able to lift the back of a truck, more like going to the beach and winning!

Google "mr. Olympia reps per set" and tell me what you learn. You couldn't be more wrong.

haha....you sure you wanted to tell me this. please read:

seems like this mr olympia guy totally agrees with me.

more additionally, haha and ho ho, we are not mr olympia guy dude! but thanks for the funnies.

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/blog/steve/mr-olympia-muscle-the-truth/

Also, the above cited research (not the link i posted but further above) is an opinion piece and is a clown link. I was not going to post in here anymore but just my last post.

Additionally, if someone makes a nice blog post that does not make it research.

More additionally, it was said that my true colors came through when I was angry, but I was not angry nor do I lose my anger very often. A smile never left my face.

Further additionally, to each their own.

Au revoir, so long, hasta lavista, namaste...........
    Haha....typical reaction on your part. Disagree with the badassness of your highness on your mega thousand pound daily routine and, Oh no you insulted me, you insulted all womenzhood, how dare you, you misogynist, sexist pig of an excuse of a man!!!!!!

I sometimes smile when I'm angry too. Still means I'm angry. You took out whatever personal messed up issues you have in your personal life on somebody who's a true inspiration to many on this site.

The question is, what're you really angry about? I just don't get it. Theres plenty of help out there. For starters, eat that snickers bar and then i'll be willing you PM you a few help hotlines because it worries me how you lash out on the internet. I mean, I know you don't do that in real life because... well lets face it because that requires strength you and (according to you), you don't have any. But sometimes people mix real life and internet life and lash out in real life thinking there won't be any repercussion and are proven wrong. I think you should fix whatever is bothering you before that happens to you :(

Please get some help or PM me and i'll maybe point you towards folks who can help you. I worry about you dude.

:flowerforyou:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    <
    turns out my *kitten* got all 'bulky'. Yep, I'm pretty much a man now, and I'm not a bit sorry. :tongue:
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    V well said.. all those ladies are incredible! I also love to lift but im still erring on the side of bulky/fat *read fat*.

That said.. I can see where others are coming from when they say this kind of thing is rammed down their throats regularly. Not everyone is saying women will get bulky from lifting- the main concensus seems to be that it isn't for them becuase they don't aspire to an athletic build/visible muscles. They may not put this across in the best way however.

But when all is said and done.. I do want visible muscles and to look athletic and so I'm going to carry on in my lifting ways until I get what I want :) welld done to all above :flowerforyou:

I just think perhaps everyone should lay off everyone and of course give your opinion but maybe not make it feel like a personal vendetta to all who perhaps dont agree :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    V well said.. all those ladies are incredible! I also love to lift but im still erring on the side of bulky/fat *read fat*.

That said.. I can see where others are coming from when they say this kind of thing is rammed down their throats regularly. Not everyone is saying women will get bulky from lifting- the main concensus seems to be that it isn't for them becuase they don't aspire to an athletic build/visible muscles. They may not put this across in the best way however.

But when all is said and done.. I do want visible muscles and to look athletic and so I'm going to carry on in my lifting ways until I get what I want :) welld done to all above :flowerforyou:

I just think perhaps everyone should lay off everyone and of course give your opinion but maybe not make it feel like a personal vendetta to all who perhaps dont agree :)

I absolutely agree that the aesthetics does get rammed down people's throats a lot. If someone does not like visible muscles, that is absolutely their prerogative and there is nothing wrong with it.

However, there are still many many threads, daily, that start with 'I don't want to get bulky' which shows that there is still a huge misconception as to what lifting will do and may well put people off strength training, which is very important outside aesthetics, especially with regard to bone density and trying to stave off osteoporosis.

Is heavy lifting the only way to go? Absolutely not. Is having visible muscles the only way to look? Absolutely not. Is strength training of any sort highly beneficial? Absolutely.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

If you know me (or rather, my posts) you will learn that I NEVER EVER encourage anyone to a workout that I think is best for them. I have ALWAYS advocated anyone and everyone to do something that they enjoy doing and can do it for a long time. Now, enjoyment can be brought on due to results. I don't necessarily like lifting myself personally. But I like the results. So now, I lift!

What this thread was geard towards wasn't so much so encouraging the ladies to weight lift, but more towards discouraging the people screaming "you will bulk if you lift as a woman!". Because that is just utter non-sense. You don't get bulky unless you want to and work REALLY hard towards it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Taunto I freakin love you man.
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options

If you know me (or rather, my posts) you will learn that I NEVER EVER encourage anyone to a workout that I think is best for them. I have ALWAYS advocated anyone and everyone to do something that they enjoy doing and can do it for a long time. Now, enjoyment can be brought on due to results. I don't necessarily like lifting myself personally. But I like the results. So now, I lift!

What this thread was geard towards wasn't so much so encouraging the ladies to weight lift, but more towards discouraging the people screaming "you will bulk if you lift as a woman!". Because that is just utter non-sense. You don't get bulky unless you want to and work REALLY hard towards it.

I couldn't agree more, I was just making a point that I can see why these people go on rants thay lifting will make you 'bulky' (in whatever way they mean..) because really there are pretty much equal amounts of posts for both sides.

I think lifting is great I have seen my body changw in more subtle ways such as my shoulder/collar bone area is much tighter.. I probably wouldn't get thay from just running and restricting my diet, my (already large) calves are more defined and have that lovely dip, and my large behind has lifted and is more rounded! Yeah I still have a lot of body fat but it's these small changes that let me know it absolutely is right for me. Plus.. these days.. under my jiggly belly are obliques of steel! YAY SQUATS!

I guess what I was trying to say was... yay for lifting, but yay for whatever you want to do and what works for you :) there are just too many *you're wrong* posts (I'm not saying that is what this is at all.. just that some may see it that way)

Thanks for an awesome thread with awesome bamf females! :)