lifting is the most horrible thing to a woman since Twiggy

Replies

• kelly_lake
    kelly_lake Posts: 25 Member
    Excellent thread :D
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    V well said.. all those ladies are incredible! I also love to lift but im still erring on the side of bulky/fat *read fat*.

That said.. I can see where others are coming from when they say this kind of thing is rammed down their throats regularly. Not everyone is saying women will get bulky from lifting- the main concensus seems to be that it isn't for them becuase they don't aspire to an athletic build/visible muscles. They may not put this across in the best way however.

But when all is said and done.. I do want visible muscles and to look athletic and so I'm going to carry on in my lifting ways until I get what I want :) welld done to all above :flowerforyou:

I just think perhaps everyone should lay off everyone and of course give your opinion but maybe not make it feel like a personal vendetta to all who perhaps dont agree :)

I absolutely agree that the aesthetics does get rammed down people's throats a lot. If someone does not like visible muscles, that is absolutely their prerogative and there is nothing wrong with it.

However, there are still many many threads, daily, that start with 'I don't want to get bulky' which shows that there is still a huge misconception as to what lifting will do and may well put people off strength training, which is very important outside aesthetics, especially with regard to bone density and trying to stave off osteoporosis.

Is heavy lifting the only way to go? Absolutely not. Is having visible muscles the only way to look? Absolutely not. Is strength training of any sort highly beneficial? Absolutely.

^^^ this

if someone is put off from doing something that would benefit them and help them achieve their goals, because of a reason that's that's a total myth, then really those that know it's a myth should do their best to show people that it is just a myth. That's all that's happening with these threads.... myth busting. People can take this or leave it. But for those who want to look lean and "toned" and want to firm up their bodies, then doing weight/strength training will help them achieve that, and refusing to do it for fear of "getting bulky" is counterproductive.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I am a bit slow on the uptake at times...cos before I realised this was a funny thread I thought what is the OP talking about! those bodies are FABULOUS! :-D thanks for posting!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    How did I miss this thread today???

Anyhow, in...

...obviously.

ETA: And now I go back to read through to see how an otherwise epic thread like this could be derailed.

*sigh* MFP. This is why we can't have nice things.

Actually it is mostly ok! you will be surprised

It was *mostly* okay...but seems likely still to be derailed. (It's times like these that I wish the mods were more directly involved in the forums so they could see how the otherwise awesome flow of this thread is being unnecessarily diverted and take the rather simple steps to keep it on the rails with a few surgical mod actions.) And just so we're clear, I don't mind the dissent...it's the nonsensical delivery/inconsistency in position.

*waves*......volunteer mod here.........did you report the infraction? Not all reports are for huge issues. Some are for 'wrong section' or derailing a thread and we are happy to delete the post. :drinker:

I am just here reading the thread as an MFP member.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member

Anyhow, in...

...obviously.

ETA: And now I go back to read through to see how an otherwise epic thread like this could be derailed.

It was *mostly* okay...but seems likely still to be derailed. (It's times like these that I wish the mods were more directly involved in the forums so they could see how the otherwise awesome flow of this thread is being unnecessarily diverted and take the rather simple steps to keep it on the rails with a few surgical mod actions.) And just so we're clear, I don't mind the dissent...it's the nonsensical delivery/inconsistency in position.

*waves*......volunteer mod here.........did you report the infraction? Not all reports are for huge issues. Some are for 'wrong section' or derailing a thread and we are happy to delete the post. :drinker:

Reporting you for derailment of my thread
  • arewethereyet

Anyhow, in...

...obviously.

Oh honey, if you only knew me. I could derail the Pope from Easter Services :laugh:
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    :laugh:
  • taunto

Anyhow, in...

...obviously.

Oh honey, if you only knew me. I could derail the Pope from Easter Services :laugh:

The Pope and I are best buds. He went to my college. He was also in the Presidents list with me.

I think the Pope prefers me. Sorry but your mod powers are helpless when it comes to our Pope and mine bromance. A Promance if you will!
  • arewethereyet
    When I started at the gym this woman my age came walking towards me. All 100ish (looked like) pounds 5'2" of her. I said "I am hiring a trainer because I want to learn to lift, not to eat lettuce. I don't mean to be rude but I hope we are a good fit"

She laughed and continued to walk to the Gorilla Room, which is what I call the free weights because it looks like a cage and is all black and gray.

She then went to the linear sled and put ALL the weights on it and proceeded to do her reps. I don't remember how much the weights were, but by the 3rd rep there were 4 guys standing around us in disbelief.

Turned out she weighed closer to 120 and had stronger legs than her boyfriend 20 yrs her junior. That woman looks anything but bulky (insert drool smiley)

Now that my health is in order you have to go remind me lifting is next. Damn you Taunt(ing)o:grumble:
  • arewethereyet

Anyhow, in...

...obviously.

The Pope and I are best buds. He went to my college. He was also in the Presidents list with me.

I think the Pope prefers me. Sorry but your mod powers are helpless when it comes to our Pope and mine bromance. A Promance if you will!

I will just quit then, the pay sux anyway:tongue:
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Bump for later

Note to self: laughing @ MFP at work can seriously damage job prospects
  • FlowersInTheDirt
    FlowersInTheDirt Posts: 124 Member
    :noway:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Yep, these are pretty much the women whose photos I see on here and think, 'Wow, that's what I want'. They all look great, class thread Taunto.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Great thread...
  • This thread reminds me I need to lift some heavy stuff today! Would love to PR on DL (my favorite lift). It's been a while since I've done so but I did hit my initial goal of 2x BW. Enough about goals and lifting PRs because that isn't my main focus in this post.

The thing is--lifting is about so much more than aesthetics. For ME it's about a quiet confidence that radiates from the inside out. When I lift the negative self talk diminishes and all of a sudden I view my body with a new found respect and appreciation. It truly is rewarding because progress is observable each and every session--be it pushing myself to failure, doing 1 rep more than I though I could, or adding another 5 pounds to a lift. That isn't about whether my muscles are a bit more cut than they were before or whether my toosh is perkier--those are nice secondary benefits but the true beauty of lifting comes from how it changes me from the inside (mentally) out.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    This thread reminds me I need to lift some heavy stuff today! Would love to PR on DL (my favorite lift). It's been a while since I've done so but I did hit my initial goal of 2x BW. Enough about goals and lifting PRs because that isn't my main focus in this post.

The thing is--lifting is about so much more than aesthetics. For ME it's about a quiet confidence that radiates from the inside out. When I lift the negative self talk diminishes and all of a sudden I view my body with a new found respect and appreciation. It truly is rewarding because progress is observable each and every session--be it pushing myself to failure, doing 1 rep more than I though I could, or adding another 5 pounds to a lift. That isn't about whether my muscles are a bit more cut than they were before or whether my toosh is perkier--those are nice secondary benefits but the true beauty of lifting comes from how it changes me from the inside (mentally) out.

tumblr_mlsmeqR4m11qdlh1io1_400.gif
  • cerexflikex
    cerexflikex Posts: 58
    Great thread!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I am of the school of thought that you get size and strength doing heavy weights with low reps, and if you want cuts and definition, you want to do more reps and lower weights. The latter would also keep your heart rate up and help lose the fat. However, someone on my FL pointed out to me that my school of thought could be outdated. So currently, I am doing more research. You can find a lot of good info on the net (bodybuildingforum.com).

However, it must be noted, that it was not my intention to attack anyone despite the appearances. So I extend an apology. Should have been more tactful.

My own goal is to stay healthy and fit and look good. Yes, I am vain, I want to look good. So I lift heavy for the glamour muscles but also do a lot of lighter weight, more reps routines, along with cardio. So yeah, my goal is not to be able to lift the back of a truck, more like going to the beach and winning!

I could point you in the right direction and mention where and how you are wrong...but apparently I do not know anything.

ETA: you seemed to know how to quote so I am wondering why you are not quoting your insults to me in your 'apology'.

Ladies and Gentlemen: this is what is called "mansplaining." However, for information on how to look like the ladies in this post, I suggest that you take the advice of the ladies in this post.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    I will be featured here in 6 months!
  • taunto
    This thread reminds me I need to lift some heavy stuff today! Would love to PR on DL (my favorite lift). It's been a while since I've done so but I did hit my initial goal of 2x BW. Enough about goals and lifting PRs because that isn't my main focus in this post.

I just wanna outlift the girls on my Friends list dangit! :(